Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Entourage eDGe First Impressions

Went home and got the eDGe. It was delivered by FedEx at 10:15 AM ET. I took it out of the box, played with it for literally 5 minutes, then plugged it to charge for 8 hours (as indicated in the quick instructions that come in the box). I had to come back to work for a meeting. Here is a very quick first impressions.

1. Excellent quality, solid, for the overall unit
2. Fingerprint magnet (mine is the default blue one)
3. Stylus could have been of better quality
4. Booted up in 15 seconds
5. Good response time and fast menu navigation (faster than I expected)
6. Fast eInk (faster than Kindle DX, faster than Astak, faster than Nook, fastest I have seen so far).
7. Heavier than I expected

I plan a full review in the next few days.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
this mirrors my fiance's impressions, to a "T" - I'll add comments after I get my hands on mine in a couple hours.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Yes, these things become evident within the first 2 minutes of using the eDGe. I will also be posting a full review during the weekend.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
wow - just wow...I've gotten my hands on it, finally, and Z's got it down...I'm not as familiar with the Android OS so I've fumbled around with that some, but other than that, I love this thing!
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
More, More, More!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I was supposed to receive mine today as well, but got an apology email saying that due to unexpected shortages I would now have to wait until March 8 for my unit. Not sure how many are in the same boat as myself, but it's good to see that some people are getting theirs on time.

Like others, I am anxious for more details. Particularly curious how well this will work with Microsoft Exchange/Outlook email - opening PDF attachments, annotating them and emailing the annotated PDF.
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict

I will get to a better review this weekend. I will try to do a two part review. Let me play with it for a little longer before I write the review. So far, I really, really like the eDGe.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Spiritwnd
Spiritwnd is on a distinguished road

Device: G1, Pocketbook 301+
COME ON...SOMEONE....tell me is it worth it??!!

I think I will just go order the thing!!!!
Spiritwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I can say that it is heavier than I expected. The eink is definitely faster than all of my versions of the Kindle ( I have owned all three )

The lcd is highly addictive. That being the case, I have played some with the eink but not enough to give my review yet.

Overall, I am highly impressed by everything about the eDGe except for its weight. The glossy blue case is definitely a finger print magnet. As soon as a Skinit is available, I will be buying a set to both protect my investment but also to hide the prints.

The stylus is really a simple plastic device. It's main advantage is how TIGHT it fits in the slot. You won't lose it by it falling out. That is for DAMN sure.

The hinge is very tight. The whole device feels like a professional tool. It has a lot of plastic but it definately doesn't feel cheap.

I have opened several pdfs and epubs on the eink side. Zoom and annotation works as advertised. Again it has very fast page turns. PDF reflow works. It resets the zoom level when you use it. Don't really know if it is a feature I will need but it definitely works great.

The picture tool works with even annotations which is cool. I haven't figured out how to save off the pictures that I take ( that will be cool if it is possible ) Work on the eInk side does not interfere with actions on the LCD side. It is truely a multitasking environment.

The Journal tool works exactly as demonstrated in the video. There is about a 3 second wait after pressing the Journal button for it to come up. It is the same amount of time to go back to the book mode.

I downloaded Sudoku Challenge from AndAppStore. Starting the app is slow but once up it works great!. The app comes up full screen except for the eDGe menu at the bottom of the Lcd screen. I would really like to know how to hide it except when on the Home Screen.

You can switch to the mail app without losing your place in the web app. Again it is definitely multitasking. I switched to using a usb keyboard a few minutes ago and it just works.

The money on the first releases wasn't placed in any fancy packaging. It had 3 layers of bubble wrap around it inside the FedEx package which showed just how nicely they cared for it.

I am just tickled pink.

Last edited by paulckennedy; 02-26-2010 at 10:32 PM.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
edercito
edercito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 Wifi
Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions. This is the first time since the Kindle 1 that an ebook reader caught my interest (well, this is more like a tablet). It looks particularly suited to finally be able to read scientific papers comfortably.

I do wonder if the battery life will be close to what they advertise.

Eder
edercito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
karavisa
karavisa began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Look like I will order one. I wonder if we can take a photo or video and save it to pdf
karavisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #12
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Did you see the goober on ebay who has 4 of them and is trying to sell them for $1000 each?

Also, check out the numerous tutorial videos entourage has added to their youtube account.
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
I can say that it is heavier than I expected. The eink is definitely faster than all of my versions of the Kindle ( I have owned all three )

The lcd is highly addictive. That being the case, I have played some with the eink but not enough to give my review yet.

Overall, I am highly impressed by everything about the eDGe except for its weight. The glossy blue case is definitely a finger print magnet. As soon as a Skinit is available, I will be buying a set to both protect my investment but also to hide the prints.

The stylus is really a simple plastic device. It's main advantage is how TIGHT it fits in the slot. You won't lose it by it falling out. That is for DAMN sure.

The hinge is very tight. The whole device feels like a professional tool. It has a lot of plastic but it definately doesn't feel cheap.

I have opened several pdfs and epubs on the eink side. Zoom and annotation works as advertised. Again it has very fast page turns. PDF reflow works. It resets the zoom level when you use it. Don't really know if it is a feature I will need but it definitely works great.

The picture tool works with even annotations which is cool. I haven't figured out how to save off the pictures that I take ( that will be cool if it is possible ) Work on the eInk side does not interfere with actions on the LCD side. It is truely a multitasking environment.

The Journal tool works exactly as demonstrated in the video. There is about a 3 second wait after pressing the Journal button for it to come up. It is the same amount of time to go back to the book mode.

I downloaded Sudoku Challenge from AndAppStore. Starting the app is slow but once up it works great!. The app comes up full screen except for the eDGe menu at the bottom of the Lcd screen. I would really like to know how to hide it except when on the Home Screen.

You can switch to the mail app without losing your place in the web app. Again it is definitely multitasking. I switched to using a usb keyboard a few minutes ago and it just works.

The money on the first releases wasn't placed in any fancy packaging. It had 3 layers of bubble wrap around it inside the FedEx package which showed just how nicely they cared for it.

I am just tickled pink.
with the e-ink side you can only read documents or you can do other things ?
if the answer is the first.. it's not much different from having an e-ink device plus a netbook.. you simply are avoiding to use a cable, and you are gaining instead a lot of unnecessary weight when you read stuff..

think about it..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Spiritwnd
Spiritwnd is on a distinguished road

Device: G1, Pocketbook 301+
Thank You

Mine is now on order.

For all of you Early Adopters out there, I salute you!
I was worried about it a little. Especially the case design.

-Spirit
Spiritwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
with the e-ink side you can only read documents or you can do other things ?
if the answer is the first.. it's not much different from having an e-ink device plus a netbook.. you simply are avoiding to use a cable, and you are gaining instead a lot of unnecessary weight when you read stuff..

think about it..
Right now you are correct but I say wait for the sdk to hit. I see lots of possibilities with this 2 screen format. The ability to have 2 documents open from the same library At The Same time presents a world of possibilities. Books, magazines, and Newspapers can highly expand with the interactive capabilities.

Right now, it appears to be a very capable and fast eink device.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote