Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #1006
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Here is a 64-bit signed libusb driver that should work on Win7 x64 without rebooting to "allow unsigned drivers" mode:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f178/sig...drivers-65978/

There are also followup posts saying it worked for others too. If anybody tries this, please report back with your results. Thanks.

EDIT: I just installed it. You have to select an Atmel microprocessor device from the list when you install it. Perhaps we need to modify a .inf file before or after installation, modified to support the Kindle USB VID/PID number.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-13-2013 at 08:26 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #1007
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Here is a 64-bit signed libusb driver that should work on Win7 x64 without rebooting to "allow unsigned drivers" mode:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f178/sig...drivers-65978/

There are also followup posts saying it worked for others too. If anybody tries this, please report back with your results. Thanks.

EDIT: I just installed it. You have to select an Atmel microprocessor device from the list when you install it. Perhaps we need to modify a .inf file before or after installation, modified to support the Kindle USB VID/PID number.
Crap! The inf file is signed too, so changing the VID/PID to match the kindle makes it UNSIGNED. Bummer.

This only works with already included devices with matching USB VID/PID (ATmega devices). Oh well... It was worth a try.

EDIT: Would it be unreasonable to have end users install a test certificate that I created and signed this with after modifying the .inf file? If okay, here are the instructions for creating and using a test certificate:

MakeCert Test Certificate (Windows Drivers):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

How to Test-Sign a Driver Package (Windows Drivers):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

I do not have time to study this further at this time. If somebody wishes to continue this investigation, please post your results here. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #1008
Bulleta
Bulleta began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Oh, you've been busy! Thank you for the information.

After rebooting with driver signing disabled, I switched my bricked K4NT to fastboot to install the libusb-32 driver through the Device Manager. I hit the "Update Driver" button, and this time it installed almost instantly. I can't find the kindle in the device list, though.

When I run fastboot.exe, it shows me the error:

"The program can't start because libusb0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

It looks like my next step is to spend a few hours downloading resources to build me a 32-bit virtual machine. I was hoping I didn't have to.
Bulleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #1009
geekmaster

I think you need to run fastboot as Administrator, or launch it from a CMD shell that is running as Administrator. I generally use it from a 32-bit XP VM...

There are success reports from people who used Win7 x64 though, so you may find details in a thread somewhere (follow posts preceding success report links)...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #1010
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleta View Post
When I run fastboot.exe, it shows me the error:

"The program can't start because libusb0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
I have Win7 64 bit and I had the same situation. I would strongly advice using inf wizzard included in libusb-win32.

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-14-2013 at 03:36 AM.
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #1011
Bulleta

Thank you again for going out of your way! I now realize I should have made a new thread; I will do so at your request.

So far I've got an 32 bit XP VM ready in case I do have driver issues, but at this point I think my problem lies somewhere else.

Quote:
I think you need to run fastboot as Administrator, or launch it from a CMD shell that is running as Administrator. I generally use it from a 32-bit XP VM...
I tried running both the .exe and the command prompt as Administrator. Both gave me the same result, both on my host PC and on my VM. At least I know it's not my permissions now.

Quote:
There are success reports from people who used Win7 x64 though, so you may find details in a thread somewhere (follow posts preceding success report links)...
I have now very carefully read the top, say, five threads that show people's progress; I've realized my computer and my VM are doing something different than other people's.

When other people switch the Kindle into Kindle fastboot, they say that their computer pops up a warning saying Windows can't find drivers for the device, and proceed to direct the Driver wizard to the Kindle-Fastboot.inf and the libusb0.sys files (as per step 7 in "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V4")

My computer and the fresh XP VM do not do that; instead, the device completely disappears off the device manager and the "connected devices" icon on my virtual PC.

I'm beginning to think I have the wrong profile in my MfgTool folder. Maybe it's as simple as finding a specific profile for my K4NT?

As a side note, both Kindle Main and Kindle Diags boot as they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
I have Win7 64 bit and I had the same situation. I would strongly advice using inf wizzard included in libusb-win32.
I have not tried to make my own .inf; I feel a little bewildered by having to type in the port address and manufacturer serial number (I don't have any other option; it doesn't recognize the K4NT even as an unrecognized device). I'll see if someone had success doing so, and I'll PM them to ask them what information they used.

In the meantime, I'll continue to read other threads; I could have sworn I skimmed through someone saying their device wasn't recognized at all; I'll see if I can find it again and see if they resolved the issue.

P.S. Sorry I take too long to reply! I'm doing this in my spare time, and between work and tending for my family, my schedule is tight!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1012
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
As a side note, both Kindle Main and Kindle Diags boot as they should.
Let me see now - remind me why you are doing this then?

Also - you are keeping the device on a charger. Correct?
You have also read that it does not charge well in Diags mode. Correct?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #1013
Bulleta

Quote:
Let me see now - remind me why you are doing this then?

Also - you are keeping the device on a charger. Correct?
You have also read that it does not charge well in Diags mode. Correct?
I may have misrepresented what I meant with "Kindle Main... booting as it should". I meant to say that, when I do, it gets out of Diags mode and goes back to Demonstration mode, which I treat as "bricked". I no longer sell Kindles at work, so I'd rather make it a functioning device.

