Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Boox T68 Plus

In case anyone is interested, Banggood.com now has the T68 Plus and a few other Onyx devices on sale. The main differences seem to be that the Plus has 8GB of internal storage and 1 GB of RAM. As far as I can tell, all other specs are the same as the "old" T68.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
DoctorWkt
Connoisseur
DoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmos

Device: T68 Lynx, T68+
I've just bought one to replace the T68 that I sat on. I'll post a semi-review when it turns up.
Cheers, Warren
DoctorWkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Wha is the difference between this an C67ML (beside the slightly larger screen size)?

The android version is even earlier.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I can't speak for the T68 Plus, but I had a T68 some time ago. It had a number of glitches and was fairly slow. The C67ML is quicker, has fewer glitches, and is compatible with more apps. The T68 really needs a faster CPU and some other hardware improvements. It has a good screen, but needs better hardware to support the screen. Perhaps the increase in RAM in the Plus will help here. We shall see.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The T68 really needs a faster CPU and some other hardware improvements. It has a good screen, but needs better hardware to support the screen. Perhaps the increase in RAM in the Plus will help here. We shall see.
Yes, I agree. The T68 works perfectly as ereader but is a bit on the slow side to work comfortably as a tablet. It works, if you really need it, but not always comfortably...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
DoctorWkt
Connoisseur
DoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmosDoctorWkt has become one with the cosmos

My T68+ just arrived from bangood.com along with a free cover (thanks!). So far I've rooted it with Cydia Impactor. Using adb, I can see these differences between my Lynx T68 and the T68+

Code:
                Old      New
Partitions
----------
/system        364M     364M    
/data          495M     495M    
/cache         247M     247M    
/mnt/sdcard    2G         5G      

Memory
------
MemTotal:      478996 kB  999180 kB
Both the Lynx T68 and the T68+ report an ARMv7 Processor rev 10 and a Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite EVK Board. However, the Lynx reports a BogoMIPS of 790.52 and the T68+ reports a BogoMIPS of 1988.29.

I can't do a performance comparison just yet because I've heavily modified the Lynx T68 (ADW Launcher, many other things). Once I get the new device set up I'll do a comparison.

I'm a bit annoyed that the T68+ has more flash storage but they have kept the same /system, /data and /cache partition sizes.

More soon, Warren
Old 10-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
DoctorWkt
Connoisseur

A bit more information. The Lynx build is 1.6.3 dated 2015-01-10. The T68+ build is 11-48_dev_944bbe7 dated 2015-07-24.

Screen brightness is a bit different. I'm using the Power widget to cycle between low/half/full brightness. The Lynx T68 low brightness is the same as the T68+ medium brightness, and Lynx full brightness is the same as the T68+ half brightness. In other words, the T68+ is dimmer than the Lynx screen.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
DoctorWkt
Connoisseur

OK, I've got the new device pretty much the way I want it, apart from fixing the splash screens. My T68+ is definitely much dimmer than the Lynx T68. The CPU doesn't feel any faster, but the screen refresh is faster: probably 2 or 3 fps instead of 1 fps on the Lynx T68.

Now and then, about 2-3 second after a session of scrolling, the screen will do a full refresh on its own. It's a bit annoying but I will probably get used to it.

The touch screen calibration on the T68+ is as good as the Lynx, perhaps a bit better. Still, about one in every 10 or 15 keystrokes is picked up incorrectly.

Overall: I like the faster screen refresh, it gives the device the feeling of faster response. I'd wish they had allocated more of the 5G flash to /system, /data and /cache. Having more RAM might help to speed things up but only if you have a lot of apps running.

Cheers, Warren
Old 10-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #9
inmee
Banned
inmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: T68 Boox
Can you confirm the processor in Plus is identical to the non-Plus version except the operating frequency?

BTW, a few photos to show the brightness difference will be appreciated.

Thx.
inmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
DoctorWkt
Connoisseur

I'll try to do some photos or some video over the weekend to compare the two devices. I just ran Geekbench 3 on the T68 plus, here is the comparison against the Lynx T68:

There is no real difference in CPU performance.

Some more comments on the two devices so far. The Lynx seems to give much better contrast, especially if you scroll a book page or web page. The T68+ doesn't seem to bring the e-ink particles back to their original darkness: when you scroll a page, it becomes lighter than before the scroll. And the time to do a full refresh (holding down the menu button) is about twice as long on the T68+ than on the Lynx. I'm guessing that this is a firmware change and not a display change.

Still, I prefer the T68+ as it is more responsive than the Lynx.

Cheers, Warren
Old 10-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
According to me the Onyx T68 is a great device, but it has accuracy problems with the touchscreen and It is often very frustrating to use it :-(
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
DoctorWkt
Connoisseur

I got up early and made a video comparison of the two devices.

If the embed doesn't work, here's the Youtube link.

Apologies for the ums and the hasty editing!

Cheers, Warren

Last edited by DoctorWkt; 10-23-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: include youtube link
Old 10-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #13
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

I've noticed right now (banggood.com/) that the Onyx t68 Plus has an infrared touch screen. Instead the Onyx t68 has a capacitity touch screen. Is it correct? I haven't seen in DoctorWkt's video how Onyx T68 Plus works about undertiling words and sentences on Alreader or Neo Reader, but using a different technology Onyx T68 Plus should work properly about clicking, selecting things and underlining, right? I was thinking to buy the Onyx i86 only for resolving the accuracy problems of the touch screen on my Onyx T68, even if the Onyx i86 has a screen too big for me, but if the touch screen works properly on the Onyx T68 Plus I could think to upgrade with it. What are your thoughts about it?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWkt View Post
I'll try to do some photos or some video over the weekend to compare the two devices. I just ran Geekbench 3 on the T68 plus, here is the comparison against the Lynx T68:

There is no real difference in CPU performance.

Some more comments on the two devices so far. The Lynx seems to give much better contrast, especially if you scroll a book page or web page. The T68+ doesn't seem to bring the e-ink particles back to their original darkness: when you scroll a page, it becomes lighter than before the scroll. And the time to do a full refresh (holding down the menu button) is about twice as long on the T68+ than on the Lynx. I'm guessing that this is a firmware change and not a display change.

Still, I prefer the T68+ as it is more responsive than the Lynx.

Cheers, Warren
I think the problem are the last firmwares: they refresh the pages too often and don't bring back the pages to the original darkness, that's why I've on my device the Booxtor firmware (20141014): it works much better than the last ones. I was thinking to install on my device the last firmware (only because there're some improvements about Neo Reader) and after using this app to correct the refresh mode > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVF6FgBx3Y

Unfortunally Piotr4 has not yet published the App on Google Store.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #15
cicabum
Addict

Have I said something wrong? No answers :-(