Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Travel/Adventure book willwe read in March?
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 20 48.78%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 21 51.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way I look at it, when you have a vote such as this one where it's close most of the way, a vote should not be placed unless the voter is going to be reading the winning book and participating in the discussion thread. All you are doing if you don't is screwing others who voted for the other book.
The way I look at it, is that someone who is one of the nominators of a book should be prepared to read it and contribute if it wins. If you won't read it, don't nominate it or second or third it. Talk about screwing others, namely those who nominate books they really do want to read!

And that someone who voted for a book in the first round should be pleased if it wins, even if he would have preferred another book. Especially since if it had won in the first round, he'd have had no cause for complaint. Oh, but where's the fun in that?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Tom and fantasyfan have done all the heavy lifting in regard to translations. Thank you!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
HarryT did the really heavy lifting.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The way I look at it, is that someone who is one of the nominators of a book should be prepared to read it and contribute if it wins. If you won't read it, don't nominate it or second or third it. Talk about screwing others, namely those who nominate books they really do want to read!

And that someone who voted for a book in the first round should be pleased if it wins, even if he would have preferred another book. Especially since if it had won in the first round, he'd have had no cause for complaint. Oh, but where's the fun in that?
If a book I had voted for in round one won the vote, then I should read it. But in round one, I voted for both books that ended up in the run off vote. So given that I had voted for both in round one, and given that there can only be one winner, I voted for the book I wanted to read more then the other in the run-off vote.

So if I decide not to read the winning book, that's not a problem because I did not vote for it in the run-off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #65
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Absolutely!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #66
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
That is excellent news! Thus, unless they really want the older version, there's no need for anyone to read it, as a good modern version is right here in Mobile Read.

I mentioned this in the first voting thread. It's why I happily voted for Verne the second time around as well.

With all the talk about the Ron Miller translation I thought I'd look into it as I would have felt bad nominating and voting for a translation that was widely considered awful. But I figured - as the Ron Miller translation isn't here and isn't actually claiming to be better than more modern translations of the original, I couldn't see any particular reason to wait for it. There's no actual guarantee it will be better than what's currently available anyway.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with this result as this was on my reading list for this year.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yep and then he got a heavy filled bookcase dropped on him over the holidays (winter contest). I wonder of Dreams umbrellas are insured against damage.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #68
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So where is the March discussion thread for "20000 Leagues Under the Seas?"
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #69
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So where is the March discussion thread for "20000 Leagues Under the Seas?"
It'll come around the 20th. The vote just ended so folks need a chance to read it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It'll come around the 20th. The vote just ended so folks need a chance to read it.
Ah ok. Just wondering. I haven't done much in the book club threads in the past.