Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Signatures used for advertising

I've started to notice more and more signatures that are quite long and/or image-heavy.

I've never liked "space-hogging" signatures on discussion forums, they take up so much unnessecary space and attention, but lately I've seen signatures used for what I can only call advertising. And if it's discreet I guess it's okay, but something like the attachment is far too much in my opinion. It's really annoying and pretty close to being spam.

Unfortunately I don't know who to contact about it or complain to - but it's really bothering me that users don't respect the wish for discrete signatures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underskrisft.png
Views:	538
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	52121  

Last edited by Ea; 05-23-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
That one does seem a bit over the top. If the cover images were little thumbnails it wouldn't be quite so 'in your face'.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How little thumbnails? IMO a signature should not be more than 5-6 lines or the equivalent height in images.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I think I can almost see a boob in the thumbnail. Is it safe to open at work or should I wait until I get home tonight to open it (with my scented candles and heated rose petal oils)?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I think I can almost see a boob in the thumbnail. Is it safe to open at work or should I wait until I get home tonight to open it (with my scented candles and heated rose petal oils)?
My avatar is more "booby" and NEKKID than any of the images in the attachment

I.e. it's too late to worry about if you've opened the thread and seen the topic.

Last edited by Ea; 05-22-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
How little thumbnails? IMO a signature should not be more than 5-6 lines or the equivalent height in images.
I'd say something like 100 pixels maximum height.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
I'd think there should be an outright ban on images in signatures. They clog up the whole page and are obnoxious.

Oh and Ea, your full name is in one of the tabs of the screenshot you posted (at least I assume it is from your username). Just a heads up, if you don't want that information out there. If it isn't your name, ignore this.

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-22-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I thought the same thing about this very signature myself.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
I'd think there should be an outright ban on images in signatures. They clog up the whole page and are obnoxious.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
Oh and Ea, your full name is in one of the tabs of the screenshot you posted (at least I assume it is from your username). Just a heads up, if you don't want that information out there. If it isn't your name, ignore this.
Thanks for the heads-up
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I disable signatures
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't want to disable signatures, because some are worth reading. But I agree with Ea that some are simply way too large. Not only with pictures, but also with text.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #12
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
At this point there aren't sooo many huge signatures. Perhaps we could just talk to the people. I've seen forums, where the sig above would be considered small, so perhaps the author doesn't realize the annoying effect of her signature.

All I'm trying to say is, that before asking for a new restricting rule applying to *everyone* in this forum, it might help politely telling the people in question, that their signatures are disproportional.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Perhaps it's a question of enforcing already existing rules - from the 'Guidelines':

We do not allow advertising of unrelated sites or services in signatures. Signatures should be kept relatively discreet; for example, by setting the font size to “size 1” for longer signatures. Please keep the content of signatures to a reasonable size. ...

... and perhaps make it more specific what "resonable size" is.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
At this point there aren't sooo many huge signatures. Perhaps we could just talk to the people. I've seen forums, where the sig above would be considered small, so perhaps the author doesn't realize the annoying effect of her signature.

All I'm trying to say is, that before asking for a new restricting rule applying to *everyone* in this forum, it might help politely telling the people in question, that their signatures are disproportional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Perhaps it's a question of enforcing already existing rules - from the 'Guidelines':

We do not allow advertising of unrelated sites or services in signatures. Signatures should be kept relatively discreet; for example, by setting the font size to “size 1” for longer signatures. Please keep the content of signatures to a reasonable size. ...

... and perhaps make it more specific what "resonable size" is.
both of you have the right idea. we do request that signatures be kept "discreet" and while book covers are "related" to the topic of this forum and therefore acceptable, we also request that they be kept to a reasonable size (also, and perhaps more importantly, we request that they be hosted on our own servers and not linked from an outside site, to avoid slowing down site performance for everyone).

since "discreet" and "reasonable size" are subjective, it happens that someone may have an image which seems excessively large. if that happens, you may either notify the moderation team using the "report post" button and if necessary we'll ask the user to reduce the size of the image (which has already been done in this particular case, by the way, and the images are now smaller), or you can simply politely point out our guidelines to the member yourselves and ask them nicely if they could reduce the image a bit.

as lcf says, we don't want to make too many restricting rules since overall our members are reasonable adults and we prefer to resolve any small problems with a bit of friendly discussion, whenever possible. this seems like a situation where a bit of latitude is reasonable.

thanks for your feedback on this topic. i just wanted to let you know we are paying attention and do intervene when necessary in cases like this, but we have to know about them first, so don't hesitate to send us a message.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-23-2010 at 08:31 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I'm pretty certain the moderators read this, but you can always use the little blue exclamation mark next to the Karma on a post that you have a problem with (in this case excessive signature) to send a note to the moderators (the ones whose usernames are green).

The only thing I'll say (and I must admit that the example you posted does seem to be pushing boundaries somewhat) is that it is probably near impossible to police this sort of area, or even get agreement on what is really acceptable. So some tolerance is probably needed...

At least on my browser the images appear to be smaller than in your image, so some changes have been made.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote