Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #1066
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is what I use the highlights and annotations for. Mark things I think are mistakes with a comment about why. Then I check them and fix the book when I am in front of a computer.
Yep, that's the way I do it too. I may be lacking understanding or ambition, but, given the number of steps needed to unpack an epub into an editable form on a full-blown computer, with the associated processor load, I can't see how it could be done "on the fly" on a reader.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #1067
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
I would like to second (part of) a request made by Rockin in 2011:

Since 99% of the time I move forward in a book I would like to simplify that process for someone like me that holds it with either hand and actually switches frequently. I think the new feature for customized tap regions is an improvement but it didn't go far enough. I would like to see horizontal region options along with the vertical regions they have. Myself, I would like the top 1/3 for going backwards, the bottom 2/3 for going forward, the menu stuck in the bottom middle of the 2/3 section like it currently is for the two new vertical options.

I simply copied his text as it covers my need perfectly.

Another request would be to have a "Reading Now" button/link on the Home page for those cases when loading 5 books or more pushes the "Reading Now" book off that screen.
I know that I can go to "Library" then sort by Last Read but a button on the Home page would be a lot more convenient.

Finally (for now) the time display at the top of the screen when pressing the page numbers (while in reading mode) is great but it disappears in 1 second to be replaced by the "xx%" label.
Could the time either be displayed permanently or maybe left on for 3-4 seconds?
I realise that in more than a second the minute could have changed and thus the display may be inaccurate but I don't think anyone would mind if the label (un-refreshed) is a few seconds late.

Last edited by Corkobo; 11-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #1068
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Peakcrew,

If the software in the ereader can open, buffer into memory, strip HTML tags, then render and format the text for the display, editing it and saving the newly corrected HTML shouldn't be a huge step... unless the software was designed specifically to allow only for import and disallow writing. Concerning DRM issues that wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

More likely, no one thought of it, or DRM muddied the water enough that no one wanted to get involved or just thought it too minor an issue as most people perform an automatic context based replacement in their minds when reading -that's one of the issues that makes proofing your own work(letters, papers, emails) difficult, you tend to "add-in" entire missing words because you know what you meant to express and often don't even notice the absence of entire words, usually shorter words or articles unless paying particular attention. The mind sees what it expects to see, and fills in the missing blanks -not necessarily what is. We're much more likely to notice an out of context word.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #1069
Wendy
Neverland resident
Wendy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
I agree with azbds. Please bring back the reading progression bar. I would prefer having this to percentage read.
I am enjoying all other updates, especially the increased speed. Thanks.
I'm joining in the chorus. Both me and my boyfriend miss the bar a lot, including the little lines that showed how long chapters are.
Those are things I also use in paper books. I flip forward to see if I can read the next chapter before I have to go the bed. Don't really see a reason why that feature was taken away...

One other thing that bothers me is, in the library view, whenever I turn the page, I get this ugly pop-up that tells me I'm on page "x of 20". This used to be a line under the book covers, now it pops up over the bottom row of covers. It's not terrible but not nice either.

Other than that, I'm super happy with the latest update. My Kobo is much faster, the shelves work better. Now all Kobo has to do is fix the search function on their homepage.
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #1070
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
It'd be great if the summary font could be bigger, when we check the infos of the ebooks, it's way too small.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1071
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Peakcrew,

If the software in the ereader can open, buffer into memory, strip HTML tags, then render and format the text for the display, editing it and saving the newly corrected HTML shouldn't be a huge step... unless the software was designed specifically to allow only for import and disallow writing. Concerning DRM issues that wouldn't necessarily surprise me.
That's interesting. I'd pay money for that option. Proof-reading is a lot easier when actually reading. My sideloaded epubs end up with huge files of annotations for corrections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
... most people perform an automatic context based replacement in their minds when reading -that's one of the issues that makes proofing your own work(letters, papers, emails) difficult, you tend to "add-in" entire missing words because you know what you meant to express and often don't even notice the absence of entire words, usually shorter words or articles unless paying particular attention. The mind sees what it expects to see, and fills in the missing blanks -not necessarily what is. We're much more likely to notice an out of context word.
I know - I have a useful disease. Guess who gets all the proof-reading to do in my department ...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #1072
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
If I come across a book that has been poorly proofed and I feel it's worth my time to correct I load a copy into Sigil software on my netbook and make corrections on the fly as they are detected while reading on my Kobo. Sigil can be used to correct all kinds of issues such as missing TOC etc.

As for new features on the Kobo I also would like to have the current active read pinned to the home page to avoid losing it when new books ( more than 5) are added to the reader. I shouldn't have to go looking for my current read just because I decided to add to my library. Most annoying.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #1073
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
If I come across a book that has been poorly proofed and I feel it's worth my time to correct I load a copy into Sigil software on my netbook and make corrections on the fly as they are detected while reading on my Kobo. Sigil can be used to correct all kinds of issues such as missing TOC etc.
Yes, Sigil is a great program. However, these days I don't often read where it would be convenient to have two devices going. Balancing the KT and a laptop on a 30-minute bus journey would be a nuisance, and I doubt my wife would be impressed if I got into bed with that amount of tech! An all-in-one reader/editor would suit me down to the ground - which has just made me think: does Sigil run on Android? If "Yes", will my Galaxy Note have the guts to run it?

Excuse me - I'm off to do some research ... :-)

Last edited by Peakcrew; 11-16-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #1074
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
... does Sigil run on Android?
No, it doesn't. Ah well, back to the drawing board.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #1075
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
NEW BOOKS SHELF

I was thinking with the advent of the Shelves feature, prehaps it could be set up that new books either side loaded or kobo purchased could be automatically placed into a "NEW BOOKS" shelf when they are processed as content on the Touch, Glo, Mini, Vox or Arc Devices.

REgards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #1076
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I was thinking with the advent of the Shelves feature, prehaps it could be set up that new books either side loaded or kobo purchased could be automatically placed into a "NEW BOOKS" shelf when they are processed as content on the Touch, Glo, Mini, Vox or Arc Devices.

REgards

Jack
For those using Calibre to add things to the right shelf, this might be a pain, but for any new book not otherwise shelved, it wold be useful to make sure the library gets tidied up each time books get added.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #1077
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
When you long touch a word or words and get definition need more options at bottom of screen for better definition or more information with shortcut to wikipedia, google, bing to speed web browser connection for better definition or more information from web. This might include settings for your choice of search options.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #1078
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
When you long touch a word or words and get definition need more options at bottom of screen for better definition or more information with shortcut to wikipedia, google, bing to speed web browser connection for better definition or more information from web. This might include settings for your choice of search options.
I love being able to pull up inline Wikipedia definitions along with the dictionary short on OSX. Would be a really nice feature to add to the Kobo firmware whenever there's a live internet connection.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #1079
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I think the new kobos with 2.1.5 firmware are now excellent, possibly even best of breed, text readers. But they still need lots of love with images. The feature I would most like to see in an update is the ability to open images from an epub to zoom in/out and pan/scroll as needed. Kobo also needs better dithering to give the illusion of smooth grayscale on images. The Sony did it since PRS-650, and Amazon added it to 5.1 firmware in Kindle Touch. I think this is now the only area (besides a few pet peeve bugs and what not) that Kobo software is behind.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #1080
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Just switched over from a Kindle Touch and most of my wish list has been mentioned already. But in case anybody at Kobo is reading...

- Smoother highlighting. This has been my one big disappointment. It's so fiddly and hard to get just the right spot highlighted. I had other, lesser devices that did this just fine. It needs to be fixed.

- Google Translate. If you are reading foreign language books with compound verb tesnes, that can be a godsend. Maybe add it as an option in the dictionaries menu? So it would default to the onboard one as now, but then if you go into where you can pick a translation dictionary, there will be a new Google Translate option?

- Ability to pinch and zoom on images. Again, I have had lesser devices that can do this so it should be possible.

- Some kind of archived items or past purchases menu choice. I still have not figured out how to get at my past purchases which I removed from my 'I'm reading' but they are still in my account. Even from my computer, I can't figure it out.

- Some way to flag books which are not in a collection. Maybe there could be an auto-created collection of books which aren't already in one, so that you can then move them?

So far I like the Kobo Glo a lot. These are all little nitpicks. The highlighting is the only big issue for me. But these other things are little details which would make it that much better.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote