Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I guess it all depends on who is buying whom. And which CEO is in charge?
In this case...
Quote:
The international media groups Bertelsmann and Pearson announced today that they will combine the activities of their respective trade-book publishing companies, Random House and Penguin Group. Bertelsmann will own 53 percent, Pearson 47 percent....

Upon closing, Markus Dohle, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Random House worldwide, will be CEO of the new group. John Makinson, Chairman and CEO of Penguin, will become Chairman of the Board of Directors. Additional senior executive appointments will be announced in due course. Bertelsmann will appoint five representatives to the group's Board of Directors, Pearson four. The new name will be Penguin Random House.
http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/news/20...-come-together
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #47
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks for that--although I must admit (having followed financial news for my former job) most of the time, one or the other gets forced out after a short time. And it isn't always the one with the "larger" shares/responsibilities. Merged boards mean power shifting. And none of that might matter to pricing as that could be meddling at a different level entirely.

I suppose it will at least be *interesting* and I'm not going to count on lower prices, that is for sure!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #48
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Forgive me if I'm skeptical towards claims of transforming digital distribution. The publishing industry hasn't just failed to be a leader in this domain; it's actively resisted change. Amazon has dragged it into the future kicking and screaming.

My greatest fear is that Penguin's rigorous editorial selection is diluted by Random House, publisher of Fifty Shades of Grey and other garbage. Penguin is (was) the only publishing house of the Big 5 to have a recognizable character reflected in the books they chose to publish. To my eyes the little orange, white, and black logo is an imprimatur of quality.

Last edited by holymadness; 10-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #49
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Forgive me if I'm skeptical towards claims of transforming digital distribution. The publishing industry hasn't just failed to be a leader in this domain; it's actively resisted change. Amazon has dragged it into the future kicking and screaming.
^^^ That. Exactly my feelings. There is a lot of doom and gloom in regard to eBooks when you listen to the big publishers.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote