Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apple missed the boat with the iPhone?

I've just read a review of the new iPhone 3G and am quite shocked by some of the features missing from it:
  • No MMS messaging.
  • No video recording.
  • No forward-facing camera for video conferencing.
  • No stereo bluetooth connection.

These are basic features which one would expect any modern "smartphone" to provide. I'm very surprised indeed to find that Apple would omit them. The lack of MMS messaging in particular is utterly inexplicable - that's something that even the cheapest European handset generally provides.

I just don't "get it" with Apple. They make a great product like the iPhone, and then miss out some really basic features which all their rivals provide. Perhaps they should concentrate more on the basic functionality and less on the "sexiness"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Yet another reason I am constantly secreaming, "Intuitive, my ass!" at the TV.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Nokia N96 is going to blow away the iPhone 3G.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I'm sure that the iPhone is going to sell breathtakingly well despite these shortcomings. As I say, I just wish that the emphasis had been a little more oriented towards adding useful functionality rather than concentrating on the "looks". The lack of MMS messaging is a bit of a "show stopper" for me personally - that's something I use all the time. Perhaps it's less popular in the US?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just read a review of the new iPhone 3G and am quite shocked by some of the features missing from it:
  • No MMS messaging.
  • No video recording.
With the APP store many other features are on the phone. All the above things are not something I would use my phone for. My messaging is done via several apps like Twinkle or SMS. I have a camera for video recording and don't care for anyone to see me while talking on the phone, I tend to be doing other things. I don't understand Stereo bluetooth, I use the standard earplugs and don't use BT with my phone. Its bad enough seeing cyborg people talking to themselves in stores, cars and on the streets.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
  • No MMS messaging.
  • No video recording.

These are basic features which one would expect any modern "smartphone" to provide. I'm very surprised indeed to find that Apple would omit them. The lack of MMS messaging in particular is utterly inexplicable - that's something that even the cheapest European handset generally provides.

I just don't "get it" with Apple. They make a great product like the iPhone, and then miss out some really basic features which all their rivals provide. Perhaps they should concentrate more on the basic functionality and less on the "sexiness"?
I read an article about the lack of stereo bluetooth. Apparently, Apple wants to make it impossible to create non-Apple licensed bluetooth accessories or to transfer music files from one iPhone to another. It was something like that anyway .... I sort of blew through the article because I have no interest in purchasing an iPhone.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I don't understand Stereo bluetooth, I use the standard earplugs and don't use BT with my phone. Its bad enough seeing cyborg people talking to themselves in stores, cars and on the streets.
Stereo headphones are for listening, not necessarily for talking although they often do have this feature as well. Of course they are not as cool as white wires going to the device which is now a status symbol. The idea of Bluetooth is no wires to the device at all.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Yeah of little faith
http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/07....a2dp.adapter/

Blasphemers Every Last one of you!

JJ
Yup MR hell...
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Yeah of little faith

JJ
Yup MR hell...
Yea, there are several such adapters. I have one for my nano from G-sat but it is not as cool as white wires.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Yeah of little faith

JJ
Yup MR hell...
No ... that's what I'm talking about. If they put the bluetooth into the phone, then some other company wouldn't have to pay Apple a huge chunk of money to make an iPhone bluetooth adapter. That's what the article I mentioned was talking about ... I think .... I'll have to see if I can hunt it down.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
No ... that's what I'm talking about. If they put the bluetooth into the phone, then some other company wouldn't have to pay Apple a huge chunk of money to make an iPhone bluetooth adapter. That's what the article I mentioned was talking about ... I think .... I'll have to see if I can hunt it down.
I was just commenting on the OP's references that which the Iphone may not come included with certain features, However some will have 3rd party support.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I was just commenting on the OP's references that which the Iphone may not come included with certain features, However some will have 3rd party support.

JJ
Ohhhhh.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
With the APP store many other features are on the phone. All the above things are not something I would use my phone for. My messaging is done via several apps like Twinkle or SMS. I have a camera for video recording and don't care for anyone to see me while talking on the phone, I tend to be doing other things. I don't understand Stereo bluetooth, I use the standard earplugs and don't use BT with my phone. Its bad enough seeing cyborg people talking to themselves in stores, cars and on the streets.
Don't forget, though, that the original iPhone never really took off in the corporate world, and Apple claim to be trying to target the iPhone 3G at the Enterprise market as well as the individual. Video conferencing is now hugely important in the large Enterprise market, especially with rising transport costs meaning that most companies are trying to reduce travel to meetings. The organisation I work for makes massive use of video conferencing. It seems like a curious omission - it's something which pretty much every other phone aimed at the business market has, and its lack could hurt Apple's sales in that market sector.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Don't forget, though, that the original iPhone never really took off in the corporate world, and Apple claim to be trying to target the iPhone 3G at the Enterprise market as well as the individual. Video conferencing is now hugely important in the large Enterprise market, especially with rising transport costs meaning that most companies are trying to reduce travel to meetings. The organisation I work for makes massive use of video conferencing. It seems like a curious omission - it's something which pretty much every other phone aimed at the business market has, and its lack could hurt Apple's sales in that market sector.
Must be one of those differences between Europe and the US. Outside of demos, I've never seen anyone use a cell for video conferencing. Heck, several of the companies I do business with still don't allow camera phones on the premises.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #15
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Perhaps they should concentrate more on the basic functionality and less on the "sexiness"?
I thought sexiness what the only design goal? You mean some people actually find another use for the thing?

Runs for his life from the mad hordes of iPeople...
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!