Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
raynedrop
raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (7in) & Polaroid 7 tablet
Question Help with managing titles with a series

I have spent most of the night trying to figure this out by reading and reading and testing and testing but I am stuck someplace and would appreciate some help. I learned alot along the way but am struggling with one problem

I can add, edit, convert and save my books to the right folder and it includes the series and series number in it
EXAMPLE:
Spackled and Spooked - Jennie Bentley.epub
comes over as:
Spackled and Spooked - [ A Do-It-Yourself Mystery ] - 002 - Jennie Bentley.epub

which is what I want ...the result was done by editing the SAVING BOOKS TO DISK template with the following:
{author_sort}/{title} - {series} - {series_index:0>3s} - {authors}

THE PROBLEM I am having is this -- I have deleted the book from calibre library as I saved it to my hard drive (until I get more books converted) but when I went to get all of them added back (by add books), the Series Name and Number show up in the same column as the Title so it's not sorting the way I know it is intended to with the title and series in their own correct column. The author portion goes perfect where it is to be but the rest does not.

WHAT have I done wrong or what am I missing?

I HOPE i have explained what I am trying to say so someone will understand

I totally think Calibre ROCKS and really have been spending alot of hours reading thru all of the forum and manual but somehow I KNOW I missed something or misunderstood something.

Please help this lil ole' lady get her books fixed so she can move them to her new toy (PanDigital Novel Multimedia 7) to take to the beach later in the winter.

Rayne
raynedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynedrop View Post
I can add, edit, convert and save my books to the right folder and it includes the series and series number in it
EXAMPLE:
Spackled and Spooked - Jennie Bentley.epub
comes over as:
Spackled and Spooked - [ A Do-It-Yourself Mystery ] - 002 - Jennie Bentley.epub

which is what I want ...the result was done by editing the SAVING BOOKS TO DISK template with the following:
{author_sort}/{title} - {series} - {series_index:0>3s} - {authors}
Good so far.
Quote:
THE PROBLEM I am having is this -- I have deleted the book from calibre library as I saved it to my hard drive (until I get more books converted)
You probably didn't need to do this, and you've made it harder for yourself, but .... forging on ....
Quote:
but when I went to get all of them added back (by add books), the Series Name and Number show up in the same column as the Title
You have several options. If you need to do this again, turn on the option to save the opf file in the SAVING BOOKS TO DISK area you already know about. That will save the metadata there and calibre will pick it up when you Add the book again.

For books where you didn't do that, you can try getting metadata from the books internal metadata. If you saved it out in a format that has internal metadata (epub does), just check the option to read metadata from the book. You currently have it set to get it from the filename.

Last option: Fix the regex on Adding Books to read the metadata from the filename. If you need a regex for that, post again and give some filename examples.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
raynedrop
raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (7in) & Polaroid 7 tablet
yahoo that did it...TY VERY MUCH..i knew I SHOULD know what to do after all the reading I did lol but it just was not coming to my old brain. I appreciate the help!

I don't totally understand regex yet but am muddling thru trial and error (my poor trash can has never seen so much use haha)

(I delete them from calibre after converting as I don't have enough HD space on my laptop to keep both my library and the calibre one. I am moving all of them eventually to my reader but want to have them fixed before I do as it's an android based system and can't use calibre on it..it doesn't even have a usb port so can't use the portable version sigh.)
raynedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynedrop View Post
yahoo that did it...TY VERY MUCH.
I'm glad it helped.

Quote:
I don't totally understand regex yet but am muddling thru trial and error (my poor trash can has never seen so much use haha)
We were all at that stage once. I find myself looking up stuff on regex often. It's complex, but incredibly useful. One thing about regex is that it's easier to write it than to read it. That makes it hard to learn. I can write very complex expressions in a minute that a week later I can barely understand

Quote:
(I delete them from calibre after converting as I don't have enough HD space on my laptop to keep both my library and the calibre one. I am moving all of them eventually to my reader but want to have them fixed before I do as it's an android based system and can't use calibre on it..it doesn't even have a usb port so can't use the portable version sigh.)
I use an Android reader, too. That was after my WinMo reader, and for a while I had to use Java on a loaner phone. I'd highly recommend buying a cheap external drive for your laptop and keeping your library for if/when you need some other format or need some of calibre's other nice features.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote