Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
shevirsy
Banned
shevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3
Unhappy How do I get my highlights off Kindle?

I received an older Kindle as a gift. And I like it so much better than my Samsung reader. The Kindle, although from the same year as the Samsung is so much better than the Adobe junk. Apart from having to convert the books I have from epub to mobi, now I'm glad Samsung is out of the reader business.

Anyway, Kindle comes with some limitations. I read here I can't organize the books into folders (they call that collections) unless I register. No problem. I just load less books.

But today I have finished reading a very good book. And I have highlighted quite a few pages. Apart from writing the notes by hand, which pretty much beats the idea of having an ereader, is there a way to download the notes and highlights? Do I have to register to have this function? Do I have to install some new software?
shevirsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The notes and highlights are stored in a text file on the Kindle called "MyClippings.txt". Just copy this file onto your PC via the USB connection.

Why don't you want to register your Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
shevirsy
Banned
shevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the end

Yea, I have located MyClippings.txt when looking around on the mounted files. Somehow I wanted the text embedded into the book by magic.

As for register, unfree software which I can't changed is bad already. Letting such a device get online all by itself is against my religion. Maybe if I get parental controls for electronic devices, I'd be willing to consider it.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevirsy View Post
As for register, unfree software which I can't changed is bad already. Letting such a device get online all by itself is against my religion.
It doesn't "get online all my itself". It gets online if - and only if - you turn WiFi on. You can turn WiFi on to register it, and then leave it turned off if that's your preference.

Quote:
Maybe if I get parental controls for electronic devices, I'd be willing to consider it.
The Kindle does have parental controls.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
shevirsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It doesn't "get online all my itself". It gets online if - and only if - you turn WiFi on. You can turn WiFi on to register it, and then leave it turned off if that's your preference.
It makes perfect sense. Only I have already used the device and I don't want it to share with Amazon anything.

My twisted logic goes like this: if Kindle wasn't made to harvest for data, the user wouldn't be persuaded to go online.

Quote:
The Kindle does have parental controls.
Ok. I have missed that. Where?
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's somewhere in the settings - perhaps someone else can advise? It's not something I've used personally.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
shevirsy
Banned

Thank you Harry. Now back to the original question

> Apart from writing the notes by hand, which pretty much beats the idea of having an ereader, is there a way to download the notes and highlights?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you Harry. Now back to the original question

> Apart from writing the notes by hand, which pretty much beats the idea of having an ereader, is there a way to download the notes and highlights?
Only by:

1. Using the "MyClippings" file on the Kindle itself.

2. Using the web site http://kindle.amazon.com (but obviously that only works if you're online and sync your clippings and highlights with Amazon's servers).
Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
shevirsy
Banned

I move a lot. Sometimes I don't get a place with WiFi access. So I find offline solutions better / more useful. I get it there are quite a many restrictions in what I am looking for. But if it was that easy -- I wouldn't have written here.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Menu ==> Settings ==> Device Options ==> Parental Controls.

There is always the Block Big Brother Firewall hack for Kindle.

EDIT: On my Kindle Touch -- I don't know about the Kindle Keyboard.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-12-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: kk/KT
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #11
shevirsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Menu ==> Settings ==> Device Options ==> Parental Controls.
Hahaha

Thank you.

For a moment Harry's ignorance sparked some hope. I meant Parental Controls for Kindle in the sense that I need some options to block Kindle and NOT another human for doing this or that.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
shevirsy
Banned

Anyway, if you are reading this thread because you have the same problem, disregard Harry. Having 60k posts can tell a lot of things about the user and accuracy is not one of them.

The answer is in Calibre. The Annotation extension. It works fine.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2853161
Old 09-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You have a rather strange way of thanking people who are taking the time to actually try and help you. That's certainly the last time that I'll waste my time trying to do so.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Hahaha

Thank you.

For a moment Harry's ignorance sparked some hope. I meant Parental Controls for Kindle in the sense that I need some options to block Kindle and NOT another human for doing this or that.
Thank you for your rudeness.

HarryT only mentioned Parental Controls on response to YOUR random tangent:

Quote:
Maybe if I get parental controls for electronic devices, I'd be willing to consider it.
If you decided to mentally connect Parental Controls with Amazon Controls, you have nobody but yourself to blame. HarryT certainly did not encourage you to think so.

I may actually have inadvertently encouraged you to think so, thus your abuse should've been directed at me. NOTE: The main purpose to my post was to alert you to the BBB Firewall, which will actually have the effect you wanted.

Quote:
Anyway, if you are reading this thread because you have the same problem, disregard Harry. Having 60k posts can tell a lot of things about the user and accuracy is not one of them.
60K posts may not tell you anything about the accuracy of them, but reading many of those posts and observing the accuracy does tell me things about the user. (So does the fact that he has somehow managed to become a forum editor/moderator and is on the administrator board.)

Quote:
The answer is in Calibre. The Annotation extension. It works fine.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2853161
That is certainly one answer, but so is:

Quote:
The notes and highlights are stored in a text file on the Kindle called "MyClippings.txt". Just copy this file onto your PC via the USB connection.
...the first thing HarryT said to you. And neither will embed the notes in the ebook itself, anyway

Unless the answer you were looking for had to do with blocking the WiFi? In which case I feel obliged to inform you that the Annotations plugin does not secretly also install a filter on your Kindle.

I am now regretting referring you to the plugin in that other thread -- I don't like helping people who thank their helpers the way you do.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-13-2014 at 10:41 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I am now regretting referring you to the plugin in that other thread -- I don't like helping people who thank their helpers the way you do.
shevirsy has been suspended, since at least early this morning, so nothing to regret.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, highlights, kindle, notes