Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That's normal I think. The initial idea may have things going in one direction and while writing it out another, better idea, pops up. Moby Dick is a good example. It starts out with a big piece about a man named Bulkington from what I understand and then he's washed overboard one night. Why? Because Melville had discovered a character by the name of Ahab.
That is quite interesting, I did not know that.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Vydor speaks truth.

You are just finding out your working process. Don't over-analyze it now because writing anything is infinitely better than writing nothing. Just know that there will be a significant edit and rewrite phase no matter which process you use. Don't let that cast a shadow over getting your words on paper. It doesn't matter how many scenes/characters/clever turns of phrases you don't end up using. Nothing is wasted if it gets you to the finish line.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well put and much appreciated!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
You do realise, of course, that all the encouragement appearing here is just because we don't want to be the only poor suckers obsessed by the writing-bug?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You do realise, of course, that all the encouragement appearing here is just because we don't want to be the only poor suckers obsessed by the writing-bug?
Watch out gmw you'll give out all our secrets. Next thing you know someone will mention the handbook or the secret handshake....Forget I mentioned that. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #21
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Ha!

It's all good, I tend to get overly obsessed about pretty much anything I try.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Ha!

It's all good, I tend to get overly obsessed about pretty much anything I try.
I think being obsessive is a good quality to haves, as is being able to over analyze things.

I think with writing it does tend to mutate and go off in weird directions. For me what was going to be a two page story, turned into twenty. Keep up the writing.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #23
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Actually that's a very good average word count if you can keep it up. The minimum daily count for NaNoWriMo is 1,667 words a day so in 30 days or a little less (if you write for 30 days on the same story) you'll have some 50,000 words of manuscript. It sounds interesting and just goes to show that an older piece of writing can inspire something new.
...and 50,000 is - or was - the max to get published by Mills and Boone. Not that it's a guarantee, unfortunately, but don't overdo it!

(From the man who's never been under 140,000 words)

On another point, when I started, I wrote for two hours on Monday evenings whilst my wife was at choir practice. Later I had a one-hour train ride to and from work. Both cases gave me two hours of writing, and I reckoned that a good average was 2,000 words a day. Which isn't far from Critch's 1,667.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
My biggest problem at the moment is that I thought I knew how I wanted the story to go...but it's now being taken in another direction. Same outcome at the end, but A to B is going to probably end up completely different.
That can happen even if you have a detailed synopsis. The thing is, however much time you have spent learning about your characters and mapping their characteristics, you will find that they develop in ways you didn't expect, and do things you didn't plan, or do them quicker, or slower.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
That can happen even if you have a detailed synopsis. The thing is, however much time you have spent learning about your characters and mapping their characteristics, you will find that they develop in ways you didn't expect, and do things you didn't plan, or do them quicker, or slower.
I'm finding that out a lot actually LOL.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
My biggest problem at the moment is that I thought I knew how I wanted the story to go...but it's now being taken in another direction. Same outcome at the end, but A to B is going to probably end up completely different.
If the muse leads you in a different direction, just follow along. Your subconscious can sometimes lead you to better stories than you had originally intended.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
If the muse leads you in a different direction, just follow along. Your subconscious can sometimes lead you to better stories than you had originally intended.
Or not ... as the case may be. Not all the threads you follow will be successful (or not publishable). But I do agree with the sentiment anyway. Sometimes you just have to follow a path to find out where it leads. Even if you have to back track and try again, as long as you remembered to enjoy the scenery along the way they were still paths worth taking.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Or not ... as the case may be. Not all the threads you follow will be successful (or not publishable). But I do agree with the sentiment anyway. Sometimes you just have to follow a path to find out where it leads. Even if you have to back track and try again, as long as you remembered to enjoy the scenery along the way they were still paths worth taking.
Yep, an outline isn't intended as a set in stone path that the writer has to follow. It's more of a general guide. For example if you were planning a trip cross country from New York to Los Angeles you would probably plan how many miles you thought you would want to travel per day, how much you would spend on gas and food, and a general route of roads that you planned to use to get you where you wanted to go, both in the long term final destination and where you wanted to be at points in between points A and Z. Of course some roads may be closed due to repairs or you may find them congested with traffic, etc. when the time came which would make detours necessary which would change some things from your general plan but such are not as important as reaching your destination.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
Gregory Faccone
Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How Is The Daily Word Count Holding Up?

It has been almost 2 weeks jhempel24, and I am curious as to how you are doing in regard to the daily word count.

2000 words a day is a great goal. I find that certain types of scenes are more conducive to hitting that count than others.
Gregory Faccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
jhempel24
Wizard

I am on vacation at the moment, since saturday but still trying to keep writing. I am at approx 20,200 words in my story so far

Thanks for checking up!!