Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #31
heafland
heafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with othersheafland plays well with others

Device: Kindle
OMG!! I am soo sooo happy with the upgrade, the major update is now you're able to type Chinese and search in Chinese! The only one problem is, it search Chinese character not in word but single character, but still a major major update for Chinese, and one more font Chinese font is added as well. beautiful!!
heafland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #32
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Probably just in my head, but my page turns seem noticeably slower.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just upgraded my UK-bought PW. The upgrade went flawlessly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #34
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Just upgraded to the new version.
It's now slightly easier to switch the radios on/off (five clicks, including getting back to the text, rather than seven.)

The font changes are very subtle. I can't see any difference with my naked eye, but there are indeed some minor differences if you compare the screenshots. Both Futura and Palatino seems to have been completely re-hinted, but for Baskerville, the only difference appears to be a minor hint for the lower-case 's'

I attach screenshots with all the fonts using 5.2 and 5.3, taken with the smallest size.
Attached Files
File Type: zip paperwhite_upgrade_fonts.zip (455.5 KB, 277 views)
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #35
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I've noticed the fonts look the best after a full page refresh. The 4 pages after that it gets noticeably worse, although to be honest it doesn't really bother me. But you guys would probably want to set it to refresh on every page.

Anyway this sounds like a good update, especially for the recommended content and easier access to settings.

I wonder if they will ever give us the option to turn the light off, because battery life is quite a bit worse than my KK.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #36
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Just upgraded to the new version.
It's now slightly easier to switch the radios on/off (five clicks, including getting back to the text, rather than seven.)

The font changes are very subtle. I can't see any difference with my naked eye, but there are indeed some minor differences if you compare the screenshots. Both Futura and Palatino seems to have been completely re-hinted, but for Baskerville, the only difference appears to be a minor hint for the lower-case 's'

I attach screenshots with all the fonts using 5.2 and 5.3, taken with the smallest size.
Thanks. I can see a slight difference in the palentino font noe.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery time

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I wonder if they will ever give us the option to turn the light off, because battery life is quite a bit worse than my KK.
To really run a valid comparison, one would have to record reading session times in an Excel spreadsheet for both the PW and KK. Otherwise, one really doesn't know.

I ran it for one battery cycle for the PW and got 10 hours and 29 minutes running the battery down to near empty. I've never taken the time to run it for my KK.

For my KF1G it averaged about 5 hours and 13 minutes and for my KFHD7-32 it averages about 5 hours and 39 minutes running it down to about 19% using GSam Battery Monitor for precise measurements by recording Screen Time right before I start a Full Charge.

Just reading for long stretches will NOT take an accurate measurement unless the default 5 minute shut down is changed to Never shut down.

The PW light does shut down when the standard magnetic cover is closed.

Remember, the PW battery meter will not be accurate until taken to a zero charge at least once and then given an overnight charge. The zero charge (really at 15%) is indicated by a screen showing a large battery icon, a wire and a lightning bolt to indicate power is required.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #38
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Re the hinting differences. The differences are pretty small, and definitely not obvious.

For Futura there appears to be less hinting than previously, but for Palatino slightly more.
Here's an example of what I'm meaning.
5.2 on the left, 5.3 on the right.

The font is Futura and the size is the smallest.
The 'old' font clearly has cleaner outlines, but the new one has more weight.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #39
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I just upgraded as well. I found the main improvements were the Main Menu fonts have been substantially darkened versus the background, the Settings were added to the Menu inside a book, AND the background screen was WHITENED a bit more.

I had noticed a very faint pink (barely noticeable) before the upgrade and now it is NOT noticeable at all.

I would suggest that those, who had really noticeable color blotches before, do the upgrade and then report back in this thread if they noticed any changes.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
The upgrade doesn't do anything for blotchiness, which is hardly a surprise. But it also doesn't do anything about the "random bolding" problem, which is annoying. Seems like that could have been a software issue that they could have dealt with.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
The upgrade doesn't do anything for blotchiness, which is hardly a surprise. But it also doesn't do anything about the "random bolding" problem, which is annoying. Seems like that could have been a software issue that they could have dealt with.
I had that problem on all of my PW's except my latest replacement. Nice that this one doesn't have it, but I have no idea why.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Sounds like another typical Amazon Kindle update where they didn't really listen to specific user complaints but simply changed things they noticed were in need of tweaking. The turning off of suggested reading material was done due to the outcry from Fire HD owners, not PW owners, as they already gave that option to Fire HD owners. Ditto on the menu changes to make it a tiny bit less inconvenient to toggle airplane mode while reading.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #43
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Well I am happy with this update. They gave me 3 things I really wanted with my PW. And one of the things I have waited 4 years for.
Finally I can buy a book in a sample and start right where I left off. Yay.

I also didn't want the recommendations on my home screen, mainly because they were not tailored to me. They kept showing me genre's and sections I would never buy, but never once showed the genres I do buy.

I also love that I can at least toggle the wireless while in a book and not having to leave and go to home page first.

I think this is the most I ever got in a update I love, than in any other updates for my kindles.

And if I am not mistaken, stuff is bolder in the menus and homepage now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #44
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Since day one, my PW screen has been changing. Most days it's uniform, some days I get pink spots. I posted about it - but it seems to be an isolated case, I don't see many people talking about screen spots 'coming and going'.

Today, after I updated, I looked at the screen and it was more pinkish than ever in the upper half. A clear split between the upper and lower halves.
After reading for about an hour, it's gone.
I have noticed this on all the PW's I have had, to be honest. Mine are never there all the time. They do seem to be affected by the environment to some extent.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #45
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I wonder if they fixed the bug that caused the light to stay on sometimes.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote