Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Imported Mobi showing as HTMLZ

I'm a bit confused about this.

I've purchased a book from Amazon so decided to convert the Mobi file to ePub as my main reader is a Sony T1.

Upon dragging it into Calibre and waiting for it to import, I expected it to show me a Mobi as the format, but instead I've ended up with a HTMLZ file.

This is the first time any of my Mobi files have done this to me. I can convert it to ePub and it works fine.

I have noticed what looks like a different font in the text and the title, neither of them are image files. Seeing as Mobi doesn't support embedded fonts, am I looking at a Kf8 file?

If so, if there any way to stop it stripping out the embedded fonts so that my epub looks as good as the Kf8 file?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

That is not a mobi KF8 file, that is the older Topaz format. You should read the FAQ at the place where you go the tools that allowed you to convert that book to begin with.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry, your response doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I never created the book in the first place, I said that I bought it from Amazon. So the only software I used on it was Calibre, and that was to convert it to other formats.

Therefore am I not in the right place then? Is the Calibre forum not the right place to discuss an issue in using Calibre?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The book was originally in Topaz format from Amazon. Calibre converted it to HTMLZ.

Topaz is/was a crappy format that only Amazon supported.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack
I'm sorry, your response doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I never created the book in the first place, I said that I bought it from Amazon. So the only software I used on it was Calibre, and that was to convert it to other formats.
You have a third-party plugin installed that allows you to convert your Amazon purchases in the first place. It is responsible for the HTMLZ format. Because that's what it does to Amazon books that are in the Topaz format. Calibre isn't responsible at all. You need to go to the place where that third-party plugin comes from and read the FAQ/ask your questions there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You have a third-party plugin installed that allows you to convert your Amazon purchases in the first place. It is responsible for the HTMLZ format. Because that's what it does to Amazon books that are in the Topaz format. Calibre isn't responsible at all. You need to go to the place where that third-party plugin comes from and read the FAQ/ask your questions there.
Now that makes a bit more sense.

Unfortunately I've never installed any Topaz plugins, in fact the only plugins I've installed comes from Apprentice Alf.

Could the tools ver5 plugins be causing this? I found that a bit odd, but the Kindle one does mention Topaz in it's title though.

So I checked his site and it explains the issue. What a nasty format, God knows why anyone would want to use that for an ebook.

Looks like if I want to get a matching font for all the text in the original, I'm going to have to spend a lot of time looking for a similar free one. Not sure I can be bothered.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Unfortunately I've never installed any Topaz plugins, in fact the only plugins I've installed comes from Apprentice Alf.
All Topaz ebooks have DRM, and the 3rd party "Kindle" DRM removal plugin both removes DRM and converts from Topaz to HTLMZ. If you get a HTMLZ in Calibre from an ebook from Amazon the original will always be a TOPAZ.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Using the tools from Apprentice Alf on books from Amazon results in mobe files MOST of the times. Unfortunately sometimes you got HTMLZ files instead of mobi ones. I don't know the reason behind that behaviour but i assume it's not calibre but the converter from Apprentice Alf that's responsible for it. Assuming he didn't use some sort of random device the root cause must be the format of the book itself. There's nothing you or calibre can do about that.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

That behaviour is determined by the ebook itself. If it is a Topaz ebook then and only then do you end up with a non-mobi file. Actually reading the FAQ at the AA site explains these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Using the tools from Apprentice Alf on books from Amazon results in mobe files MOST of the times. Unfortunately sometimes you got HTMLZ files instead of mobi ones. I don't know the reason behind that behaviour but i assume it's not calibre but the converter from Apprentice Alf that's responsible for it. Assuming he didn't use some sort of random device the root cause must be the format of the book itself. There's nothing you or calibre can do about that.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote