Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Advice for a writer friend...

This is for a family friend. He is older and not that tech-savvy, at least where eBooks are concerned, but he is looking to self-publish.

It is kind of a memoir about his adventures in mountain-climbing, boating, and building a life and community in the Discovery Islands. What is the best venue for him to self-publish with and how would he go about publishing it as an eBook?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I tell ya, the easiest thing I've seen is Amazon/Kindle publishing. Particularly if the book/ms is in MS-Word format. It's just a matter of uploading that Word file, a cover image (or not even that) and filling out the information. You do have to sign up as an Amazon author first, but easy-peasy.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed. Amazon totally dominate the market and have by far the best publishing tools.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, guys! I figured that but wanted to make sure.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If you sign up to publish through Smashwords doesn't it trickle down to Amazon as well as the other big ebook sellers?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Not to Amazon, although there's always hope that might change.

I do like Smashwords, and you can always publish on both Amazon and Smashwords, although that rules out Amazon's KDP Select program.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
If you sign up to publish through Smashwords doesn't it trickle down to Amazon as well as the other big ebook sellers?
RE: Smash->Amazon
Only currently for top sellers. I forget the cut off, but Amazon does not want to let Smashwords do a large bulk up load so they have to limit to a small piece of their catalog.

Really for American E-Books, no one touches Amazon currently. They own the market.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Really for American E-Books, no one touches Amazon currently. They own the market.
Even more true for the UK market, because we don't have the strong 2nd-place player that B&N are in the US.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even more true for the UK market, because we don't have the strong 2nd-place player that B&N are in the US.
B&N just reported another large pile of cash lost, and their stock fell another 15 or so %... not much of a 2nd place here.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
B&N just reported another large pile of cash lost, and their stock fell another 15 or so %... not much of a 2nd place here.
I believe they have something like a 20% ebook market share in the US. There's no UK equivalent of that.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe they have something like a 20% ebook market share in the US. There's no UK equivalent of that.
I have no facts to back this up nor any sites to link... but I highly doubt that. They did at one time, but over the last 1-2 years they have really fallen and fallen hard.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
90% of my sales are through Amazon. The other 10% are split between Apple and B&N and I think Apple takes the lead between the two. On my soon to be published #3 it'll be a boring winter day when I upload it to B&N.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm with everyone else: Amazon has the best distribution and a very intuitive user interface.

If the family friend is not tech-savvy, and if he is not short on money, he might wish to hire someone to professionally format and upload the book for him. I know there are people who offer services like that, although I don't know what they charge. You can probably find some on the yellow pages at kindleboards.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Thanks, Nancy. I need to let him know. I am pretty good at using technology and a librarian but I have not formatted an eBook before. I do how to do things like insert jpgs and save a Word document as a PDF (which isn't a great format for an eBook) but someone professional would obviously know a lot more.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I concur with the group.

I'd add: Get a professionally designed cover.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote