Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #46
HazeyJane
HazeyJane began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
I've just made my first ebook purchase using Kobo. I paid less than £6 for a newly published book, which Waterstones were charging over £18 for. I never realised ebooks could be so expensive, having only acquired books from naughty Auntie Torrence before now.

I do have a couple of questions, being new to the whole buying books thing, why isn't the Sony store available in the UK and are ebooks from Amazon only compatible with Kindle?
HazeyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #47
java24
java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Yes kindle books can only be used on a kindle, but if you search the net u can find out how to get them on your Sony.
java24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #48
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Sony store supplies books in the US, Waterstones in the UK... all down to publishing agreements... same reason books have US editions and UK editions (or Canadian, Australian etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeyJane View Post
I do have a couple of questions, being new to the whole buying books thing, why isn't the Sony store available in the UK and are ebooks from Amazon only compatible with Kindle?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #49
Mekk
Mekk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600
Post (not only) programming books

I bought and read on my Sony PRS-600 books from:

1) http://oreilly.com/ (plenty of software-development and computer related books)

Books are DRM-free, available (all formats for single price) as .epub, .pdf, .mobi and more (I used .epub on my sony and .pdf to print selected parts from PC). Note: they have nice "ebook of the day" initiative

2) http://rosenfeldmedia.com (small but interesting choice of usability-related books)

DRM-free, .epub and .pdf (all formats for single price)

3) http://www.packtpub.com/ (software-development, mostly open-source related)

DRM-free, .pdf (with my name and address in the footer on every page) and .epub (seemingly without such a thing). Both formats for single price but .epubs are not available immediately, at least not for fresh books.

4) http://www.orbooks.com/ (small publisher, social, political, ...)

DRM-free, .epub, .pdf, .mobi, .prc

5) http://www.sitepoint.com (mostly web design)

I bought a few (non-DRM) .pdfs from them (didn't work very well on reader due to difficulties while reflowing code samples), now I see they also offer .epub (which I haven't tested yet)

let me also add:

6) http://pragprog.com/ (software development)

DRM-free .epub, .pdf and .mobi. I haven't bought from them yet so haven't tested, but I don't expect problems.
Mekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #50
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Thanks Mekk, that is a great list. I haven't purchased form O'Reilly because I have access to Safari, but it reading on the computer is kind of a pain. Of course, reading reference books on an eBook reader is a pain too, so I never shelled out the money for other books, but I will keep the option in mind for books that are very good. The other ones I didn't know about at all.

Cheers,
llr
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #51
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Thanks guys
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #52
ArcAngel
ArcAngel began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader 600
half.com my university book store uses them and other suppliers
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #53
ILikeBooks
ILikeBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Name: Lazy Day Books
Site: http://www.lazydaybooks.com
Price: Varies
Genre: Various
Number: 200,000+
Format: EPUB
Notes: Features reading for entertainment, but has all subjects available to search
ILikeBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #54
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Are they DRM infected?

Very limited choice of Fantasy.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #55
ILikeBooks
ILikeBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
They are Adobe DRM and the category listings are ever-growing. You can also use the search box if you're looking for a particular ebook.
ILikeBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #56
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBooks View Post
They are Adobe DRM and the category listings are ever-growing. You can also use the search box if you're looking for a particular ebook.
No. Thank you very much.
DRM is not for me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #57
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
I've had a surge in downloads for one of my non-promoted free ebooks from the Sony store. There's nothing in the forums or Google that would suggest a cause. It puzzles me. Wish I knew the trick.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #58
bybee14
bybee14 began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
I have got a sony ereader PRS 600 bought from US. I am unable to downloads books from sony reader stores as it keep asking for US credit cards and mailing address. Is there any other ways i can buys books on ereader. Please suggest good e books sites thats supported by sony ereader, where we can get the latest books.
bybee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #59
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Where are you located bybee14? I'm guessing any online book store in your country or region sells ePub books as well.
Don't forget to see if you've got a library where you can borrow books online.
As for the US Sony store, I can shop there with one of my credit cards. It's Swedish, but I have used a US friend's address when registering on Sony, and it works for me.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's question's like these why we need to know where people live. We cannot give proper information if we don't know what information is relevant.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote