Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
ManicDee
ManicDee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo-ising O'Reilly Books

I'd like to build a "recipe" for Kobo-ising O'Reilly books. The basics so far will be:
  • Replace O'Reilly's core.css file with a stripped down version
  • Remove a bunch of headings from the TOC when processing "Cookbook" style books
  • Shrink & rotate images as required to get them to fit into the Kobo screen in portrait aspect

The current ePub to ePub conversion works, but leaves a stylesheet that is far too complex. The Kobo takes tens of seconds to switch between chapters. In addition, all images are simply scaled down to fit: diagrams lose information due to being squeezed to fit landscape-style in the portrait page of the Kobo.

Is this something I should be trying within Calibre, or should I just stick to writing my own stand-alone filter to do the Kobo-isation?
ManicDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I certainly don't know enough to help you, but I also have a problem running ePubs I design on a Kobo - none of the HTML links work, and Kobo 'Help' refuses to help. So if you find out out to make links in 3rd party ePubs work on a Kobo please let us know.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kobo, kobo ereader, kobo reader