Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #136
thorgal
thorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Onyx M92
Hi all, i am new to the forum. Just purchased a M92 from ereader.de. I am happy with it, works fine until now, only problem is that the USB power adapter unit which came with the M92 didnt work at all, but i am waiting for a new unit from ereader.de to arrive soon (great service so far).

About the new 1.7 firmware i have to say that it has some new nice details, as pen calibration working fine at last, but the important thing, so the PDF handling, is as buggy as in the previous 1.7 beta. If you use the zooming tools the page layout will change to continuous layout, which is mostly useless. Also, buttons to turn pages dont work at all... so trying to read a PDF is absolute torture. Cant comment about other new features since i quickly changed AGAIN to 1.6, with less features but useful at least.

I would say that an e-book reader is to read books, browsing internet is secondary IMO. So, people at Onyx, take care first of the important issues and then, if you have time left, add new links to the browser, please.

Last edited by thorgal; 02-15-2012 at 05:36 PM.
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #137
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I can also confirm I'm glad https works, so now I can connect to my home network, but connecting to ad-hoc network (tethering from my Nokia with Joiku Spot) does not work.

Typing in forms in web browser very slow (and for website addresses it's quite slow) and I would like some loading page progress, sometimes there is no feedback.

Also, the pdf I mention before that it does not work. Here is the link again http://cs.joensuu.fi/paikka/andrei/istoria.pdf , Booxtor, could you check it ?
your document is secured.
that might be the problem.

Do you need to select text or scribbling will do it?
Download PDF Creator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/) and print the document to that printer. That should remove the protection.
Next you open the doc in Adobe Acrobat (download a trial copy) and try to save your document in different PDF versions.

OCR-ul nu merge, il poti printa la un PDF reader si de acolo il treci prin OCR si se rezolva partea cu selectia textului ..Fiind ortografie veche si fonturi la fel de vechi nu prea cred ca merge totusi

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #138
killer87
killer87 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Sorry, I followed the instructions booxtor, but after half an hour has not yet restarted the player, the LED continues to blink, I tried to turn it off but it does not turn of, the screen is that of initial loading, the loading bar is full.
please help.

EDIT:
while holding down the start button I was able to reset it but it kept crashing, so I tried again to update it but it gave me the same result as the last attempt I tried to restart togliando the sd card and now you are not locked.
Thanks to all the same.

Last edited by killer87; 02-15-2012 at 07:55 PM.
killer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #139
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
your document is secured.
that might be the problem.

Do you need to select text or scribbling will do it?
Download PDF Creator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/) and print the document to that printer. That should remove the protection.
Next you open the doc in Adobe Acrobat (download a trial copy) and try to save your document in different PDF versions.

OCR-ul nu merge, il poti printa la un PDF reader si de acolo il treci prin OCR si se rezolva partea cu selectia textului ..Fiind ortografie veche si fonturi la fel de vechi nu prea cred ca merge totusi
Yes, I saw that is secured. I was thinking to print it via Pdf creator or Adobe Acrobat, but have not tried it yet. I don't need to do any scribbling or annotation, just read it (in my reader it crashes when opening it). So I was not complaining about being unable to scribble on it, just that I cannot read it. And I also noticed that problem on some other scanned books on pdf without protection (may be some memory problem)?

Am dat cartea asta ca exemplu, dar toate cartile de pe DacoRomanica nu merg pe reader, imi da o eroare cand le deschid sau cand trec de prima pagina. Nu ma intereseaza nimic altceva decat sa pot sa le citesc, o sa incerc diseara sa ma joc cu diferite conversii de pdf sa vad daca merge. Multumesc oricum pentru raspuns.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #140
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer87 View Post
Sorry, I followed the instructions booxtor, but after half an hour has not yet restarted the player, the LED continues to blink, I tried to turn it off but it does not turn of, the screen is that of initial loading, the loading bar is full.
please help.

EDIT:
while holding down the start button I was able to reset it but it kept crashing, so I tried again to update it but it gave me the same result as the last attempt I tried to restart togliando the sd card and now you are not locked.
Thanks to all the same.
Hi,
I guess your SD Card is defective. Please try another SD Card.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #141
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post

If you use the zooming tools the page layout will change to continuous layout, which is mostly useless. Also, buttons to turn pages dont work at all... so trying to read a PDF is absolute torture. ....
That is weird. I just tried some PDFs and I can't confirm the writen above. All buttons to turn page in all zoom modes work just fine ...

UPD: I see what you mean. In some PDFs if you switch the zoom mode the layout mode switches to "Scroll Pages". This is really a nasty bug. Will be corrected ASAP.

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-16-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #142
Booxtor
Booxtor

I've just discovered another very usefull thing in 1.7.

If you open your books with Cool Reader (EPUB, FB2 or CHM), there is a new Advanced Menu where you can set additional settings (like margins, bold font, two pages in landscape mode etc.) and very quick and easily switch between recently opened books.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #143
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I did not check this, but is it possible to have 2 column display in landscape mode for epubs? Also, please do some tests for tethering and connecting to ad-hoc wifi on your device.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #144
thorgal
thorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
That is weird. I just tried some PDFs and I can't confirm the writen above. All buttons to turn page in all zoom modes work just fine ...

UPD: I see what you mean. In some PDFs if you switch the zoom mode the layout mode switches to "Scroll Pages". This is really a nasty bug. Will be corrected ASAP.
Thank you.

Did you check the turn-page buttons? It didnt worked either for me.

BTW, the PDF was this: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Fo...10XT_OM_ES.pdf
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #145
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Re. new f/w 1.7 and browser bookmarks:
- I can now add additional start-pages, good.
- The existing start-pages (Google, Onyx, Wiki) cannot be deleted. Others can, (but only via the bookmark icon (star) in the browser).
- Start-page Google is German. (If preferences in Google itself can be changed, I have not been able to find out where.)
- When adding a page to start-pages, it does not add it to the bookmark list (good).
- Adding a bookmark to the bookmark list, also adds it as a start-page. I get the feeling this behavior is unintended. (Existing bookmarks are not shown on start-page, which I consider the desired behavior.)
- When adding a start-page or a bookmark, the bookmark icon (star) in the browser reflects this perfectly. It does not, however, reflect the already existing bookmarks.
- Form entering and drop-down menus are somewhat of a slow bother, and drop.downs might actually crash the browser. (E.g. try to go to www.duckduckgo.com, then click Settings in lower right-hand corner, change some and see how far you get).

WiFi:
- If suspending the unit whilst connected, it seems virtually impossible to 'revive' it again, i.e. it keeps crashing out to start-page, and/or hangs permanently on Scanning. Only way around this is to jump all the way out to initial page and choose Web again.
- Wish: It would be nice if there was an indication of what WiFi point the unit is connected to (e.g. when going to Network, have it filled in with existing instead of blank). Minor point, though...

It seems that most people don't care much about Web functionality, so I understand if this is not exactly a priority... but I do, though.
Booxtor, is there a place I could forward some of these issues to? Or seeing as you are in contact with them, maybe you could do it, when you have a minute?

All the best...
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #146
javi_alex27
javi_alex27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The chm files need more support. I am using the new firmware 1.7, I have many files in this format and some of them I can't open, I use a lot this format. I bougth the onyx so I don't have to read this files on my computer.
I would like to attach it, but I can't because is chm and it's not support it here.

Booxtor please ask for more support in chm files.

Last edited by javi_alex27; 02-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.
javi_alex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #147
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi_alex27 View Post
The chm files need more support. I am using the new firmware 1.7, I have many files in this format and some of them I can't open, I use a lot this format. I bougth the onyx so I don't have to read this files on my computer.
I would like to attach it, but I can't because is chm and it's not support it here.

Why don't you get in touch with Onyx support directly, which is possible - according to Booxtor. Seems to be the normal procedure? Why the detour?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #148
Booxtor
Booxtor

I have updated the link in the fist post to the Firmware 1.7. It is 20120221 now.

Message from Onyx:
"... We have been doing a massive testing on the firmware version 1.7. Mostly we focus on PDF reader and web browser. For the PDF reader, we have fixed the "Scroll Pages" mode issue. The bug was caused by the adding feature that automatically change to "Scroll Pages" after zooming. Now we only deploy this feature when at 6 inch device.

For the web browser, we also fixed a bug in the WiFi driver. The bug in the driver is the caused of the "connecting..." issue."

The Page Turn Buttons in PDF in zoom mode must work now (did not tested it yet)

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-21-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #149
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi_alex27 View Post

Could you pack a not working CHM in a RAR and send it to me using contact form in our store? I could open and read all my CHM files. But I don't have a lot.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #150
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Why don't you get in touch with Onyx support directly, which is possible - according to Booxtor. Seems to be the normal procedure? Why the detour?
It sounds a bit sarcastically, doesn't it?