Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
geophyrd
geophyrd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Anyone know of a way

to obtain a list of all documents on the Reader/Connect software? I'd like to see a list of my files that I can compare to those on my computer. I've tried copying and pasting, but it doesn't work.
geophyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Connect the 505 to the computer, run eBook Library and on the left hand side where is says Sony Reader, select that and you will see all the content you have on your 505 over in the right window.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
geophyrd
geophyrd began at the beginning.

Sorry, wasn't clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Connect the 505 to the computer, run eBook Library and on the left hand side where is says Sony Reader, select that and you will see all the content you have on your 505 over in the right window.
I'm looking to create an EXCEL or printed list of my files. There has to be a way to export the titles...
geophyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
waden34
waden34 began at the beginning.

In Excel, go to the Data menu, choose Import External Data, then choose Import Data. In the browse dialog navigate to the \database\cache folder on you Reader and select the media.xml file.
This is a messy way of opening the data in Excel, but you can then copy just the Author & Title columns somewhere else to clean it up.
waden34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geophyrd View Post
I'm looking to create an EXCEL or printed list of my files. There has to be a way to export the titles...
Are you asking how to make a copy of the list of books that are on your Sony?

There's a freeware program for Windows, called Printfolder 1.3 at

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

With this installed, you simply right click on ANY folder and you will now see a new option: "PrintFolder". Clicking on this will give you a printable/saveable text list of what's in the folder.

So, you plug your Sony into your computer and navigate to the "books" folder. Right click, click on PrintFolder, and there's your list. You can save it as txt, doc or xls. (In excel - you get 3 columns: Title - size - date).

The program is freeware, and has only limited setup options, but is good enough to give you a list of what's in your Sony.

Except - the books you downloaded from the Sony Store will have their inscrutable alphabet soup instead of a proper title. You can't rename them on the Sony because then it won't find them anymore. You can of course, edit your excel spreadsheet.

There's other programs that do the same job, or better, but PrintFolder is small and easy to use and free.

Last edited by RCR; 02-16-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Copying and manipulating pictures of file lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by geophyrd View Post
to obtain a list of all documents on the Reader/Connect software? I'd like to see a list of my files that I can compare to those on my computer. I've tried copying and pasting, but it doesn't work.
Go to eBook Library - List View. There you can see a complete list of files on your PC and on your Reader.

Then use Screen Shot to capture that list. You can then manipulate, add notes, change colors, expand and contract your lists and then print them.

Screen Shot can be purchased here:

http://www.broderbund.com/shopping/s...ord=screenshot

The Standard Version is $ 30.00 and the Deluxe Version is $ 50.00.

I use the Deluxe Version for all kinds of manipulations of data inside all my other programs and for saving pictures in a variety of ways. One can scan in data, fax out data, etc.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Or you could just use Alt-PrintScreen & IrfanView, or Screenshot Captor for a lot less! :-)

Anyway, the two choices for the OP are to capture a screenshot of the Connect software window, or to view the device directly & use some form of directory lister (even just "dir/b f:/database/media/books > booklist.txt").
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

Agreed on Printfolder. It only exports a copy of the files in a directory (with your choice of filtering) but it does it well. Use it a lot at both work and home. The price is very hard to beat.

I do end up using Treepad instead if I decide to tack information about each file to its name and location. (Review, cover, synopsis, series info, seller.)