Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2009 Book Club Vote
My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse 31 36.90%
Topper by Thorne Smith 11 13.10%
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of The Dog) by Jerome K Jerome 37 44.05%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 3 3.57%
The Silence of Colonel Bramble by by André Maurois 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #31
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
acemccloudxx, the reason "Three Men in a Boat" has such resonance for SF fans, and the reason Connie Willis read it in the first place, is because Heinlein mentions it several times in his novel "Have Space Suit, Will Travel."

Come to think of it, it's the reason I read it in the first place, myself.

I challenge you to read the first chapter. If you haven't laughed out loud at least twice, then give it a rest.

I bet you will, though.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did see the movie version of Topper and I did have a good laugh with it. It's a shame it's not going to win. Three men in a boat is not as funny as a banker and two ghosts.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #33
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did see the movie version of Topper and I did have a good laugh with it. It's a shame it's not going to win. Three men in a boat is not as funny as a banker and two ghosts.
But the fact that it has been nominated and discussed means that I'm going to read it anyway, and I would never have heard of it otherwise. So I'd say it's worth having it in the poll even if it's not going to win.

(And it's available from MobileRead, so I know it's going to be a well formatted book!)
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #34
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Three ghost -- don't forget their St. Bernard who likes getting drunk. But yeah, way funnier than some guys in a boat.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Three ghost -- don't forget their St. Bernard who likes getting drunk. But yeah, way funnier than some guys in a boat.
The St. Bernard wasn't in the movie. It was in the TV series based on the movie which was based on the book.
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
OK, so you have read both books in order to be able to say this, right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i have actually seen the film topper (more than once) and also read the book topper *and* read the book "three men in a boat" (multiple times). they are all good. i do think i prefer Three men to topper (the film). i've not seen the television series, and there is no dog in the film (or the book). the most recent time i read Three men in a boat, i had to give up on reading it on the métro, because i was getting too embarrassed about giggling out loud all by myself. it is hilarious.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's a known fact that dead people are funnier then people in a boat.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is this Wikiality?

BOb
Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #40
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Perhaps someone who knows this book can answer the question. Why is Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man indexed under Carp in the MobileRead library? Took me a long time find out that we had copies of the book uploaded here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Perhaps someone who knows this book can answer the question. Why is Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man indexed under Carp in the MobileRead library? Took me a long time find out that we had copies of the book uploaded here.
I wondered the same thing. I guess an autobiography of Carp would be written by Carp.

BOb
Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yeah, well, you go read both books, and then let me know what you think.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
acemccloudxx, the reason "Three Men in a Boat" has such resonance for SF fans, and the reason Connie Willis read it in the first place, is because Heinlein mentions it several times in his novel "Have Space Suit, Will Travel."

Come to think of it, it's the reason I read it in the first place, myself.

I challenge you to read the first chapter. If you haven't laughed out loud at least twice, then give it a rest.

I bet you will, though.
hm, perhaps i should read "Have Space Suit" because i love Three men in a boat so much.

i agree about the challenge. i suspect anyone who doesn't laugh out loud reading three men in a boat is actually dead. or at least unconscious.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #44
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I've always loved "Silences of Colonel Bramble" --not only true & human accounting of one side of WWI but also very funny... SO I voted for it (I also love TMIAB...)
BTW (actually he was killed in the first months of said war) could you enter Saki's short stories in this vote, some other time???
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #45
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I just do a search for 'Carp'.

It only returns a few hits, unless you type it wrong - in which case you get approximately half a million.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote