Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Nemoptic worked in "stealth mode" on e-paper / initially no e-books

Have you also wondered how an until now relatively unknown player in the e-paper biz could possibly win the race on colored e-paper? Well, here is a small follow-up to our news from two days ago. DisplayDaily had a chit chat with Nemoptic CEO Jacques Noels who explained that during the past three years, his company was working in "stealth mode" on making their BiNem technology compatible for high-yield production with existing STN-LCD manufacturing lines. Earlier projects had failed because a high-yield, especially for e-book-sized displays, was not achievable.

Unfortunately for us, according to the article, e-book readers are not Nemoptic's prime target, at least for the time being.

Quote:
Nemoptic’s initial application target is electronic shelf labels, with an estimated market of a billion units in the grocery sector alone. Because of the relatively high resolution of Nemoptic’s e-paper displays, bar codes can be readably displayed directly on the shelf label. Other market sectors under investigation include eBooks, industrial automation, logistics, remote metering systems, and a wide range of consumer products... The first place you will be able to see BiNem displays in quantity will be on the edges of Spanish supermarket shelves late this year, when SII fills an existing 40,000 piece order.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Ok, got some extra details. They're also working on an e-book reader, the SYLEN. But don't expect the SYLEN for an extra 24 months. The technology will be available this year, but e-readers based on it won't be available before 2009. I must say that I'm a little bit disappointed here. E-paper is a fast moving technology, the market may be very crowded in 2009.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Ok, got some extra details. They're also working on an e-book reader, the SYLEN. But don't expect the SYLEN for an extra 24 months. The technology will be available this year, but e-readers based on it won't be available before 2009. I must say that I'm a little bit disappointed here. E-paper is a fast moving technology, the market may be very crowded in 2009.
What are they thinking? 2009 is so far in the future I searched for SYLEN and found this earlier article mentioning it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9476
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
What are they thinking? 2009 is so far in the future I searched for SYLEN and found this earlier article mentioning it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9476
It seems far in the future for me too... They're working with Bookeen on this project, and got a whole lot of money from the french government.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote