Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Who's going to buy a PINK PRS 350?

As near as I can tell, every pink thing not aimed at 8 year old girls has ended up on the close-out web sites for 60% off. Even if a Pink PRS 350 is wildly popular and maybe 8 - 10 people buy one, that means a LOT of them will wind up heavily discounted in 18 - 24 months.

isn't it time for a new fad color?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a pink 300...and I haven't been 8-years-old since well...1969!

I like it, but I have a bit of history with "pink". I am not a "pink" girl. I like red, royal blue, teal. And yet somehow (because of what was available with a stick-shift when I went to buy a new car), for 10 years I ended up with a pink Hyundai Accent when I bought my first new car.

It because kind of a running joke that I had to have pink things...so when the pink 300 came out (and went on sale, since I was generally happy with my 600 except for the glare), I just had to have one to continue to gag.

I see no reason to upgrade though. I'm very tempted to replace the 600, but for what it does, the 300 is serving me very well.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I like it, but I have a bit of history with "pink". I am not a "pink" girl. I like red, royal blue, teal.
I like red, royal blue and teal as well, and generally rarely wear pink. For some reason, I really like the pink 350. If the larger-sized readers (the 650 or the 950) were available in pink, I'd get the pink. As it is, I'll probably get either the 650 or the 950 (I'd rather get the 950, but I don't know if I want to wait for it to come out...)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
As near as I can tell, every pink thing not aimed at 8 year old girls has ended up on the close-out web sites for 60% off. Even if a Pink PRS 350 is wildly popular and maybe 8 - 10 people buy one, that means a LOT of them will wind up heavily discounted in 18 - 24 months.

isn't it time for a new fad color?
I have to say, if a reader I wanted was available for a lower price in a colour I didn't like, I'd rather get the cheaper, ugly-coloured version rather than pay more. But to each his own! Lets hope that Sony comes out with some Neon-orange or lime green models someday, so that we can get them later at a great discount!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I pre-ordered one yesterday, it wasn't because I wanted a pink one, but because I simply couldn't stand the thought of owning a silver one. With that said, the more pics that I see showing the pink 350 the more that I like the color. I imagine that seeing it in person will drive all thoughts about a red one out of my head.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcien View Post
I pre-ordered one yesterday, it wasn't because I wanted a pink one, but because I simply couldn't stand the thought of owning a silver one. With that said, the more pics that I see showing the pink 350 the more that I like the color. I imagine that seeing it in person will drive all thoughts about a red one out of my head.
I don't like silver tech products either, for some reason. Silver jewelery, silver accessories, purses, shoes... great. Silver cars and gadgets, not for me, thanks.

I do have a purse that matches the pink 350... That pinky-purple colour has really grown on me this last year! I would really like to get the 950; unfortunately it looks like it will only be available in silver.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you guys haven't noticed all the Pink stuff on the close-out web sites? It is clearly a color that doesn't have many followers, yet the manufacturers seem to continue to think that it's a great way to attract women customers.

The close-out sales would seem to indicate otherwise!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Not a lot of point in looking for one, since I already own one!

But it's not a complete surprise...both men and women will buy black/dark blue or silver, even red. But I don't know too many men willing to buy pink. So the market is decreased to begin with. And not all women like pink, either.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm holding out for the sale.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I am on other sites (knitting and scrapbooking) where women go crazy to buy products if they are available in pink.

I can see where maybe tech products wouldn't be in the same market because those same women are, for the most part, not interested in readers the way they are now. They are interested, but do not wish to spend the money for one until a truly universal format is established. What I've been seeing is that they are all concerned that their chosen format is going to go the way of Betamax and 3 1/2" floppies, and they don't want to be stuck with books and files that can't be read. Most people -- me included -- are not going to spend time and energy format shifting and managing libraries when that time can be better spent on picking out patterns and planning layouts.

They may jump on a pink tool that they were already going to buy, but decide to buy something just because it's pink? Not likely.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I do have a purse that matches the pink 350... That pinky-purple colour has really grown on me this last year! I would really like to get the 950; unfortunately it looks like it will only be available in silver.
I was planning on "hiding" the pink 350 in the black slip case that came with my 600, that way the only time anyone would see that it's pink when I take it to work is when I'm reading on it (that and I didn't want to spend out money on a case), seeing as how I read in my car on my lunch breaks (smoke free building) that would require them to look in my car.

I've decided that I like the color enough not to hide it, and I've ordered the pink zipper case that Sony Style has for it. It's guaranteed to draw a lot of comments but I'll deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
So you guys haven't noticed all the Pink stuff on the close-out web sites? It is clearly a color that doesn't have many followers, yet the manufacturers seem to continue to think that it's a great way to attract women customers.

The close-out sales would seem to indicate otherwise!
I don't shop at close-out web sites and I've never paid any mind to how well a color does so I'd have no idea how well pink does. I also have no idea how well silver does but judging by how the 300, 600, and 350 have a silver option, and that the 950 is silver only, I'd have to think that it's popular.

I like pink electronics, I've just never been very comfortable with anyone seeing me with them, or even admitting to liking the color, but I think that pre-ordering the pink 350 pushed me over the edge into not caring anymore.

So to answer your question "isn't it time for a new fad color?" No.

Last edited by Selcien; 09-02-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I'd love to get it! Although I think my hubby may blow a gasket as I just got my 300 at Christmas. I prefer the smaller size to the bigger one and love what I've read about it so far. The screen looks very clear but I want to see it in person. I love the larger memory and the dictionary & note taking features are an added bonus.

When I started bugging him for a reader he thought to get the bigger one, 600, but I didn't like the clarity of it. I preferred the 300 because it was so much clearer to my eye and for me, I like the smaller size.

I want to see the unit in person before I start my crusade to get one. LOL

I know what you're saying about pink stuff being in the discount bin but I don't really care. I'll deal with the price I get when I go to sell my pink/rose 300. I'm silly and like the color. I wouldn't buy the thing just because of the color but it would attract me and if I was in the market for one and it had features I wanted or was looking for, that'd push me to buy it. Guess what color my Nano and my glucose meter is? lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcien View Post
I don't shop at close-out web sites and I've never paid any mind to how well a color does so I'd have no idea how well pink does. I also have no idea how well silver does but judging by how the 300, 600, and 350 have a silver option, and that the 950 is silver only, I'd have to think that it's popular.

I like pink electronics, I've just never been very comfortable with anyone seeing me with them, or even admitting to liking the color, but I think that pre-ordering the pink 350 pushed me over the edge into not caring anymore.

So to answer your question "isn't it time for a new fad color?" No.
You probably ought to look at the close-out and discount electronics websites. Lots of really good stuff really cheap! Especially since you don't mind the color pink!

And it still doesn't seem to make any economic sense for the manufacturers to make thousands of units in a color that very few people will buy, only to sell them at a serious discount later. It would seem to make MORE sense to make fewer, more bland, units and sell accessories to personalize those units.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950

PS
Seriously, is it actually pink or dark red metallic?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Thanks for the post.

I never followed Arrowsmith, I'm from the Doors generation. But I enjoyed that song and the video.