Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
NJReader
Edge User

Android Market and GMail Account...

Is it really neccessary/worth it to open a GMail account to register your eDGe, in order to facilitate downloading and using APPs from the Android Market store?

There are a few APPs I would like to get for my eDGe that are not yet in the enTourage APP Store.
I do not own a Droid phone and I consider myself a novice when it come to utilizing APPs. I have yet to decide if I am going to use the Andoid Emulator method to download new APPs, or just wait hoping enTourage will get Market access.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
OncTech
Edge User

You do not need a gmail account to install apps that are not in the enTourage App store unless the app itself requires it for some reason. All you need is the APK file to install an app, and the emulator method is merely a indirect way of getting APKs for free non-copy-protected apps that are not available outside of the market.

I'd really like direct market access too, but my understanding is it's google's fault.

Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
NJReader
Edge User

Thanks,

I have just noticed on several threads in this forum, users with a GMail account were able to get certain APPs/functions to work only when they were using the same GMail account they registered their eDGe with.

Basically, what would happen if I used the eDGe web browser to go to the Android Market and attempted to download one or more Free APPs?
Would they download? Would they install and run?

The information I have gotten from reading this forum has me confused on this issue.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Snow
Edge User

NJReader,

If you're talking about http://www.android.com/market/ then I do not believe you can download the apps from that site. Getting the market on the eDGe would mean that the eDGe had the "market" app

Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
NJReader
Edge User

Yes, Snow. That is the site I mean.

You need an App to use the website that has the Apps? Rats...

Last edited by NJReader; 08-23-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Snow
Edge User

The app does not use the website. The website (I believe) is just a means to display what's currently on the market.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

NJReader, what apps require a Gmail account? I wonder if you're confusing the need to register your eDGe using the same email address you use for your Adobe ID (for digital rights management) with needing one Gmail account? You don't have to have a Gmail account for that. It can be any email address. Just use the one for both.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
ChrisF
Edge User

Quote:
I have yet to decide if I am going to use the Andoid Emulator method to download new APPs
On any android device with Market access you must register the device to a google account which is usually the same as your gmail account. This registration process takes place within the actual Market app though.

Whatever email address you used to register the eDGe will not matter because you registered with Entourage Systems and not Google. Unfortunately Google does not currently support Market access on non-smart phone devices and tablets such as the eDGe.

If you decide to try the emulator there is a very nice write-up on it in this forum http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...droid-Emulator. Best of luck.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
On any android device with Market access you must register the device to a google account which is usually the same as your gmail account.
Not having a device with market access, I didn't know this. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
NJReader
Edge User

Thank you all for your help.