As far as it being charged, whenever I'm done tinkering with it, I put it back in Kindle Main mode and plug it into its saleroom display. I make sure the buttons are functioning (when I put it in fastboot mode, it freezes the screen). I just think it looks prettier cycling through its screensaver.

It charges through a wall socket, not through my computer. I let it drain until the "plug device to power" page shows up, and keep it plugged in until the light goes green (I know I shouldn't consider the light as an accurate measure, but it takes two or so hours to charge, which is as long as my personal Kindle of the same model.

Incidentally, the battery does not last as long as my older, personal Kindle (it actually may last a week, rather than a month), but I thought that was because it used to be plugged in 24/7, and since it refreshes pages a lot in Demonstration Screensaver mode.

Do you think I need to replace the battery anyway?

At the moment, I've got it plugged in and will probably leave it on overnight, and won't try playing with it until tomorrow (it had been fully charged when I started doing this, but it's been, what, 48 hours now?).

Thank you for asking me what I had to elaborate on. Maybe I've finally given an important clue I may have dismissed as unimportant.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1014
Rakku
Rakku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakku View Post
I'm having a wonderful time trying to unbrick my Kindle 3G with the keyboard. My original Kindle was replaced under warranty after I (not very cunningly) dropped it and smashed the screen. The replacement worked for just over a month, and now I'm out of the warranty period.

Not long after a "Your Kindle is Updated" notification, I noticed that the Kindle would increasingly not wake up from the standby screen (slide switch to wake) and I'd have to hold the sliding power switch to reset it. Later on, it began to freeze on the main menu before you could get into a book. It's now been stuck on the main book selection screen for hours. When connected to a pc it comes up as "SE Blank RINGO", and disconnects/reconnects fairly regularly, or when you slide the power switch.

I have installed the libusb-win32 drivers successfully, albeit on Win7 64 bit. It's version 1.2.6.0, which claims to support 64 bit. "SE Blank RINGO" says it is working properly on Device Manager. I have charged the Kindle using first the original charger, then a 2.5A iPad usb charger, and charged the Kindle for a day. The amber light does go out, but there is no green light when you slide the power switch.

I have run MfgTool, but no entries appear on the list to apply any further options. So here I am stuck. I'm fairly sure an update has gone wrong, so I believe this Kindle can be unbricked. I am fairly technical, but I am having trouble understanding how to proceed from here.

Is anyone able to advise out there on how to proceed? I'm off to Africa on the 20th January for over 2 months, so I'm very keen to get it working again!

Many thanks;

Graeme
Thank you for the replies regarding this. In the end I found that if I left the Kindle alone, then charged it from what was presumably a flat battery, it would restart. I was able to do a factory reset before it crashed, but unfortunately it would still hang even while on charge and with no content. This was a recent replacement Kindle, and it started going wrong with a recent software uipdate. I called Customer Support, and they quickly realised it was toast and replaced it under warranty. I was out of warranty for the original Kindle, but I can only assume that the replacement had its own and I was within that period. The assistant on the phone seemed to think it was a software fault, and not hardware. Once in the lengthy factory reset operation, it carried on without a hitch, but once on the main Kindle screen even with wireless off... crash within 30 seconds.

Anyway... So new Kindle now, and all is well.

Thanks again!

Graeme
Rakku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1015
geekmaster

You can add ssh to diags using ixtab's methods. Then export USB drive from ssh and copy main partition and kernel image to it. Then start ssh shell and flash main partition and kernel using dd, per instructions in his readme file. There is a link in the first post.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #1016
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
well Geek a lil news. finally recieved a "Master Image" from amazon. the kindle STILL thinks its a Wifi+3G however aftre using the master image + a factory resetting "Mac Address: *my mac address* amd it makes connection with my AP, im able to browse websites However.

it seems amazon's servers are rejecting it as it spews an unable to connect message when registering and claims my user/pass does not match anything on record, its using the 3.4 (1725970040) Firmware

but this is another step!just nee dto get it to communicate with the amazon servers and it's fixed (but atm im making a new backup :3)
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #1017
Bulleta

Hello everyone! I have now successfully reflashed my Kindle. Seemingly my problem was a hardware issue; I used a different USB port after trying it again with a full charge. It installed just fine on my virtual machine.

I had a hiccup when flashing the diag_kernel; it said there was not enough space. I flashed the main_kernel first, then when back to the diag_kernel, and it flashed it that time.

Other than that, I was expecting the hurdles I needed to go through afterwards, thanks to the insightful information found here in the forums.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding; some of us are art majors and don't know our way around computers!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #1018
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
the debricking files are not accessible, the link seems to be broken
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php

is there any other place i can download the files? i need update_k5_diags+ssh.bin. thanks.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #1019
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...ssh_README.txt
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #1020
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
thanks ixtab. read the info. is it the same as installing update_k5_diags+ssh.bin?

my KT is ok, just want to install this as an "insurance".
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking