Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
adding .sh executables

Wow. What a weekend! I'm bowled over by your progress Scotty and others.

I have made these changes to /mnt/settings/er_registry.txt

1. add ;SHELL to the end of the line that starts uaIDList

2. add these lines under the EBA section:

[SHELL]
category=viewer
arguments=<FILENAME>
exec=/bin/sh
xResourceName=sh
channel=3
extensions=sh

... then reboot.

Once done, you will be able to execute shell scripts, including the network and dropbear startups by clicking on them.

Note that /mnt/settings/er_registry.txt is occasionally overwritten from /etc/er_registry.txt, so you may want to change that too.
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by design256
Once done, you will be able to execute shell scripts, including the network and dropbear startups by clicking on them.
A worthy hack!

Time to find an xterm for the iLiad so I can write a script to start it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Time to find an xterm for the iLiad so I can write a script to start it.
I think the ncurses and rxvt worked in 2.4, they should work now:

http://iliad.mobileread.com/feed/

In theory rxvt has small footprint than xterm. Xterm is a hell to compile in cross environment because you have a lot of options for your ncurses (appropiate name, it has).
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
If you install the native toolchain you no longer need to cross compile.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This is terribly exciting ... way over my head, but exciting!

So let me ask the dumb question: does this mean we're getting close to being able to install & run Linux versions of other reading apps?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
This is terribly exciting ... way over my head, but exciting!

So let me ask the dumb question: does this mean we're getting close to being able to install & run Linux versions of other reading apps?
Pretty near. As of today, we could do a reading app using the pen as input. A different matter is to use the keys in the iLiad; we should need either the library headers of the promised SDK or to build our own headers to the libraries from reverse engineering, ie from using ltrace and gdb on the e-ink applications.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
you are not only close....

But i think what lacks most applications is the support for driving the e-ink panel, especially when it comes to partial updates. And that would mean you have to recompile the app with calls to a library that refreshes the screen.

Have I got that together right?
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
you are not only close....

But i think what lacks most applications is the support for driving the e-ink panel, especially when it comes to partial updates. And that would mean you have to recompile the app with calls to a library that refreshes the screen.

Have I got that together right?
Yes, but if gdb is working we can imagine some headers for the liberdm.so.2 by tracking the calls between scribble and this library. Keryboard is to be more obscure because it seems to go across the iLiad messaging architecture, whatever it is.