Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
salmoneous
salmoneous began at the beginning.

Device: nook
New User Questions

Got a Nook for Christmas. So far I'm really enjoyingit. But a few, mostly technical, questions.

1) Under stetting, it says I have software version 1.4.3. I assume that means I have to update to 1.5, right? (Note - no interest in rooting or anything.) I'm hooked up to wifi, I've "clicked" on "check for new B&N content" in My Library. Nothing. Is it supposed to update to 1.5 automatically or something?

2) When I plug my nook into my computer (Windows Vista) I get a popup saying, "there might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to." In then asks if it can "scan and fix." I keep choosing "continue without scanning." Is that the right thing to do.

3) Is there no way to delete items (library downloads in particular) in My Documents from the Nook itself?

4) One of the library books I download was a comic boo...er graphic novel. So it's all pictures. Unfortunately, it's a bit small to read. Any way to zoom in?

5) I can get a 8gb memory card for $10. Seems like a no brainer. Any reason not to get one?

I'm probably have more questions later. But so far, just reading old threads here has been very helpful. Thanks.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I'd like to help you.....but I'm a newbie too.....and I don't have the nook, I went with the NookColor.......I'm loving it.....Really liked the Eink, but I couldn't resist all the feature on the NC......

As for question#5, sounds like a good deal to me.....I just pulled a 8GB uSD card at Walmart today, it was $16.99.....they had a sale, it was normally $20....

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come by with some good tips for you
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
1) Under stetting, it says I have software version 1.4.3. I assume that means I have to update to 1.5, right? (Note - no interest in rooting or anything.) I'm hooked up to wifi, I've "clicked" on "check for new B&N content" in My Library. Nothing. Is it supposed to update to 1.5 automatically or something?
According to the Web site, they're not distributing the update via 3G, only via Wi-Fi connections. If you haven't set up Wi-Fi, it won't happen automatically. You can update manually from: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/c....asp?PID=35681

For item #2, Vista is totally not my area, but this Microsoft support page may help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937651
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote