Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #676
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
preferences>plugins>get new plugin>Kobo Touch extended
But be sure to go to the plugins sub-forum of the calibre forum here and read the instructions.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #677
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I guess the screen shots in that article were all of the kepub type of epub.
If so, I don't see any real problem with the format displayed by them.

I wish the same thing could be posted (somewhere) showing how sideloaded
epubs look and perhaps we could have a contest to establish the best tweak
parameters, with screen photos to show the results.

Having almost 10,000 ebook files to sideload, I am really interested in a good
way to produce readable ebooks on my newest toy (when it gets here). That
they look fine in Kobo's proprietary format, is both encouraging and very
annoying. If they are deliberately making it so that standard epubs display
poorly, to make their format preferred by Aura HD users, I will be very upset.

Luck;
Ken
Just curious, but uh... why do you have 10,000 ebooks? Even if you read one book per day, it would take about 28 years to read all of those books.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #678
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
One would be for that desert island, contingency.

Another might be in case of an extended incapacitation.

But it is probably - Options, I really like having them.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #679
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
How are you going to charge the magic reader on the desert island?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #680
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
How are you going to charge the magic reader on the desert island?
Solar power with a backup windmill
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #681
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
That's what I suspected! Variety is the spice of life!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #682
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I for one am glad I don't have 10,000 books. I wouldn't know where to start! I'm struggling with my backlog of about 80.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #683
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't help but say DUH of course it does, the same way Kobo always has. The two types of books go through different rendering engines; side loaded use the Adobe based engine, direct the ACCESS based engine.
As I said in the review I come from a background of mainly using a Kindle (since the Kindle 2 came out). Therefore I thought it worth mentioning for folks like me who are getting into a Kobo device for the first time since Kindle & Nook don't do anything like this. It wasn't a duh moment for me until a day or two before my Aura arrived when it was being posted about in a few of these threads. Many of the readers at Dear Author aren't at the level that many who hang out at places like MobileRead are.

Quote:
I guess the screen shots in that article were all of the kepub type of epub.
If so, I don't see any real problem with the format displayed by them.

I wish the same thing could be posted (somewhere) showing how sideloaded
epubs look and perhaps we could have a contest to establish the best tweak
parameters, with screen photos to show the results.
There is a pic of each type posted side by side. I've attached the photo from the review below (left = ePub, right = kePub).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aura4.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	105106  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #684
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

There is a pic of each type posted side by side. I've attached the photo from the review below (left = ePub, right = kePub).
I'd like to see a pic of the same book in the different formats. The formatting of the book on the left might be the way it was intended to look.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #685
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'd like to see a pic of the same book in the different formats. The formatting of the book on the left might be the way it was intended to look.
Here you go. Best I can do with quick cell phone pics and crappy lighting.

Same book. ePub (as is from Kobo, not messed with) and kePub downloaded directly to the device. Both are perfectly readable, although a quick flip through part of the ePub shows it'll need to be tweaked for widows & orphans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	combo.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	735.3 KB
ID:	105122  

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-29-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #686
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, my Aura HD just got here. I have it pluged in to give it a charge.

It looks like they want me to go to a setup site and download "Kobo Desktop", what do
I need that for?

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #687
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
It looks like they want me to go to a setup site and download "Kobo Desktop", what do
I need that for?
You can use it to download/sync kePub's from Kobo and also for firmware updates. I'm not sure what else as I skipped that and didn't install it.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #688
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can use it to download/sync kePub's from Kobo and also for firmware updates. I'm not sure what else as I skipped that and didn't install it.
Sounds like we are on the same wavelength, what else did you do to get
ebooks into the device? Straight from calibre? Can you just put epubs in
a folder on the device?

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #689
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Sounds like we are on the same wavelength, what else did you do to get
ebooks into the device? Straight from calibre?
I didn't download the desktop software either, and I've been sideloading directly through calibre. I did install the KoboTouchExtended plugin in calibre as was advised by many in this thread, and disabled the default Kobo plugins.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #690
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Thanks, I will certainly give that a try.

I'm having a problem getting it to recognize my micro SD chip.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-29-2013 at 06:07 PM.