Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Baen's Eye of the Storm CD is now available

I have made the book-buyer industry promotional CD for Baen's newly released John Ringo Posleen Universe novel available on my site.

You can find it at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/.

It's free. It's legal.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Shiny.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
[IMG]I have made the book-buyer industry promotional CD for Baen's newly released John Ringo Posleen Universe novel available on my site.

You can find it at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/.
I see info on the disk and a count how often it's been downloaded and links to torrents (no software on this machine to support that, so not interested). I just don't seen any links at all to actually download the CD (or the other one, which I seem to remember residing there). Tried in firefox and IE 8, but no links anywhere.

Maybe it's just the black background, but could you post the direct link to the download/download page?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I just don't seen any links at all to actually download the CD
Click on CD listing and then select the CD you want to look at.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
oohh... More Baeny goodness.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Yay!!!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/1...mtheShadowsCD/

Quote:
Icould you post the direct link to the download/download page?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Thanks. For some reason, I have this same problem everytime I go to your web site -- I think because there is writing under that "cd listing" header and with the colors used, it doesn't look like a link at all, just a title.

Perhaps, when you have a spare moment, you could entice that section to be "open" when one goes to the main page (or add a "click here to download" bit to the line?).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/18-EyeoftheStormCD/ is the CD mentioned by the topic's author.

And from here: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/1...eoftheStormCD/ you can choose which specific book you want to read/download.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Thanks. For some reason, I have this same problem everytime I go to your web site -- I think because there is writing under that "cd listing" header and with the colors used, it doesn't look like a link at all, just a title.

Perhaps, when you have a spare moment, you could entice that section to be "open" when one goes to the main page (or add a "click here to download" bit to the line?).
It looks like the timestamp on that script is from mid-February, which sounds about right for how long ago I re-wrote it.

A lot of people didn't like my first redesign. I wanted it to look cleaner and have expandable sections, to tighten up the initial page load.

Originally I defaulted every section to be collapsed.

That was pretty well loathed, I guess, so I had to add the twistie arrows, the hover underline, the pointer change and have at least one section default to expanded to show how it is supposed to appear.

While I think that 'programming by committee' results in the worst compromises possible, I will take suggestions for changes.

If I like them, I'll look to implementing them.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I can't say that I've ever read any John Ringo books, but after reading Oh John Ringo no I don't know if I can. Although, to be honest, I did download the Paladin of Shadows series from one of the other disks to skim for a laugh.

Last edited by KarateMonkey; 08-06-2009 at 11:35 AM.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
I can't say that I've ever read any John Ringo books, but after reading Oh John Ringo no I don't know if I can. Although, to be honest, I did download the Paladin of Shadows series from one of the other disks to skim for a laugh.
Oh dear.

Thanks for the link to that review, it more or less confirms my opinion of the series. Unfortunately, I've read two of the books, Ghost and Kildar, without that magic phrase "Oh John Ringo No" and have been irrevocably damaged. I own the rest of the series to date but, fearing complete conversion to Republicanism and sexual perversity (if that isn't redundant), have not dared to read them.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
Brilliant I have a similar reaction to Ringo and Baen overall (I love their distribution model) it all seems very misogynistic and Boy's Own when you look at their catalogue. Things exploding, flashy swords, cartoonish women with ridiculous busoms. I don't know if its a nostalgia thing or not (haven't read enough of the actual books) but its very off-putting. Ringo, in particular though, is highly repugnant.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

BTW

For you Baeners (native Californian and therefore authorized to use this term) that have not discovered The 5th it is a truly awesome resource. The best thing about it is that the books on the CD's are in a lot of formats!

Html
Doc
Rtf
Mobi
Lrf
Lit
Rb

I started out with the CD that was included with the At All Costs which lead me to the Baen web site which lead me to The 5th. All this lead me to start reading Html books on my computer which lead me to buying a Kindle2 once I realized that it supported my growing Baen Library. Naturally I had to re-download all the books I had in Html in Mobi format. Now I am concerned that Amazon will do something weird or that my Kindle2 will explode or Baen might vanish or something else that might prevent me from enjoying my ebooks. So I am in the process of insuring that I have every book in every format available on multiple hard drives on multiple computers. (perhaps a little paranoid)

The 5th Imperium is wonderful since the books on the CD's shortcut that process. The CD's are redundant so there is a lot of duplication but each introduces something new.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Brilliant I have a similar reaction to Ringo and Baen overall (I love their distribution model) it all seems very misogynistic and Boy's Own when you look at their catalogue. Things exploding, flashy swords, cartoonish women with ridiculous busoms. I don't know if its a nostalgia thing or not (haven't read enough of the actual books) but its very off-putting. Ringo, in particular though, is highly repugnant.
Oh my, I hope you know what nuclear fire you will draw down from the skies. I have no compunction about being the first.

Have at you, varlet!

You are painting a lot of authors with a rather large brush. I have works by about 100 authors and I only have a fraction of the entire Baen collection. Your criticism seems more aimed at Science Fiction and Swords and Sorcery as a whole rather than just Baen, although I may be mistaken. It is true that Baen Books specializes in "Action" Sci-Fi rather than the more soft Speculative Fiction genre however Webscriptions also carries several other Publishers.

I don't think anyone has ever characterized Marion Zimmer Bradley, Lois McMaster Bujold, Anne McCaffery, or Andre Norton as misogynistic.

(I, personally, take the "cartoonish women with ridiculous busoms" seriously, especially the "bosoms" part. Nothing ridiculous about bosoms.)

Last edited by NormHart; 08-06-2009 at 03:41 PM.