Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Ballaterboy
Ballaterboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
New Computer

My Old desktop is where my Calibre Library has always been. Win7 On its way out so now have a new laptop Win10

Old Calibre Library was in C:User/User folder Copied and transferred it to C: Documents on new laptop That is where the newly loaded calibre wanted to store it.

Initially Calibre didn't pick up my libraries (I have a few) So I ran Library Maintenance, / Restore Database

However it has still lumped what books it has into one Library and not cataloged into alll the libraries I had originally set up Also there are a number of books and libraries that it hasent copied at all .. Presumable there are conflicts in the setup Dont know what to do now.

Is there a file or files that I haven't or should have copied over from the old desktop?

Will need simple instructions as I am not computer technically minded Thank you

Last edited by Ballaterboy; 12-09-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Ballaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why-o-Why do people not start with the FAQ before hand? It is pretty painless, (I did the W10 upgrade and calibre came right up)

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Ballaterboy

faQs

Thank you for your unhelpful reply and of course the sarcasm. I did actually read the FAQS first which I followed explicitly. In fact twice. The result is what I described in my original post
Old 12-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Frustration, not sarcasm . New computer is in the top 20 new thread questions
The first thing I do with new SW is read the FAQ
The Second thing is explore all menus and read the tooltips (and hope I remember the high points)

If you copy the Library folders over INTACT, they are good
If you copy the configuration folder INTACT,all your plugins will be there and user settings

All that is left is to relink each of the Libraries
Library icon: Create-Switch: Use Existing: <select the folder>,
repeat for each

You can keep your libraries anyplace (local drive) that you have FULL rights.

The default place is for a simple install
Old 12-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballaterboy View Post
Initially Calibre didn't pick up my libraries (I have a few) So I ran Library Maintenance, / Restore Database

However it has still lumped what books it has into one Library and not cataloged into alll the libraries I had originally set up Also there are a number of books and libraries that it hasent copied at all .. Presumable there are conflicts in the setup Dont know what to do now.
Clearly you didn't read the part of the FAQ that theducks linked, or you would know that calibre doesn't "pick up" the libraries, you have to add them from the:
Library --> Switch/Create Library
dialog.

And instead you ran Restore Database, the purpose of which is to rebuild the root per-library metadata.db file, which is completely orthogonal to your purposes.

So... to recap the FAQ:

On your old computer, you should have had one or more folders named with the name of your library/libraries.
Each one contains a bunch of folders for the various authors of books in the library, plus a metadata.db file and a metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file.

Each of those library folders must be copied vebatim to a new folder on the new computer (do not touch the contents unless you know what you're doing. If you don't know whether that applies to you, you don't know what you're doing).
Yes, people have copied only parts of their library before, and then were surprised when it didn't work.
Do not, under any circumstances, merge the folder with another folder, especially if you think you will be clever and merge it with the new "Calibre Library" folder on the new computer. Yes, people have done that before, too... and the "it didn't work" factor from above increased, not geometrically, but exponentially.

Add each of those libraries using the Switch/Create Library dialog.

If these instructions didn't work, it is because you didn't follow them correctly. If you find yourself needing to run database maintenance tasks, it is because you didn't follow the directions correctly (or your library was broken when you were still using the old computer).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Ballaterboy

I have deleted calibrate on the new laptop.

Re copied the Calibre Library from old computer ( where it works fine). Loaded this into new laptop.

As directed in the FAQs. ( as before) relationship added Calibre latest version to new computer and completed the wizard by pointing it to the above said Calibre Library.

As before there is no library structure. All that is there is a couple of my libraries and a number of books that presumable came with the reload of latest Calibre. What libraries of mine that are there, and there's only a very small number, are mixed in with everything else in a single library. None of my original preferences or structure.

Running a "restoring database " at the moment but expect it won't achieve anything. It hasn't before.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you mean, "a couple of my libraries"? You just said you only copied ONE library.
No books come with calibre (except for one copy of the Quick Start guide.)

What structure are you not seeing, and why did you expect to see it?
Do note that preferences are NOT stored in the library, if you want to copy over the preferences you will need to take a look at this FAQ entry: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....backup-calibre
And copy over the %AppData%\calibre folder to the new computer.

I do not understand what you are seeing, because you are being confusing in the way you describe it -- and that makes it hard for me to help you.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Ballaterboy - could you post the precise locations of your libraries as they are on the old computer - screen shot(s) from Windows Explorer would be best.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Ballaterboy

Thanks everybody. Sorry to be a pain in the ass. Think I've cracked it. Got all my preferences over. It was the config that I didn't copy. Got all I want now. Just going through the authors individually using Switch Create and sorting it. Thanks for your patience
Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks everybody. Sorry to be a pain in the ass. Think I've cracked it. Got all my preferences over. It was the config that I didn't copy. Got all I want now. Just going through the authors individually using Switch Create and sorting it. Thanks for your patience
switch Create is ONCE per Library folder (many have just one Library. I have 4)
/Calibre Library <the default start but you never need use this
/Lib1
/Lib2
/Lib3

NEVER Mix Library contents using the OS. If you have, you now have a MESS

You can move them with the Copy (selected books) to Library context menu
Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
Ballaterboy

Success

Thanks. All fine now. Got it back to where it was. Wasn't that I didn't read the FAQs in fact I did several times. It was how I interpreted it. Your explanation cleared that up. Somehow missed the significance of the configuration folder.

Never mind all a learning curve.

Thanks again
Old 12-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Do note that preferences are NOT stored in the library, if you want to copy over the preferences you will need to take a look at this FAQ entry: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....backup-calibre
And copy over the %AppData%\calibre folder to the new computer.
Quote:
Thanks. All fine now. Got it back to where it was. Wasn't that I didn't read the FAQs in fact I did several times. It was how I interpreted it. Your explanation cleared that up. Somehow missed the significance of the configuration folder.
The calibre manual needs a FAQ for - "Moving your calibre libraries and configuration to a new computer"

BR
Old 12-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Very possibly.
I am not sure why it was split up.

It also helps when we know that the OP wants to copy over settings in addition to the library that way we can refer to the other section of the FAQ regardless.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Very possibly.
I am not sure why it was split up.
Were the two FAQs ever together in one FAQ item to be split up. They are in different groups (miscellaneous and library management), and they are fit for purpose - backup, and move a library.

Quote:
It also helps when we know that the OP wants to copy over settings in addition to the library that way we can refer to the other section of the FAQ regardless.
You're assuming the several million calibre users know of the existence and significance of the configuration directory. I suspect 90% of them are blissfully, and quite rightly, unaware of it. I observe Kovid Goyal Inc has a policy that sees them making considerable effort to make that so - perhaps you disagree with KG Inc's policy

For me a primary raison d'être for a FAQ item is that it obviates the need for the user to post anything here; not to tell them half the story so that they are not forced to make 'fools of themselves' by posting here, and suffering the resultant opprobrium.

Obviously a FAQ such as that suggested would need caveats and cautions about moving from one baseline OS/FS configuration to another etc.

BR
Old 12-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Were the two FAQs ever together in one FAQ item to be split up. They are in different groups (miscellaneous and library management), and they are fit for purpose - backup, and move a library.
... by which I meant, written separately...

Quote:
You're assuming the several million calibre users know of the existence and significance of the configuration directory. I suspect 90% of them are blissfully, and quite rightly, unaware of it. I observe Kovid Goyal Inc has a policy that sees them making considerable effort to make that so - perhaps you disagree with KG Inc's policy

For me a primary raison d'être for a FAQ item is that it obviates the need for the user to post anything here; not to tell them half the story so that they are not forced to make 'fools of themselves' by posting here, and suffering the resultant opprobrium.

Obviously a FAQ such as that suggested would need caveats and cautions about moving from one baseline OS/FS configuration to another etc.

BR
Well, I have no problem with a FAQ having as much information as is necessary to accurately describe the situation.

Although I am also happy to explain how, to anyone who posts here. But it does help if they say they want to save their settings. Enough people have asked that that I know it's possible.

I may take a stab at clarifying the FAQ.