Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
moonshot
Connoisseur
moonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kobo touch
gap between paragraphs

I have just started my third book on my first ever e-reader, the Kobo Aura. A Ken Follett novel.

The first two books were OK but the third one has a gap between paragraphs rather than an indentation.

I would prefer that there wasn't a gap; is there any way I can change this?
moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
I have just started my third book on my first ever e-reader, the Kobo Aura. A Ken Follett novel.

The first two books were OK but the third one has a gap between paragraphs rather than an indentation.

I would prefer that there wasn't a gap; is there any way I can change this?
Generally in my experience, a gap in between paragraphs is hard coded into the book or CSS itself.
This can be easily fixed IF your book has no DRM, but if DRM is present, it's not possible to change as far as I know.

(I usually add gaps in between paragraphs myself, but it's personal preference)

You might want to look into the Calibre software, which many of us swear by for library management and formatting. It's also beneficial to Google Apprentice Alf for more information about DRM. (Please be aware that in depth discussion of DRM removal is not permissible here on the forum.)

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 01-29-2014 at 04:46 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As AlbertaCowboy said, it is coded in the CSS. If you are sideloading the books, then his suggestion of using calibre to convert and change the CSS is a good one.

If you are reading a book purchased from Kobo and downloaded to the device, it is a little different. You can change some CSS using an override file on the device. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218814 for details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Generally in my experience, a gap in between paragraphs is hard coded into the book or CSS itself.
This can be easily fixed IF your book has no DRM, but if DRM is present, it's not possible to change as far as I know.

(I usually add gaps in between paragraphs myself, but it's personal preference)

You might want to look into the Calibre software, which many of us swear by for library management and formatting. It's also beneficial to Google Apprentice Alf for more information about DRM. (Please be aware that in depth discussion of DRM removal is not permissible here on the forum.)
I strongly recommend that you only EDIT the CSS and not convert.
Both Sigil and Calibre's editor can help immensely without any of the side effects a (same format) conversion can introduce.

All it takes is a little effort to learn Basic CSS (and you have been given tips on what to look at: the margin-top/bottom setting for the affected paragraph)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
gap between paragraphs

If you are lucky, it is set in CSS. Then all you need to do is remove drm if present and edit the CSS. Fortunately, all this can be done with calibre (with the appropriate plugin).

Unfortunately, gaps between paragraphs are often hard coded as empty paragraphs. Then you have to get a little creative with search and find.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
You can also see if your reader will put in the indentation. A number of ereader programs offer that option. (I believe cool reader and moon+reader both do) They will not do so if the book was improperly formatted using break tags instead of paragraph tags.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote