Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #61
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Google Apps Script does offer the UrlFetch service which can fetch resources from other websites. I imagine you'll need this to retrieve a file from instapaper.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #62
blc
blc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to beholdblc is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo glo
Just tried kobo-grive-sync for a fews days.

It's very convenience one can upload ebooks to google drive and sync them to kobo. However if one wish to sync a big file (ex. a comic cbz which is over 50MB), the wifi connection will fall to sleep before the big file downloaded.

So if you want view comic books on kobo ereader, usb connection is still the best choice.
blc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #63
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I would like my Google Drive to collect 'the' epub from my instapaper (at http://www.instapaper.com/epub).
It looks like it's very difficult using Google Apps Script. The URL requires authentication and only way to authenticate is the login page. Authentication using the login page requires cookies and Google Apps Script can't handle that by default.
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #64
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Google Apps Script does offer the UrlFetch service which can fetch resources from other websites. I imagine you'll need this to retrieve a file from instapaper.
Thank you maffoattm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spMatti View Post
It looks like it's very difficult using Google Apps Script. The URL requires authentication and only way to authenticate is the login page. Authentication using the login page requires cookies and Google Apps Script can't handle that by default.
Many thanks for looking into it spMatti! It's very much appreciated. A shame that it appears to be near impossible. I do know Calibre is somehow able to collect the epub from instapaper directly using this and this. But I don't understand much of Python and I think Google Apps Script needs Java Script or html and I doubt whether Java Script can do the same – I have no idea.

Oh well, thanks again for putting some time in!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #65
dgvirtual
Enthusiast
dgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blc View Post
However if one wish to sync a big file (ex. a comic cbz which is over 50MB), the wifi connection will fall to sleep before the big file downloaded.
An option (though not optimal) would be to immitate activity that Kobo device recognizes as user activity - instead of sync (this will end sooner or later, putting the wifi to sleep) you can browse the kobo bookstore for a while , hitting some item every 3(?) minutes or so.
dgvirtual is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #66
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Many thanks for looking into it spMatti! It's very much appreciated. A shame that it appears to be near impossible. I do know Calibre is somehow able to collect the epub from instapaper directly using this and this. But I don't understand much of Python and I think Google Apps Script needs Java Script or html and I doubt whether Java Script can do the same – I have no idea.
I believe the answer should be "yes, you could do that", but I (a) don't have an instapaper account, and (b) have never written a Google Apps Script.

The Instapaper API provides for OAuth authentication, which is how Google does authentications, so well supported by the Google Apps Script Urlfetch service. It would seem that you could then use Instapaper's /api/1/bookmarks/list and /api/1/bookmarks/get_text APIs.

The one drawback I see is that it's a violation of Instapaper's API Terms-of-use to have the Apps script store your username/password, so you'd have to enter them every time you used the script.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
I believe the answer should be "yes, you could do that", but I (a) don't have an instapaper account, and (b) have never written a Google Apps Script.

The Instapaper API provides for OAuth authentication, which is how Google does authentications, so well supported by the Google Apps Script Urlfetch service. It would seem that you could then use Instapaper's /api/1/bookmarks/list and /api/1/bookmarks/get_text APIs.

The one drawback I see is that it's a violation of Instapaper's API Terms-of-use to have the Apps script store your username/password, so you'd have to enter them every time you used the script.
Great! Thank you auspex for this info. Good to know it should be conceivable. I tried to look into it but I'm just not knowledgable enough to mess around with it. I'll just have to use Calibre's fetch method until someone with the time, interest and and knowledge comes along.

The drawback you mention I think should be alright. If I remember correctly you don't need your password, just your email address, to collect the epub.

Another way would be to not use Google Drive at all, but build an option into the Kobo Grive tool so it would check both Kobo servers, Google Drive and Instapaper during sync. But I should stop hijacking this thread, I'm sorry
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #68
edralzar
edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.

I'll have to look into this script, because I've been wanting to work on a similar use case for some time now

as to the instapaper question by Mrs_Often, I use a quite similar service called readability (readability.com) and they too provide a link to download a saved article in epub format.
Unfortunately, I was not able to get a script to download said epub, as the link actually generates the epub on the fly and a scripted fetch will go in a timeout...
You will probably hit the same wall if trying to fetch the epub on instapaper...

I have a setup that allows me to get Readability's articles as epubs on my kobo, but it is quite a pain to setup for now. And it needs java, which is not commonly available on low-cost hosting services (I've done an app that downloads formatted content from Readability and transforms it into epubs).

> dedicated web server, with the java readability-to-epub app + simple php page to list epubs created after a certain date
> a script on the kobo to query the php page for latest epubs and download them then simulate USB plugged-in plugged-out
> kobo plugin to have a menu entry that starts this sync script

not ideal nor user friendly as I said
edralzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #69
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by edralzar View Post
> dedicated web server, with the java readability-to-epub app + simple php page to list epubs created after a certain date
> a script on the kobo to query the php page for latest epubs and download them then simulate USB plugged-in plugged-out
> kobo plugin to have a menu entry that starts this sync script

not ideal nor user friendly as I said
You know, you could download the formatted text to the kobo, and run Calibre there [I have no idea whatsoever if running Calibre on the Kobo is really feasible, but the basic infrastructure is there]
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #70
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Interesting. Thanks for sharing edralzar.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #71
koenieee
Enthusiast
koenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litter

Quote:
Great! Thank you auspex for this info. Good to know it should be conceivable. I tried to look into it but I'm just not knowledgable enough to mess around with it. I'll just have to use Calibre's fetch method until someone with the time, interest and and knowledge comes along.

The drawback you mention I think should be alright. If I remember correctly you don't need your password, just your email address, to collect the epub.

Another way would be to not use Google Drive at all, but build an option into the Kobo Grive tool so it would check both Kobo servers, Google Drive and Instapaper during sync. But I should stop hijacking this thread, I'm sorry

Hello, I want to share a last thing for this project, maybe we should create another topic btw. Recently I created a script for toggl.com (time tracking tool, I used it in google Spreadsheet; api documentation here: https://www.toggl.com/public/api). What I want to say is that this may work on the same way as Instapaper, so maybe we can edit my script to use it for instapaper.

I don't have much time right now, but if anyone is interested here is my toggl example script: https://github.com/koen-github/Toggl...or-Google-Docs

Edit: Is this link already posted? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...vascript-xauth

Last edited by koenieee; 03-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.
koenieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #72
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenieee View Post
Hello, I want to share a last thing for this project, maybe we should create another topic btw. Recently I created a script for toggl.com (time tracking tool, I used it in google Spreadsheet; api documentation here: https://www.toggl.com/public/api). What I want to say is that this may work on the same way as Instapaper, so maybe we can edit my script to use it for instapaper.

I don't have much time right now, but if anyone is interested here is my toggl example script: https://github.com/koen-github/Toggl...or-Google-Docs

Edit: Is this link already posted? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...vascript-xauth
Great! Interesting! Thanks Koenieee! I don't have much time either, but will look at it this week (I hope). Thanks for the links!

No I don't think I've seen that stackoverflow page before, thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #73
dgvirtual
Enthusiast
dgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with others

Wink How to sync only one directory in the virtual sd card?

I want to change the mounting behaviour of the Virtual SD card. I would like to mount not the whole .grive-sync/sd/ directory, but only a subdirectory I have inside KogoGrive/

What do I need to modify in the scripts so as not to mess things up?

I need to test some stuff...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #74
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvirtual View Post
I want to change the mounting behaviour of the Virtual SD card. I would like to mount not the whole .grive-sync/sd/ directory, but only a subdirectory I have inside KogoGrive/

What do I need to modify in the scripts so as not to mess things up?

I need to test some stuff...
https://github.com/softapalvelin/kob...google-account actually warns you to create a new Google account for using with your Kobo because "Grive only supports full synchronization of entire Google Drive."

I suspect that means you can't mount only a subdirectory. But then, I haven't a clue, maybe you can but it was too much work to change? If you manage anything, please let us know
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #75
dgvirtual
Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
https://github.com/softapalvelin/kob...google-account actually warns you to create a new Google account for using with your Kobo because "Grive only supports full synchronization of entire Google Drive."

I suspect that means you can't mount only a subdirectory. But then, I haven't a clue, maybe you can but it was too much work to change? If you manage anything, please let us know
Well, you cannot syncronize only one directory inside Google Drive, - that is a Grive (or maybe - Google Drive as such) limitation, but you certainly can mount only one directory among those you have syncronized using Grive That was the essence of my request.

Last edited by dgvirtual; 03-25-2013 at 05:03 PM.