Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #31
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give this another go and even if it's not catching on, keep at it as the series does get better. Trust me on this.
I've tried like 3 times. If I need to read this book to get to the rest of the series...I think I will never read this series, lol.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I've tried like 3 times. If I need to read [Color of Magic] to get to the rest of the series...I think I will never read this series, lol.
Well, from what I understand Discworld is made up of a bunch of smaller series, like the stuff with Death, and the guards. I haven't read many of Discworld novels, but I didn't start with Color of Magic. I believe the first one I read was Pyramids, then Mort, then Hogfather. I believe those are the only three I've read but I understood what was going on without having to read them in order.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I believe the first one I read was Pyramids, then Mort, then Hogfather.
And Small Gods. That was actually the first one I read come to think of it.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
The Color of Magic - I just can't get into it.

Neverwhere and everything else by Neil Gaiman.
I don't blame you for The Color of Magic - it's one of his worst books.

Start with Guards! Guards! and read the night-watch series, or start with one of the Witches books, or even Wee Free Men, which is the start of a YA series. But avoid anything with Ryncewind in it, and the ones that focus on the Wizards are also (IMHO) weak.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oh, and Hogfather and Small Gods are wonderful.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I keep avoiding A Confederacy of Dunces. I gave up 50 pages in and deleted it in disgust. Then Audible had the audiobook free so I picked that up and my husband loved it, but I still can't bring myself to go there.
I read that book because it was considered one of the funniest books written, and wish I'd stopped 50 pages in. I found the characters unlikeable, the settings boring and (worst of all) the humour juvenile.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
I keep trying to read "The Big Decision" by Willy Wonety. I keep picking it up but...............................
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Under the Dome. I was so mad that was windowed, I downloaded a copy off the darknet, and bought the ebook as soon as it was available. And I still haven't read it!

Also, the autobiographies of Clinton and Kennedy (Teddy). Those deserve better than a break between Angry Birds.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 04-28-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The longer the book, the more likely I'm to postpone reading it. At the top of my 'postponed' list is Atlas Shrugged.
Atlas Shrugged is also at the top of my list! I borrowed it 2 years ago and have vowed to read it before returning it... (the friend who lent it to me is not impressed...)

I also tried to read The Fellowship of the Ring a couple of times and decided to indefinitely postpone it...
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #40
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I was so made that was windowed,
This has got to be the fault of auto-correct, right? I've read this sentence about half a dozen times and can't make heads or tails of it.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #41
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I keep avoiding A Confederacy of Dunces. I gave up 50 pages in and deleted it in disgust. Then Audible had the audiobook free so I picked that up and my husband loved it, but I still can't bring myself to go there.

Another overhyped book that is not all that original.. it is decent but you will not miss much if you never get around to reading it.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #42
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time? I think there are at least 12 books now, with more to come. The author passed away but left behind notes that another writer is using to complete the series.
There are currently 13 volumes in the series. Volume 14 is supposed to wrap things up. I gave up around volume 6.

What happened to standalone fantasies? They do still exist, but now it seems as if it is almost obligatory to do multi-volumes. A lot of people blame Tolkien for this, but LOTR was written years ago. And I think he wrote the entire saga in one go. I suspect it may have been broken up into multiple volumes because of the size. Per Wikipedia it was first published in three volumes between 1954 and 1955.

I've gotten to the point where I won't read a fantasy/sci-fi novel if I see it is part one of a series, no matter how good it is supposed to be. I will wait until it is completed.Otherwise, I find myself re-reading earlier volumes when a new one comes out.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #43
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
I also tried to read The Fellowship of the Ring a couple of times and decided to indefinitely postpone it...
I love LOTR. I used to read the entire thing every year. But as someone long ago pointed out (to very roughly paraphrase): they spend so much time .... just walking somewhere. And then there is the poetry/songs ... Not everyone's cup of tea, I admit.

Mine is the great "white whale" (haha) of a book: Moby Dick.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
This has got to be the fault of auto-correct, right? I've read this sentence about half a dozen times and can't make heads or tails of it.
I'm sure she meant mad, not made. A lot of folks were upset when that ebook was windowed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #45
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Sorry. It has been corrected.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote