Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
bruncle
bruncle began at the beginning.

Device: irex 2800sg
Hi from Melbourne Australia

Hi everyone,
[Edit: just found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=stylus sorry]

I'm really interested in getting an e-book reader and am trying to work out what the best one would be for my needs. I'm a student and so like the idea of the I-rex DR800sg with the stylus for note-taking (at least in the future). Is that the best option or would one of the Sonys do (it seems like there are some issues with glare/annotations) or should I wait for the Que?

Sorry if there's already a thread discussing this issue - I did a search and couldn't find any.
bruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Welcome Bruncle. I'm interested which one you get too, as I'm at Uni and would feel a large screen ebook reader would be perfect (save printing out the hundreds of pages of notes each year). I have a 5" ereader, but unfortunately the size screen isn't suited to reading academic journals etc.

Good to see another Aussie in the forums.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish-Hello.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	39442 bruncle, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
bruncle
bruncle began at the beginning.

Device: irex 2800sg
Solicitious that's good to know as I was considering getting a Hanvon Wisereader 526 when they're available. What do you think would be the minimum useable size for reading academic journals? Is it just due to the fact that most journal articles are pdf files?
bruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruncle View Post
Solicitious that's good to know as I was considering getting a Hanvon Wisereader 526 when they're available. What do you think would be the minimum useable size for reading academic journals? Is it just due to the fact that most journal articles are pdf files?
I'm personally leaning towards the 9.7" screens. They are roughly the same as an A5 piece of paper. I tend to print my academic journals two to a page, so that comes to approx A5 size and find that quite readable (I just have difficulty reading off a computer screen for any great periods of time - hence I print it out). Most of the PDFs I use are either photocopies of journals saved as a PDF or are formatted for a journal (ie: two column layout) which wont reflow the text on an ereader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Hello, welcome! Good luck with finding a reader that suits your needs
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Meriadoc
Meriadoc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there, I am in the market for exactly the same kind of device. I am tearing through trees (and money) printing academic papers.

If only I was a well funded entrepreneur, I would build the following A-paper reader.

A4 and A5 models
Have an interface to JSTOR, etc
Could actually highlight text and then copy that text verbatim and upload to my mac (or evernote
Also create a proper citation (Harvard, MLA, or whatever) and a bibliography at the same time...

If I haven't already gotten a bit far ahead of myself, but if it dominated this niche market, I would want a system that could learn about other highlighted text from other readers of the same paper and then give you only the option of reading parts that other people had highlighted - that would be the ultimate time saver! - hmmm maybe I should patent that...
Meriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleur.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	40166 to Mobileread, Meriadoc.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Meriadoc
Meriadoc began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks!