Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Classic Novel Collection

My dad just got my mom a sony reader for christmas and I've been tasked to come up with the content.

My mom loves classic literature and history books, the kind of stuff that is available on project gutenberg.

I was wondering if anyone has a collection, perhaps a couple of gigs of such literature available. It is such a PITA to download it one by one from gutenberg and also it would be great if the files were not numbers but actually were the book titles. Text files is fine of course.

Anyone have a collection like with such authors as dickens and henry james and melville? You would be a hero for my mom!?!
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Gutenberg offers all that stuff for bulk download or even will send you a CD or DVD for free if you can't download. (Consider a donation to support the work, if you can afford it.)

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...nd_DVD_Project

Edit:
By the way, there is lots of info in the threads about formatting if you do a little searching. Here are a couple that come to mind:

* A MS Word macro to format files (simple)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793

* Gutenberg Converter
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8388

* Another Gutenberg Converter
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Then there's http://Manybooks.net, which offers a lot of the gutenberg format in LRF files, if that helps any.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have had excellent results with the manybooks files -- from web downloading to device downloading to reading, they have been a pleasure to use.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find the text size used by "manybooks" to be a little on the small size for the Reader, so personally I prefer to use the Word formatting macro kindly provided by Stingo, which produces excellent results.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
thebeaglebeagle
thebeaglebeagle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Personal Reader
I second all the above comments, and add that my basic course has been to download the RTF from Manybooks.net, open the RTF in a TextEdit type application (or Word), select all, increase font size two or three steps, and the save the file. I copy all those files to a 1GB SD card and stick the card in my reader. That's what most of my library consists of now.
thebeaglebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote