Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
readman
Banned
readman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy images are cut off during mobi to PDF conversion

Hello, I bought a Kindle book because it was the only way to get that out of print book, but I don't like portable formats so I'm trying to convert it to PDF with Calibre - which I'm not familiar with.
Ideally the PDF should resemble common PDF books with a lot of text on each page and have about the same number of pages as the print version (570).
I set a size for the key font, activated heuristic process, A4 paper and portrait orientation. I'm getting a somewhat good result (488 pages or so) except that most pictures are cut off on the right, possibly because they are too big.

What can I do to improve the result ?

P.S. I can send the .mobi in private to whoever wants to help me
readman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a bug in calibre's PDF output that will be fixed in the next release. You can work around it by converting the mobi to epub with the output profile set to something that has a screen size significantly smaller than A4 and then converting the resulting epub back to pdf with your output profile reset back to default. The first step automnatically resizes images to fit onto the smaller screen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
readman
Banned
readman began at the beginning.

Device: none
I see, can you tell me which profile might be small enough ? most don't have the size mentioned.
EDIT: Mobipocket seems fine.

Last edited by readman; 06-30-2012 at 09:22 AM.
readman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, pictures