Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
carmen2014
carmen2014 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
unavailable in my country

The book I found in Chapters is what I'd like to read on my Kobo but it's not available in my country. Scribd has it and I've a membership with them.
The site says
You're reading a preview as this title is unavailable in your country.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you this title due to territorial rights restrictions. We understand this is frustrating and aim to make all books available globally.
I tried using vpn UK where the book is originally from.
Any ideas?
carmen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
This is the most frustrating thing about being an ebook reader. There are several book I want to read but aren't available to me in the US. Personally, I just find other things to read. I'm not going to pirate, as I believe that authors have a right to determine how there work is distributed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Set up Adobe ADE 2.0. (NOT 3.0!)
Set up Alf's tools in Calibre.
Create an account at Kobo.
Try countries until you can buy the book.
Buy it.
Download the book.
De-drm, and read.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen2014 View Post
Any ideas?
"Territorial Rights", is an indirect result of the expense involved in printing and distributing books in places that are far from where the publisheris located. It was reinforced by differences in copyright law, in different places.

Neither of those excuses hold any merit in today's interconnected, global market place.
Perhaps more importantly, such policies ensure that diaspora populations are unable to legally access the content, with the direct result of an increase in unauthorised distribution of the content, and a decrease in sales of authorized content.

It is almost as if publishers would rather their books, etc were pirated, rather than legally purchased.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The idea is that a local publisher can sell more books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
It is almost as if [strikethrough]publishers[/strikethrough] authors would rather their books, etc were pirated, rather than legally purchased.

It's as author thing, not a publisher thing. Suhrkamp can't sell you a copy of "Die Brandung" (or whatever) because the author didn't sell them the US rights.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
deackychu
deackychu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I always found it strange that the pesky electronic versions of books cannot be sold internationally yet hardcopy versions can. Granted you can just "fudge" things and circumvent it by saying you live locally (temporarily) and bill it back home, but that's a pain in the arse sometimes.
deackychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
It is almost as if [strikethrough]publishers[/strikethrough] authors would rather their books, etc were pirated, rather than legally purchased.

It's as author thing, not a publisher thing. Suhrkamp can't sell you a copy of "Die Brandung" (or whatever) because the author didn't sell them the US rights.
It can be both.

A few years ago I actually e-mailed a few authors (after trying publishers and getting no answer) to ask about the unavailability of their books for me, and at least one of them got back to me and said that as far as she knows (and she'd consulted her agent, too) her US publisher had global ebook rights (or maybe it was global outside the other main English-speaking market, i.e. UK, Ireland, possibly Australia).

In other words, her publisher had the rights to sell the books to me and anyone else outside the US (and possibly UK). They just hadn't bothered. (She did promise to nudge her publisher, and a year or so later, the books did become available also for me.)

The impression I got at the time - not just in this case - was that some publishers felt that actually having the books on sale outside their main market, even if they didn't have to physically ship anything anywhere, was just too much hassle for what they probably assumed would be very little return. I don't know the accounting side of publishing, but perhaps it was (or used to be, or was considered to be) more cumbersome to do accounting with a few copies sold to a number of countries, or something?

Most of the time though, yeah, it's more an author thing than a publisher thing. Although it can be both - it can be that the author would be happy to sell the global rights too but the publisher doesn't wish to pay any extra or negotiate extra conditions because they don't expect a good enough return.

The one thing that annoys me is that while I understand authors holding back the rights for one or the other major English-language markets (e.g. a US author not wanting to give their US publisher global ebook rights because they expect to be picked up by a UK publisher as well, and the UK publisher would, naturally enough, wish to have UK ebook rights), there really is no point IMHO in holding back the rights for international sales outside the major English-speaking regions.

Publishers in most countries will never buy the book for translation (unless we're talking someone in Stephen King or Dan Brown bestseller range) and even if they do, most people in those countries who already prefer to read in English are not going to read the translation anyway if they at all can avoid that, so having English ebooks available shouldn't cannibalise the future potential sales of translations.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Would using the Tor browser make a difference?
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
Would using the Tor browser make a difference?
Which exit node are you using?? What country is it located in??

Hmm, could be difficult, that. Tor is supposed to be unpredictable.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think that the basic answer is that publishing and publishing contracts is a rather archaic area with lots of rules and contracts that made sense 30 years ago, but doesn't match the new reality. If a book is not available in a given market, it's because the copyright holder either doesn't want to make it available, or it is unclear who actually owns the ebook rights in that market. Sometimes for older books, it's a case of converting a paper book to ebook format.

To use an example of an author that is mentioned in other thread, both David Eddings and his wife died several years ago. It is unclear who the copyright holder is. It might be his alma mater, or it might be a sibling or sibling's heirs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #12
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I know what I would do in a case where the publisher doesn't want my money because of where I live. I'd not bend over backwards, install VPN software, or jump through other hoops to get a book that is available, but that the publisher prevents me from purchasing.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote