Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
JohnRJohnson
JohnRJohnson began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
Fixed Layout EPUB File Size TOO BIG!

I've been working on a 5-page EPUB portfolio piece for the last two weeks while learning INDESIGN in an online tutorial. Frustrating, since there's no one I can go to when I encounter problems not covered in the tutorials. Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to reduce the file size of this fixed layout EPUB. Currently, it's more than 70MB. There are slides shows on each page, and the total number of images is fairly high -- nearly 50, not including the smaller cropped images that I'm using for the navigation buttons. All of the images except one are JPEGs. While they are 300 dpi, they're reduced to a physical size that is very close the size they're used in the INDD file. Even if I export to EPUB with the image options set at 72 dpi and medium quality, the EPUB that is generated is still HUGE. What am I missing here? Or is this how large EPUB have to be? I am fresh meat for this application.
JohnRJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Images are bound to take up a lot of space.

Have you tried examining the book using calibre editor or Sigil? Either would allow you to view the actual files and see how much space each takes up.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you have a Windows machine, also check out ePUB Optimizer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you have a Windows machine, also check out ePUB Optimizer.
It also works on Linux and OSX (check the prereqs!)
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
JohnRJohnson

I'm on a Mac Pro. Is there an optimizer for that?
Advert
Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
JohnRJohnson

I downloaded the EPUBOptimizer from your other comment. It put an msi file on my desktop which I cannot open.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
JohnRJohnson

I'm downloading Calibre now. Have no idea how to use it. All I need to do is figure out how to shrink the file size on this fixed layout EPUB.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
JohnRJohnson

Well, this has been disturbing. I just opened Calibre and checked for "bugs" in my fixed layout EPUB. The resulting list is long. Apparently, there are many "CSS: Property: Unknown Property name. [1;65: -webkit-transform-origin] problems. When I click on the first one, the editor displays the XHTML file and highlights the problem area:

<div style="width:1520px;height:480px;position:absolute ;top:4.14px;left:0px;-webkit-transform-origin: 0% 0%; -webkit-transform: rotate(0deg) scale(0.05);transform-origin: 0% 0%; transform: rotate(0deg) scale(0.05);">

This is disconcerting from someone who has never written code and doesn't know much about HTML. I have no idea how identify or fix this problem.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This might help: EPub_Tutorial
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRJohnson View Post
I downloaded the EPUBOptimizer from your other comment. It put an msi file on my desktop which I cannot open.
You can also download the ePUBOptimizer plugin for Sigil. That also contains the same version of the ePUBOptimizer, but instead of an installer, it is a zip file.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
JohnRJohnson

I downloaded the Sigil ePUBOptimizer and it put a file on my desktop that was full of code with no instructions on how to install it.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

That is because if you have Sigil you can install the plugin via Sigil. That will not work for you, since Sigil will not open your ePUB correctly probably. Sigil is an ePUB2 editor.

Anyway, open the ePUBOptimizer folder. You can try (I do not know if it will work on OSX) to drop the ePUB just on the ePUBOptimizer.exe program. If that does not work (perhaps drag&drop works differently on OSX), you need to start the program via the console. There is no GUI. Just go to the correct folder in the console and start the program like this: ePUBOptimizer <epub>

Be aware that mono needs to be installed!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRJohnson View Post
I downloaded the Sigil ePUBOptimizer and it put a file on my desktop that was full of code with no instructions on how to install it.
OK:

I'm sorry, but you are seriously trying to learn to downhill ski before you can walk. Learning INDD is one thing--and it has a fairly steep learning curve--but deciding that you're going to learn INDD, AND learn how to make a FF ePUB at the same time--the hardest format there is to do correctly and well--is just madness.

First, stop with the FF file. Learn some basics about INDD. Then, learn to make a SIMPLE ePUB file. Do this by buying and reading Liz Castro's "ePUB:Straight to the Point," which focuses on precisely what you're doing: INDD and ePUB. There are also perfectly excellent tutorials on Lynda.com. Not free, but not back-breaking, either.

Start with a simple fiction or fiction-like book/ePUB. You will--this isn't optional--need to learn how to write some code, understand some HTML/CSS--if you are going to work on ePUB files. While INDD has come a long way, we still have to do quite a lot of tweaking to get an ePUB file from the output end of the process. You do that tweaking in either an editor like Sigil (or Calibre's ePUB editor), or an HTML editor.

After you've learned to make simple books, you can work up to making FF. FF has other requirements--that you have to learn how to make things not move around, unlike a regular ePUB--without using commands that can't be used in ePUB (like, setting absolute vertical- or horizontal-alignment).

The idea of a "slideshow" on each page--I can only assume that this is for the iPad, as no slideshow will work on any other device. You should learn to make ePUBS that will work on the vast majority of devices, rather than one only, at least, to get started. While I realize that this doesn't apply to you, based upon your description, there are a highly unfortunate number of folks out there learning to "make ePUBs" using the fairly dreadful iAuthor program, creating junk code left and right. As you are at the learning stage, using a professional-quality program like INDD, you have the opportunity to learn how to do it correctly. There are also some freebie YT tutorials you may find useful.

I hope this helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #14
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I see that the basic Castro book ($13.49 OMG!) is dated 2010. Is that what you recommend?

There's also a mini-guide From InDesign CS 5.5 to EPUB and Kindle @ $9.99 dated 2011, which does not seem much more current.

I often see plaints from InDesign users on the KDP forums and would love to have more helpful advice for them than to tell them to stop using it!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I see that the basic Castro book ($13.49 OMG!) is dated 2010. Is that what you recommend?

There's also a mini-guide From InDesign CS 5.5 to EPUB and Kindle @ $9.99 dated 2011, which does not seem much more current.

I often see plaints from InDesign users on the KDP forums and would love to have more helpful advice for them than to tell them to stop using it!
Yes, for those folks who want to learn INDD-->EPUB. It's somewhat dated, and some of the styling tips/tricks are not needed now, BUT, in terms of fundamentals (as in, "what's an OPF?"), it's very good. I recommend it along with her updated guide.

As far as INDD goes, yes, I've seen your comments, and I've replied a few times. We use INDD inhouse, ourselves. I would not use it for any title that isn't going to be made into print--that's crazy talk, in my opinion. But for any book that's going to be both, yes. You can learn to be adequately disciplined, and careful, in the use and deployment of INDD, so as to have nominal "fixing" of the auto-generated ePUB at the end of the print process. It's not perfect--far from it--but it's better than doing the layout twice, effectively.

This poor guy, with the portfolio--he's apparently (I saw this after I posted my response) is simply trying to send out what is effectively a resume. He's not planning on using this on an ongoing basis. Trying to do 5 pages of "fixed-format," from INDD, as your first eBook project, with ~70MB of images...man. I wouldn't wish that on someone.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, exporting, file size, fixed layout