Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
vamp
vamp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Kindle touch special offer qn

Hi all

I just got my KTSO,

I realize that even in sleep mode, the screen saver is auto refersh aft certain time. Would it shorten the batt. life?

Thx
vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Hello,

I don't think the screensaver will auto-refresh with a new ad if you aren't using it.

Either way, the effect on battery life would be negligible.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My K3 doesn't change screensavers until I cycle it on & off.

And like mewmartigan said, the effect on the battery is negligible.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Hello,

I don't think the screensaver will auto-refresh with a new ad if you aren't using it.

Either way, the effect on battery life would be negligible.
I'm pretty sure mine (K4NT) has changed overnight after it automatically downloads new offers, but i agree the impact on battery life would be negligible. If it's a concern, just keep WiFi off as that will use far more power while downloading the offers than one simple refresh of the screen.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
My K4NT most definately does change the special offer screen saver even when it's off. I don't keep wifi on all the time. I only turn it on when I need to. I've noticed the screen saver change from when I last picked it up.

Once or twice it actually changed in front of my eyes. I was at a restaurant out of the country and had it on the table. It was off & no wifi. It changed. Scared the heck out of me at first because I thought I had done something or was seeing something. LOL Then I was at a friends giving her a demo & it changed while we were looking at it. Again, it was off and no wifi on.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Same here mine changes as well with WiFi off. I first thought I was going senile. I also have found it turning WiFi on I thought the first times I had left it on but I know the last 2 times I hadn't touch WiFi in over a week. Rather this is normal or my unit is buggy I don't know.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well Blossom, if yours is buggy then so is mine! Mine does the same thing. I thought I was seeing things when it first changed. WTH???

I think we're both ok though & it's a normal thing for the units. lol
Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've noticed that mine changes every now and again in between uses, but I never paid it much attention. It was some work-out thing for locals, and somehow changed to a tax preparation screen. I just figured there was some kind of long-time delay between auto screen-saver rotation.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Well Blossom, if yours is buggy then so is mine! Mine does the same thing. I thought I was seeing things when it first changed. WTH???

I think we're both ok though & it's a normal thing for the units. lol
Does your WiFi comes on by itself too? I figure it does that to download new offers.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Does your WiFi comes on by itself too? I figure it does that to download new offers.
Not that I'm aware of. Or if it does, it turns on to get the new ad then turns off but I don't think that it does that. I could be wrong obviously but I don't think it can do that.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. Or if it does, it turns on to get the new ad then turns off but I don't think that it does that. I could be wrong obviously but I don't think it can do that.
I didn't think mine could either but if I leave WiFi off for a long time like says 4 days it turns itself on. I figure it's a bug with the unit. If I sync every couple days it stays off.

At first I thought I was forgetting to turn it off so last time I made a note of turning it off and the date then 4 days later it was on and I have new ad that wasn't on the offers list 4 days ago.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I didn't think mine could either but if I leave WiFi off for a long time like says 4 days it turns itself on. I figure it's a bug with the unit. If I sync every couple days it stays off.

At first I thought I was forgetting to turn it off so last time I made a note of turning it off and the date then 4 days later it was on and I have new ad that wasn't on the offers list 4 days ago.

I doubt it's turning the wifi on & off. I've been in locations where I have no wifi connection so it couldn't possilby do that. It might make sense if you're at home where you have a saved connection but if you're somewhere where there is no wifi at all, let alone a preferred connection, it just couldn't happen that way.

It's happening some other way for sure but not through wifi.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
vamp
vamp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
I doubt it's turning the wifi on & off. I've been in locations where I have no wifi connection so it couldn't possilby do that. It might make sense if you're at home where you have a saved connection but if you're somewhere where there is no wifi at all, let alone a preferred connection, it just couldn't happen that way.

It's happening some other way for sure but not through wifi.
I have the same thought with Shopaholic. My SV auto-refreshed thrice, 1 at my home where the wifi reference had been saved, and 2 at locations where there were no wifi at all. My device is always in wifi off mode btw. So I think the device itself has some memory or function that refresh the SV by its own. That said I just wonder if it would affect the batt, since it has to use some kind of power to do it. Thats why i was asking.

Last edited by vamp; 01-19-2012 at 11:02 PM.
vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
The WiFi goes into a sleep mode where it's basically only 'listening' and only at certain intervals unless it receives a very specific 'wakeup' ping. That puts it back into 'active' mode and allows for updates and transfers.

It uses very little power except when in 'active' mode. That would be why it can update those offers on the screen at times. Usually it happens when an offer has expired so you're no longer seeing something that isn't available.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oh no it doesn't turn off. When it happens I turn on my K4 and find the WiFi on and the battery drained more then I would like. I know I hadn't messed with WiFi for days to finally find a new offer and my WiFi on! It only happens if I don't turn wifi on for a few days other wise it stays off if I sync every other day. It just started happening this month.

In fact it started right after the unit froze for the first time. I have restarting a few times too to see if something was stuck.

At first I thought I was losing it. Then I starting logging the Turn on and Turn off times. I eyeballed my cats but that's not possible! The K4 sits on it own shelf where they can't reach. My hubby never touch my K4 and has no interests now the Kindle Fire is another matter. He needs his own!

The only thing I can think of is there is something wonky with my unit.