Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
LostJen
LostJen began at the beginning.

Device: Pi server - Win10/iPhone/iPad + 2 others with Kindles in house
[IOS] v2.0.0 iOS issues

First let me ask the release notes claimed CC was moving to a subscription model. Please, please say this is some form of following books and automatically getting newer copies. If it isn't, is a $10 app really going to try and start charging subscriptions on top of that? I know I only paid that much to support the community, but if more is added there a tons of good readers with OPDS support that don't cost as much as CC did to start with.

Next: The update cleared all of my server settings, but it gave no notice it was going to. I took me a try before I realized it couldn't find anything. Typing all of that again was a nuisance for a product at this price point.

Finally: OPDS support with username/password is broken! OK on the dialog box is disabled even when I type data in box boxes. I can't actually click OK so I can't log in. I only updated my phone, so the iPad running the older version works fine. So does Freda+ on my Win 10 box.

Edit: I actually only switched from a different reader and calibre on dropbox a few days ago. I only bought this app 4 days ago so the subscription bit really worries me.

Last edited by LostJen; 09-18-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added date of purchase
LostJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Are we talking about calibre companion? I have the last version (upper than 2.0.0.0), and I think it doesn't have OPDS support
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
LostJen

iOS version 2.0.0 was just released. Are you running Android then? Below is a screenshot of the iOS App Store for CC.

Edit - Content Server is OPDS. Just a fancier name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PNG image.png
Views:	264
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	173538  

Last edited by LostJen; 09-18-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Clarify OPDS = Content Server
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
LostJen

I had a reply removed and there was no notification via email or PM? If it violated some rule please let me know. Otherwise given, I'm currently manic and paranoid as all h3ll I see it as suppression of unwanted truths. If this disappears then I leave a 1 star review documenting how the app is broken and they are going to shake us down for more money after the $10 and their support forum is nothing but a hugbox and dissent isn't allowed even with the app is broken.

I did also verify that both the iOS iPhone and iOS iPad builds have a permanently disabled OK.

The missing reply had an attachment that was a screen shot to the iOS store. V2.0.0 IS the current version and was just released less than a day ago.

OPDS = Content Server, sorry for not using the Calibre friendly version of the feature.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My Calibre Companion updated on my iPad Pro, and all of my books are gone from the app.

All 2,332 books are still in my iPad mini CC ap, which I've not updated.

I'm not happy.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
Ramp
Ramp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro (3rd Generation)
Thank god I waited to read reviews before I updating. I'm going to wait until the issues are sorted out and we learn more about this "subscription model" thing. I'm highly against subscription services with everything trying to become one these days.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If that is correct about the move to a subscription plan, I won't keep using it. It's a nice convenience, but not something I will pay continually for.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
jehrler
Enthusiast
jehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toys

Device: iphone
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJen View Post
First let me ask the release notes claimed CC was moving to a subscription model. Please, please say this is some form of following books and automatically getting newer copies. If it isn't, is a $10 app really going to try and start charging subscriptions on top of that? I know I only paid that much to support the community, but if more is added there a tons of good readers with OPDS support that don't cost as much as CC did to start with.

Next: The update cleared all of my server settings, but it gave no notice it was going to. I took me a try before I realized it couldn't find anything. Typing all of that again was a nuisance for a product at this price point.

Finally: OPDS support with username/password is broken! OK on the dialog box is disabled even when I type data in box boxes. I can't actually click OK so I can't log in. I only updated my phone, so the iPad running the older version works fine. So does Freda+ on my Win 10 box.

Edit: I actually only switched from a different reader and calibre on dropbox a few days ago. I only bought this app 4 days ago so the subscription bit really worries me.
I just came to post this warning as well. All your settings are zeroed out (as is your library) on your iOS device. You basically are back to ground zero.

While the faq discusses saving settings and library, at least on iOS there is no such option.

In addition, I use the Reading List plugsin to move all new books to my iPhone, and after the upgrade, even though the name of the device is the same, I needed to re-add the device to the plug-in while connected as a wireless device
jehrler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
jehrler
Enthusiast
jehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toysjehrler shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My Calibre Companion updated on my iPad Pro, and all of my books are gone from the app.

All 2,332 books are still in my iPad mini CC ap, which I've not updated.

I'm not happy.
Same happened to me. You can either connect as wireless and select all your books and move them or, if using the Reading List plug-in, add the "new" device to the list of devices in the plug-in.

You also need to reselect your grouping options, your read column preference, etc.

Very unfortunate that a mere update would 86 one's preferences and library with no heads up.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Things are pretty weird with the new developer:

A few weeks ago I recommended CC to a friend for his iPhone. He went to the store and we saw a new price of ~20€. He ended up buying Libreca which is a really awesome app that you can try for free.

Since then the price went down to 10€ and now again down to its original price (5.49€).

Also the latest changelog seems fishy:

- Subscription model is announced but not implemented and the app is still costing money.
- Swift upgrade (now the app is 2.4x faster) seems a joke to me.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
orchid500
orchid500 began at the beginning.

Device: WIN10/Iphone/Ipad
Hello @ all,
same problem here - all books are gone without warning!
But additional issues here:

- Before the update I could one-tap on the "On device" button and download several books at the same time - Now I have to make three clicks all over the screen for one book and wait until it is downloaded until I can click the next one! Or is there somewhere a collection function to download several books at once?
For me this means literally hours to download all my books with 3 clicks each again and then also manually set them as read - simply not acceptable.

- Overview (Tap on "Back" in the top left corner, usual view when not connected) does not show the thump nail pictures, just white placeholders and title + author in black writing. Could not find anything disabled in the settings that would explain this.
Also I am disconnected every time I look at the overview - when I change the view, I then have to connect again every time.

Also I am interested in the explanation for the "subscription model" change.

Not happy at all!
orchid500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #12
jehrler
Enthusiast

I just ran into the same issue as LostJen where trying to log in to the Content Server pops up a request for username and password but the OK option does not light up so no way to actually connect.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
akiba
akiba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Fully agree to all of the above - had exactly the same experience with the new version 2.0
Lost all of my books on the devices and had to reload them from my pc - what a pain ...
Content server cannot be connected to from within CC, only via the normal browser.
If CC is turning into a subscription model - I'm definitely out - that is a no go!!!
akiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJen View Post
iOS version 2.0.0 was just released. Are you running Android then? Below is a screenshot of the iOS App Store for CC.

Edit - Content Server is OPDS. Just a fancier name.
You're right, I've just seen it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Unfortunately I updated mine before reading this, but haven't opened it. If subscription, I, too, will stop using it. It is so much worse than the great Android version it was almost not worth it before the subscription model.

If I don't open it, is it possible to go back to a previous version in IOS?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote