Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #31
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I'm confused. Why is an SD card required? Does the original Kobo not update the firmware when you connect to the desktop app like the Kobo-WiFi?
It will. Some people had bad experiences with the "normal" upgrade process in the early days and prefer the SD card approach which resets the kobo back to factory fresh.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Only problem I can see is that the desktop application still syncs ALL books even when I purchased just one...takes forever to sync with the number of books I have.
Jim, that has not been my experience with the new desktop. When you did the update, it wiped everything off of your reader, so a complete sync had to happen. From that point on, a sync should only load new content and reflect changed bookmarks. That is how it is working for me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #33
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Jim, that has not been my experience with the new desktop. When you did the update, it wiped everything off of your reader, so a complete sync had to happen. From that point on, a sync should only load new content and reflect changed bookmarks. That is how it is working for me.
Thanks Taming. Once I did a reset to fix an ADE issue and reloaded all the books, that problem disappeared. Everything seems fine now. By the way, thanks for all the work you (the Beta testers) and Kobo did to get this version out.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #34
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the beta testers are done for the night--not so sure about the Kobo staff. It takes awhile to set up the roll out after it was stopped, so you may not see it tonight. Blessings on Jordan, Corby, and the rest of the Kobo crew who figured all of this out. They have worked like dogs and kept their composure and good spirits through it all.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #35
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
I think the beta testers are done for the night--not so sure about the Kobo staff. It takes awhile to set up the roll out after it was stopped, so you may not see it tonight. Blessings on Jordan, Corby, and the rest of the Kobo crew who figured all of this out. They have worked like dogs and kept their composure and good spirits through it all.
I second the thanks to Kobo Taming! This thing is humming like a top right now (and no, they didn't add audio). Everything seems to be working just the way it should be.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #36
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
So is it possible to do the update (when it reappears) WITHOUT having to sync with the Kobo desktop? I don't use the Kobo desktop (and quite frankly don't ever want to!) but was considering a one off connection to get the upgrade.
If it's not possible to upgrade without syncing then would I need to wait to use the SD card option?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #37
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
If none of that makes sense, the instructions may scar you ;-)
That sounds serious. Is that when you print them out and cut yourself on the paper? ;-)

It will be interesting to see when Whitcoulls get around to releasing the update in New Zealand. Hopefully, not too long.

Thanks to Kobo and the beta testers for their efforts.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #38
andyberry
andyberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hey all,
I had the same experience as plaid after updating and lost access to my side-loaded (via Calibre) books. Rather than jump straight to a factory reset, I puddled around deleting the db and hoping that would fix things; it didn't.
Ended up doing a factory reset and reloading a book to get me through the night.

As far as features: Option to Keep Reading or manage your library when plugged into USB is very nice.
Covers during sleep and power off are back, option to auto-power off (or let it stay in sleep mode) are also here.
Resume from sleep mode is quite quick.
Page turns *may* be a wee bit faster, but it could also be a placebo effect Certainly not as fast as what you see on Wifi version (but the Original has a slower CPU, so to be expected).
This is all I've noticed so far. Looking forward to checking out the html document type to see if that truly works.
All in all, a good update.
andyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #39
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It makes sense that the sideloaded books would not have access. It was a huge change in the way the Db works. I'd be tempted to do a factory reset or remove the books from the file system before doing the update and just deal with having to reload the books.

When you update from an SD card it replaces the entire kaboodle. Nothing, nada, zilch left on the device from the old setup. When I did update after update in beta, I decided that some of my books that had been in main memory (actually most of them) could very nicely live on an sd card.

Try to reframe it as a chance to do a big housecleaning!

Last edited by taming; 12-14-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
So is it possible to do the update (when it reappears) WITHOUT having to sync with the Kobo desktop?
I honestly don't know if the sync part happens as part of the update or not, Harley. I know that when we did our update from an SD card, sync was separate, but then, we had to install the new desktop as a separate action. If you never use the desktop application, you could remove all of your books from I'm Reading on the kobobooks website before doing the update. There would be nothing then to sync.

If you ever change your mind--perhaps because you find yourself using a mobile device in addition to your reader and want them to sync--you can add the books back into I'm Reading and the desktop application just by bookmarking them from your purchased list and then in the application doing an "update library".

Last edited by taming; 12-14-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #41
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for all that information taming - you have been incredibly helpful.

For some reason I am always PARANOID when I remove books from the I'm Reading section. I know they are still there in Purchased section but I still worry that they will disappear. Considering I have everything in ADE and don't use the desktop app I really don't know why it bothers me but it does. Taking ALL my books out for the upgrade will really mess with my mind. Guess I'll just have to be brave!

Right now I have 2 books that I am hiding from my husband until Christmas. I had to buy them at a time when I knew he was at work and then quickly download the ePubs for a double back up and then remove them from the I'm Reading section before he could see them. Late on Christmas Eve I will put them back and then they can download onto his iPad for the next morning.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #42
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You can put them back right after you do the update, if that will make you feel better, you just remove them from the trash--they stay there for 30 days.

There is also a new option to remove books directly from the Kobo reader. When you are in "books", look at the menu. Delete book is one of the choices now. This doesn't btw, remove the files you may have loaded via Calibre--just the Db connection, so for removing Calibre books, your best option is still to do that from within Calibre.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #43
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I'm curious, at 6:47 yesterday evening JCKobo said the update rollout had been stopped, and that he'd post when it started up again. At 9:30 yesterday my kobo desktop offered the upgrade and then after it offered the firmware. Was the rollout restarted or do I have the version with the bug they found? What was the bug?
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #44
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyberry View Post

As far as features: Option to Keep Reading or manage your library when plugged into USB is very nice.
Covers during sleep and power off are back,
Am I missing something? Mine has done both these things since I bought it...

Also, the "Delete" feature is on mine as well.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #45
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
Am I missing something? Mine has done both these things since I bought it...

Also, the "Delete" feature is on mine as well.
You must have the WiFi Kobo. We O-K users didn't have these.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote