Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
AKninja04
AKninja04 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Calibre chapter detection

Hello everyone, I just got my Sony Reader in the mail today and it works like a charm

So my question is: can I change the setting in the conversion menu to help detect the chapters of my books better, or at all?

Like for my Lemony Snicket books, the chapters use actual words instead of numbers (chapter one, chapter two), so it doesn't actually detect anything for the TOC.

And also for my James Clavell novel Shogun, it detects every chapter fine and lists it perfectly because it uses actually numbers but every once and a while it has a book header and only shows book because the numbers next to book are in words (BOOK ONE, chapter 1, chapter 2, etc...)

One more thing in the Shogun novel, after it detects to a certain extent, it only shows BOOKs after a while, even thought there are more chapter headers in between. Here's the log:

Log:
Extracting LIT file to c:\users\topram~1\appdata\local\temp\calibre_lit2o eb_baynp5
[INFO] __init__.pyo:644: Processing 'c:\\users\\topram~1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibr e_lit2oeb_baynp5\\James Clavell - Shogun.htm'
[INFO] __init__.pyo:644: Parsing HTML...
[INFO] __init__.pyo:644: Written preprocessed HTML to c:\users\topram~1\appdata\local\temp\html2lrf-verbose.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:644: Converting to BBeB...
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter BOOK
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 2
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 3
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 4
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 5
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 6
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 8
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 9
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 10
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 11
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 12
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 13
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 14
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 15
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 16
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 17
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 18
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 19
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 20
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 21
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 22
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 23
[DEBUG] __init__.pyo:644: Detected chapter CHAPTER 24
[INFO] __init__.pyo:644: Rationalizing font sizes...
[INFO] convert_from.py:1919: Output written to c:\users\topram~1\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.4.8 3_924zoa.lrf

Thanks in advance for any replies and happy ebook reading!
AKninja04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
it shouldnt matter whether it uses numbers or words. Read the help text of the --chapter-regex and --chapter-attr options (by mousing over them in the GUI
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
AKninja04
AKninja04 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Does it matter if the chapter number-word is on a different line than the word chapter itself?

Ex. Chapter BOOK
One THREE

(Sorry, for some reason I can't get them to align correctly)

Last edited by AKninja04; 08-27-2008 at 09:26 PM.
AKninja04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the chapter match searches only for the string chapter or section or book (the presence or absence of a chapter number/word is immaterial)

EDIT: I shoudl add that it only searches for the word inside heading tags (i.e. <h1> - <h2>)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-27-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
mtyers
mtyers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Turn ALL H2 tags into chapters

Hi
Rather new to this subject since I only purchased my 505 on 5th Sept (UK launch date was 4th).

I have created some PDF files where the book title is <h1> and each of the chapters <h2> but the chapters do not have any common text such as 'chapter'.

Is there a way using Calibre to just turn ALL the H2 tags into chapter headings (and start each chapter on a new page? (I know nothing about regular expressions).

Also can I add custom fonts so I can create LRF files in the font of my choice?

Thanks in advance

Mark
mtyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Update to the 0.4.84 betas (see the call for testers thread) and set the --chapter-attr option to h2,none,

There are options font embedding as well. Just look in the GUI.