Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
chriss9
chriss9 began at the beginning.

Device: Surface RT
Kindle Textbook Conversion

Good Day Everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post. If I am incomplete in my question or otherwise out of line, please let me know and I will ensure it does not happen again.

I have been a long time e-reader but recently went back to college. I use a Microsoft surface for travel and want to be able to read a textbook I just bought on that device. So I downloaded the book (it is in AZW4 format from what I see) using the PC reader application.

I installed Calibre and the plugins to remove DRM. I am able to successfully convert the book but the result is pretty bad. For example, the book is about 680 pages but when I convert it to some formats it comes in at well over 3000 pages because it takes certain sections and makes them one page per word for whatever reason.

So far I have tried PDF (preferred since I only want to read it in adobe reader) HTMLZ, and epub formats with no great success. I have NOT really gotten good understanding of other settings beyond the output format so could I be missing something there?

Just want a simple PDF file copy of the book for trips. if anyone has had experience in this area and is willing to share I would appreciate it.

Have an awesome day everyone!

Chris
chriss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss9 View Post
So far I have tried PDF (preferred since I only want to read it in adobe reader) HTMLZ, and epub formats with no great success. I have NOT really gotten good understanding of other settings beyond the output format so could I be missing something there?

Just want a simple PDF file copy of the book for trips. if anyone has had experience in this area and is willing to share I would appreciate it.
It sounds like no conversion is required. Use the KindleUnpack Plugin to extract the PDF intact from within the AZW4 container.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
chriss9
chriss9 began at the beginning.

Device: Surface RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
It sounds like no conversion is required. Use the KindleUnpack Plugin to extract the PDF intact from within the AZW4 container.
Thank you Sir. I will take a look at that. And also, thank you for your service.

Go Navy!

Chris
chriss9 is offline   Reply With Quote