Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #46
NineOne
NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't know about the powering back on issue. I got so sick of waking up to a half drained battery that I set the KT to turn off after 30min.

I'll update in a few days when I've had 1.9.9 longer, but to answer a question from earlier in this thread: After I updated to 1.9.8 the very first time I tapped to turn a page, one solid tap (very definitely only one), it turned two pages. And it has happened many times since. The update has absolutely not fixed it.

I've also found that when I power off from mid-book, then turn it back on and go back to my book, I'm one page behind my stopping point. Not a big deal, but a bit weird and ostensibly very easy to fix.
NineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #47
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Concur on both of those minor problems. The occasional double page turn still happens in 1.9.9 due to both common causes (i.e., unfiltered bounce on a light skimming touch, and failure to recognize the finger-up of the first tap then causing a double-page-turn on a 2nd tap). And I have also noticed it returning to the book one page back from where it was at power-off.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #48
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklee View Post
I don't know if this is something introduced with the latest firmware. I couldn't find any threads about the problem and I had not experienced it before updating the firmware.

I had updated to 1.9.9 on Thursday night (was on previous version, 1.9.7). Yesterday while I was reading, the screen suddenly stopped responding to page turn taps. No response to swipes either. The menu button brought up the menu, but still no response to screen taps. I turned the KT off and back on and everything was back to normal.

Edit: Forgot to mention battery was around 90%, so it wasn't power.
Happened to me a couple days after the update as well. Hasn't happened since though.

Jeff
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #49
RasAlhague
Enthusiast
RasAlhague began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Returned), Kobo Touch, Ipod Touch 4G
When I updated my KT to 1.9.8, and the book that I last read didn't show on my home screen, only the ones that I've recently loaded from my computer to my SD card appear there.

I upgraded into 1.9.9, hoping that the problem would be fixed, but, nothing happened. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
RasAlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #50
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's a known issue that is actively being worked on by Kobo. From what we have been told, the fix is expected in the next update.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #51
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Are there plans for updates to the original Kobo?
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #52
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
I've read two novels since the 1.9.9 release and haven't had any problems with the page turns. I like to tap rather than swipe. When I tap, I touch the screen very quickly (less than a second) and don't press hard on it. Always worked for me. I have about 300 books on it and I do not use an
SD card.

I did notice that closing the dictionary and clicking the heart for the shortlist is a lot better with the new releases. Thank you developers for all the updates! I'm very happy with my Kobo!
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #53
mbac
mbac began at the beginning.

tags request

It'd be really helpful to be able to browse/search books by tags. I have a bunch of books and don't always know what I want to read; this would allow me to browse by the genre or type of book I'm in the mood for.
mbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #54
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
I've read two novels since the 1.9.9 release and haven't had any problems with the page turns.
I still see the double page turn occasionally with 1.9.9. I don't think the frequency is any different. It's not often enough to be a real problem, but I do hope they fix it eventually.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #55
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I haven't seen anyone mention this bug, so I thought I'd bring it up. Since 1.9.9 at the latest, not only does my Home Screen not track recent reads correctly (FYI, virtually all of my books are on an SD card), but Recent Reads doesn't work either. Recently sideloaded books no longer show up at the top of my Books list, and recently read favorites don't always appear at the top of my Shortlist. Sometimes they show up, but often the first page of my shortlist is a mishmash of books I've read in the last week or so, with one or two books I've only glanced at appearing over and over again in position 1 or 2.

(edit) By the way, the issue seems especially pronounced after I've reset, power-cycled, or sideloaded new books onto my Kobo.

Last edited by rwhe; 08-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #56
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention this bug, so I thought I'd bring it up. Since 1.9.9 at the latest, not only does my Home Screen not track recent reads correctly (FYI, virtually all of my books are on an SD card), but Recent Reads doesn't work either. Recently sideloaded books no longer show up at the top of my Books list, and recently read favorites don't always appear at the top of my Shortlist. Sometimes they show up, but often the first page of my shortlist is a mishmash of books I've read in the last week or so, with one or two books I've only glanced at appearing over and over again in position 1 or 2.

(edit) By the way, the issue seems especially pronounced after I've reset, power-cycled, or sideloaded new books onto my Kobo.
Look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145918
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #57
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbakbwr View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. I already know about the Home Screen bug, and I know other people do too. I'm describing problems with Recent Reads for both Books and the Shortlist. Anyone else having these?
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #58
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. I already know about the Home Screen bug, and I know other people do too. I'm describing problems with Recent Reads for both Books and the Shortlist. Anyone else having these?
Did you end up recently doing a reset with the SD card in the slot?

When I did that stuff seemed to get really messed up. I removed the microSD and then factory reset the Kobo without the card in it, and that brought it back to more "normal" behavior.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #59
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbac View Post
It'd be really helpful to be able to browse/search books by tags. I have a bunch of books and don't always know what I want to read; this would allow me to browse by the genre or type of book I'm in the mood for.
+1, tags would also let you organize by series (by the same author), etc.
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #60
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I still see the double page turn occasionally with 1.9.9. I don't think the frequency is any different. It's not often enough to be a real problem, but I do hope they fix it eventually.
I've read two more books since my last post, and I am still not encountering this problem. Only reason why I'm posting this reply is to let the kobo developers know (if they check this) that in my particular situation, the page turns are working fine.

So my situation is: 1) I do not use an SD card 2) the way I turn pages is by lightly and quickly tapping, no swiping. 3) I don't buy e-books. I get .lit files or pdf's online, and convert it using calibre into ePubs.

Never had this double page turn problem. I just want developers to have this info. I'm not contradicting that you're having this problem. I hope it gets fixed for you in the next release!
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote