Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Question [Help/Untested solution found] Router/Network problems

Hey All,

Posted this on other sites and hit a brick wall.

Running OSX 10.3.9 on both computers with Verizon DSL and connecting through DHCP. Well my imac is always connected to the ethernet cable and I log out and put it to sleep. With my powerbook what I do is log out, put it to sleep and disconnect the ethernet cable so I can put my powerbook away. What I noticed that started happening to my powerbook first is that sometimes I would have to reboot to have network access even though when I open up network on system preferences it says that it's active. This happened to me like 4 times on my powerbook and once on my imac. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I discovered the problem when I try to run firefox and was unable to connect or when Adium does not connect. Weird...TIA for any help.

Clarification April 26, 2005: Yesterday my desktop had the problem again. I restarted and I got my connection back. I didn't want to sit on this any longer cause it's frustrating. From another forum it said that I need to set up a static IP address. Apparently the IP range changes and screws up my computer's connection. I'm logging out and putting the computer to sleep each time and I guess it's a hit or miss when I log back in cause it doesn't happen to me each time. I found some further information about static ip's and how to set it up. It seems easy and I will try it tonight. Instead of just DHCP it should be manual DHCP and I should type in a different IP for each computer once I set up a static IP in the router. I'll see what happens.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Untested Solution Found: I did a google search and as it so happens some other users were having a similiar problem as me. The fix is so simple its funny but I haven't tested it yet cause the problem has not come back yet for me. Users reported that it worked for them.

In the terminal type
Code:
sudo ifconfig en0 down ; sudo ifconfig en0 up
You will be asked for your password which is your normal log in password.

I also found two applescripts that do the work for you. One you don't need to enter a password but anyone with access to your computer while it is logged in can read your admin password. The other one you need to put in your password when prompted. Paste the text into the script editor and save as an application so you can launch it when needed.

Apple Script 1

Code:
do shell script "sudo ifconfig en0 down; sudo ifconfig en0 up" password "your_password" with administrator privileges
Replace "your_password" with the one you usually log in with.

Apple Script 2

Code:
property userpassword : ""

if userpassword is "" then
   display dialog "Please enter your password:" default answer ""
   set userpassword to text returned of result
-- The repeat section below is an optional error checking routine to ensure the password is valid
set the_password to "Undefined"
   repeat until the_password is "Correct"
      try
         set theFinderPID to do shell script "ps -axww | /usr/bin/grep '[/]Finder'| awk '{print $1}' | head -1"
         do shell script "renice 1 " & theFinderPID password userpassword with administrator privileges
         do shell script "renice 0 " & theFinderPID password userpassword with administrator privileges
	   set the_password to "Correct"
	on error
         display dialog "Sorry, the password entered was not correct. Please try again:" default answer ""
         set userpassword to text returned of result
     end try
   end repeat
end if

do shell script "sudo ifconfig en0 down; sudo ifconfig en0 up" password userpassword with administrator privileges
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert