Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Kobo Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Does the Arc use the generic Android kobo App?

I have only used the Vox, and on this the Android app from the play store did work (before an update broke it),but it was not the same as the app that came pre installed
Hi

The Arc does not come with the Android Kobo app, I say this because I have his and hers Arc's, my Arc has a different file structure to my wife's. To try and solve this I downloaded the Android version from the Play store, my file structure remains different to my wife's.

I was unsure if this would be a problem, I posted a question on here and also via the Kobo help desk, I was not surprised NOT to get an answer, despite being told on here that my question/problem would be passed up the line!

My brother also has a Kobo device, he too passed a question to the help desk, simple thing about forgetting his password, I accept that that is his mistake, however it took Kobo 10 days to resolve what I would consider a simple problem.

Whilst I like my Arc, my brother likes his, I have no real faith in the Help Desk and the Kobo guys on here have been transported to another dimension methinks. I just feel at the moment Kobo is a victim of it's own success.

The Arc works fine with the Android version of the software but this version is 100% NOT the same as what Kobo installs at the factory.

Device 100%, brilliant in fact, I reserve judgement on the support team!

Just to keep the record straight and true, in a former life I too worked on a computer help desk and spent time undertaking system testing and design so I feel my opinion is valid.

Regards
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
Hi

The Arc does not come with the Android Kobo app, I say this because I have his and hers Arc's, my Arc has a different file structure to my wife's. To try and solve this I downloaded the Android version from the Play store, my file structure remains different to my wife's.

I was unsure if this would be a problem, I posted a question on here and also via the Kobo help desk, I was not surprised NOT to get an answer, despite being told on here that my question/problem would be passed up the line!

My brother also has a Kobo device, he too passed a question to the help desk, simple thing about forgetting his password, I accept that that is his mistake, however it took Kobo 10 days to resolve what I would consider a simple problem.

Whilst I like my Arc, my brother likes his, I have no real faith in the Help Desk and the Kobo guys on here have been transported to another dimension methinks. I just feel at the moment Kobo is a victim of it's own success.

The Arc works fine with the Android version of the software but this version is 100% NOT the same as what Kobo installs at the factory.

Device 100%, brilliant in fact, I reserve judgement on the support team!

Just to keep the record straight and true, in a former life I too worked on a computer help desk and spent time undertaking system testing and design so I feel my opinion is valid.

Regards
Thanks for that

I was just curious when I saw people saying to update the app from the google store

I like the generic android app (what I mainly use now) and would have expected the built in app on the Arc to have more features
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Carpman
Connoisseur

Kobo Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Thanks for that

I was just curious when I saw people saying to update the app from the google store

I like the generic android app (what I mainly use now) and would have expected the built in app on the Arc to have more features
I of course now have to use the generic app, perhaps when the mystical Android software update surfaces it may put my Arc file structure back to factory spec.

Bottom line, both versions work fine, I am just curious as to why the differences, but that may be due to the software working across different platforms.

Carpman over and out......................
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
casualty of the update for me has been Riptide which is now unplayable due to lack of response to touch input to steer.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #20
lana loves books
lana loves books began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Since last update I get more force closes on apps and sometimes wen reading the book just closes its self. Also is any else having to tap screen several times to get keyboard to appear. But in general working great !
lana loves books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

have noticed the screen inconsistent in touch response. has resulted in uninstalling games due to unplayability. sometimes i can barly touch it for a respose other times i have to touch 2-3 times.will probably hard reset one more time and if it doesn't improve will take it back for warranty repair or refund. given whats coming out this year in the same price bracket this tablet needs to work without issue to compete as the spec is rapidly becoming second tier
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I did a reset on mine because the Discovery bar was acting all wack. Now the Arc says it`s all up to date (even when I try the search for update option) though it never did install the recent 280mb update. Weird. It`s like it`s not even available now.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
stevov
Groupie

Time to take it back. Full factory reset and problem with games still exists. Beach Buggy Blitz, Riptide and Real Racing all work but intermittently the steering to the right stops without warning. Either when your turning right it straightens up while your still touching to go right or you are going straight and touch to go right and nothing happens. Tablet is a month and a half old and was opened Christmas day. Will update on UK customer service.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I haven't updated my Arc since I bought it. It works, Kobo doesn't tell us what updates do, so screw it.

Android version 4.0.4, Kernel 3.0.31 Nov 13 2012, Build IMM76L.424
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #25
Carpman
Connoisseur

Arc update

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
I haven't updated my Arc since I bought it. It works, Kobo doesn't tell us what updates do, so screw it.

Android version 4.0.4, Kernel 3.0.31 Nov 13 2012, Build IMM76L.424
I assume that the Kobo tech staff are trying to sort out a number of issues raised here in the forums. There are a fair few problems to be resolved judging by some of the questions/comments here.

I have unanswered questions, not only here on the forum but also by contacting the Kobo help desk, direct.

I feel the Kobo interface is far to intrusive and the books suggestions I constantly get are frankly laughable, so much so i have now disabled the service.

I have also installed the Holo Launcher HD from the Play Store, clean simple and quick. Generally I do not like "plugging" software, as one persons joy is another persons pain, but Holo works for me and and gives a far better experience with the Arc.

As for the Arc, the hardware is great but what Kobo are trying to achieve with the software still needs a lot of hard work. Perhaps the tech team will get there sometime soon?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
stevov
Groupie

Using Nova launcher myself. The sad part is the lack of comment from Kobo on these forums especially as they are checking them and this as far as I can tell is the biggest Kobo forum on the internet. A prospective customer would be left wondering what he/she could expect if they did buy an arc. If Rakuten are looking to challenge amazon and others via media devices they had better up their game.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Carpman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Using Nova launcher myself. The sad part is the lack of comment from Kobo on these forums especially as they are checking them and this as far as I can tell is the biggest Kobo forum on the internet. A prospective customer would be left wondering what he/she could expect if they did buy an arc. If Rakuten are looking to challenge amazon and others via media devices they had better up their game.
If you want to know what Rakuten are about take a look at www.play.com, in particular the Kobo prices, they seem oddly out of sync? I have used Play for years but the recent tax changes and change of ownership to Rakuten have left me wondering about the sites future.

My concerns re Play are translated to my concerns about Kobo's future. As I have said before the Kobo guys posting on here seem to have been "beamed up" perhaps Spock knows what has happened to them?

Some one needs to "pick up the ball" pdq as lack of input here on these forums could be translated as lack of interest by potential Kobo purchasers....That would be a shame as I still like my Arc, a lot.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
stevov
Groupie

Awesome customer service by W H Smith Kilmarnock in the U.K. Bought tablet in the middle of December.Took tablet in today with touch problems. demonstrated above mentioned gaming problem. i was asked what would i like them to do. 2 minutes later a happy customer is walking out of the store with a new Kobo Arc.
KOBO CUSTOMER service take note. That's how its done
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #29
RiverDan
RiverDan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Awesome customer service by W H Smith Kilmarnock in the U.K. Bought tablet in the middle of December.Took tablet in today with touch problems. demonstrated above mentioned gaming problem. i was asked what would i like them to do. 2 minutes later a happy customer is walking out of the store with a new Kobo Arc.
KOBO CUSTOMER service take note. That's how its done

I love good customer service. Good to hear.
RiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote