Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
800 x 550 is the standard for the 8.9 kindle
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
800 x 550 is the standard for the 8.9 kindle
Yeah that the size I was using it seems it needs to be huge now!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If Helvetica fonts are perfect for my very OLD eyes, they should do fine with your young eyes.

Try reading at least one book for a couple of days and see how Helvetica works for you.

All that font work may be totally unnecessary.
Yeah jswinden, what's wrong with you?! Don't you know that Amazon knows what's best for you? Sheesh!
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Yeah jswinden, what's wrong with you?! Don't you know that Amazon knows what's best for you? Sheesh!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay so we know the update fixed the sideloaded TOC issue.

Obviously there is a new guideline for sideloaded books and pdocs covers. They need to be HUGE! As Becky posted 1066x1600 works perfectly on both Sideloaded and..... Personal Documents covers! No more generic covers on the carousel!

Let's say Hurray for Becky!!!

This is going to be alot of work for me but so far I had only 34 books converted for the Kindle Fire so that's not too bad of a number to redo right now I've done 6.
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
If I may...

hijack this convo for a moment. But I too am having the same issue but am not sure I understand what/where you are editing the cover size?
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyor View Post
hijack this convo for a moment. But I too am having the same issue but am not sure I understand what/where you are editing the cover size?
Yes the cover size but if the book is already on the HDX you have to reconvert it to get it to regenerate the new cover. So I am just starting over to make sure nothing is messed up.

You can edit the size in Calibre using the Resize Cover plugin or any graphics program. Keep it mind blowing up a small cover results in blurry images and alot of jpeg artifact so you want to find the closest size possibly before resizing.

You will need to do a Save to Disk in Calibre for the new cover to be added to the book.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
Thanks...

The cover book cover that is currently working without modification is rather larger (903 x 1400). Have you discovered the minimum size that will work?
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I generally will search the web to see if I can find a larger cover (if the cover that comes with the book is not big enough) and if not I make a generic cover. I've designed a basic cover that I just change the colors out on to use (no pictures).
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If Helvetica fonts are perfect for my very OLD eyes, they should do fine with your young eyes.

Try reading at least one book for a couple of days and see how Helvetica works for you.

All that font work may be totally unnecessary.
The problem is Helvetica is a sans-serif font and a lot of people prefer a serif font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is Helvetica is a sans-serif font and a lot of people prefer a serif font.
It looks horrible on the HDX all squished. Looks nothing like the eInk kindle version!

And the line height is at the minimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-01 17.49.42.png
Views:	189
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	114457  
Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I generally will search the web to see if I can find a larger cover (if the cover that comes with the book is not big enough) and if not I make a generic cover. I've designed a basic cover that I just change the colors out on to use (no pictures).
I must have the cover so I will use the largest I can find and not resize it which will give it the blue cover but it's better than nothing.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyor View Post
The cover book cover that is currently working without modification is rather larger (903 x 1400). Have you discovered the minimum size that will work?
No I haven't. I am using the size Becky recommended which is 1066x1600 alot bigger but it seems to work perfectly. I would love a smaller cover though due to file size.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It looks horrible on the HDX all squished. Looks nothing like the eInk kindle version!

And the line height is at the minimal.
Back when computer monitors were VGA (640 x 480 px) sans serif was the best kind of fonts for reading on a screen. Most website designer understood that and specified sans serif fonts back in the day. But now that we have very high resolution screens I prefer serif fonts. They just look more like what we grew up reading in printed books. If Amazon had any sense, and apparently their Kindle designers are common sense challenged, they would have included at least one heavier serif font on the PW2.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Back when computer monitors were VGA (640 x 480 px) sans serif was the best kind of fonts for reading on a screen. Most website designer understood that and specified sans serif fonts back in the day. But now that we have very high resolution screens I prefer serif fonts. They just look more like what we grew up reading in printed books. If Amazon had any sense, and apparently their Kindle designers are common sense challenged, they would have included at least one heavier serif font on the PW2.
I want Futura on the HDX! I mean they gave us all other PW fonts why not Futura? The other fonts with the exception of Lucida are too light on the HDX. The three heaviest are Caecilia, Helvetica and Lucida. All have that squished look to the though.

I prefer the old font from first Fire. Trebuchet I have been embedding it into my books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-01 18.18.24.png
Views:	193
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	114459