Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #31
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
haha, that looks awesome

It makes me want to take all the metal off and just carry it around naked like that. Maybe cover it in some clear sticky tape.

Btw, someone mentioned painting the Reader. How? I hate how that damn metal feels on my fingers, so I've covered the whole thing in electrical tape. Now people see it and go "ooo, it's made by 3M."

Last edited by alex_d; 06-07-2007 at 11:09 PM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Electrical tape?!?! What? You were out of duct tape?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #33
alex_d
Addict

well, it's higher quality than scotch tape
Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #34
Marc
Marc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierUEAU View Post
I have a problem with my sony reader pr-500. The LCD don't work very well, because the contrast of LCD is wrong. Tomorrow I will send a photo of LCD.
The contrast on my Reader was such that I had a lot of problems with ghosting (visible remnants of previous screen images, even remaining on the screen after two or three page flips).

I sent it in to Sony for repair. The technician tried adjusting the setting to its lowest value so as to reduce the ghosting, but that didn't work. He ordered a new e-Ink screen for it, and that new screen works much better. I'm glad I sent it in.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #35
alex_d
Addict

Better to send it in. But I'm wondering if the resistor just isn't able to turn far enough. When I tried messing with the resistor, there was only a one-eigth-turn worth of slack in the decrease-the-contrast (clockwise) direction. So like I said, you should send it in. But if you've put blinking leds and spinning rims on your Reader and can't send it to Sony, I think maybe replacing that variable resistor with another would do the trick.
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
... I think maybe replacing that variable resistor with another would do the trick.
Maybe so. It depends on which end of the post (potentiometer -- AKA variable resistor for the non-electronics geeks) that "not enough slack" is on: the more resistance or the less resistance. If it was closer to the "less" end, then you're not likely to get any more out of a replacement, because the bottom of a pot's resistance is 0 ohms (unless the pot is defective, and doesn't get all the way there, of course). If you were closer to the top, then yeah, adding another, larger one might get you some more performance.

Before anyone starts in on replacing the thing, they should be aware that soldiering by hand on surface contact circuit boards is an ... interesting undertaking, and can be rather difficult to pull off.

But anyone who's likely to try that, probably already knows that little detail.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:18 AM   #37
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I saw the battery information link posted on these forums [copied below], but can someone please be a little more specific of where to buy a spare battery in the USA..? Like one of those IPOD repair places perhaps..?

Battery:

Sony Fukushima Sew
US473850 A7T
01C45NI22V

http://www.battery.com.cn/products/p...ail_29276.html

Thanks,
Fabian.

Last edited by flamaest; 08-26-2007 at 02:53 PM.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #38
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierUEAU View Post
This is a photo of the LCD. I opened the Reader, and I adjasted the contrast, but there wasn't any effect.
Sorry to be picky, but this is not a liquid crystal display. Please don't call it an LCD. To me, calling this an LCD display is very derogatory Call it "the display" or "the e-ink panel" perhaps. The display is what makes this device so good
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, I almost call it "the page."
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #40
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, I almost call it "the page."
What, the LCD? Sorry...
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #41
readerya
readerya began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Can anyone measure the voltage of the battery with a simple voltimeter-tester? DC.

Look for the battery that is mentioned here (US473850A8T) and is sold like 3,7 volts.

It is possible that it accepts voltages from 3,7 - 5,2 , or the Sony has an internal stabilizer IC to reduce the voltage from the charger (5.2 volts).

All pages to buy this battery are in chinese with register.

Here Sony Li-Polymer [ 3.7V ] batteries :

http://www.mdbat.co.kr/shop/shopbran...=012&mcode=002

I think is only to drop the yellow tape from PRS battery and sold 2 wires (red-black) from old to new battery.

But the problem is identify the correct model of battery and buy it in chinese.

sorry for bad english
readerya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #42
readerya
readerya began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
And another thing :

Battery from PRS-505 may be not equal to the PRS-500 as I see in this photos :

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2260/...g?v=1197648986

I can read only US32xxxxxxH

And I cannot find none battery with similar reference.

Although it appears from another manufacturer , ru ?
readerya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #43
rene.delboux
rene.delboux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The Built-in rechargeable battery in PRS-500 LIS1356HNPAQ (LITHIUM ION STORAGE BATTERY ASSY) is DC IN 3.7 V, and its code (for original battery replacement from Sony for $82.12 at servicesales.sel.sony.com) is X-2149-315-1. This partnumber does not appear on the battery itself, only in the Service Manual. A replacement (size and mAh) should be indicated by someone, as original parts are too expensive. This battery is probably 850mAh as indicated here http://www.pricerunner.fr/f/462/Acce...a_marques=sony.

The Battery is not connected to the main CPU but to a power control IC (a SN412005RHLR - the Sony IC responsible for supplying energy to the board, charging the battery, managing USB and AC power and Thermal Shutdown).

The PRS-500 runs with two CPUs (a Sub-CPU and a Main-CPU).

The Sub-CPU is HD64338002A21FPV - a Renesas 8-Bit Single-Chip Microcomputer
H8 Family / H8/300L Super Low Power Series - Mask ROM version H8/38002 Model HD64338002 on-chip memory ROM 16 kbytes RAM 1 kbyte - datasheet at http://datasheet.digchip.com/192/192...HCD6433800.pdf.
(Someone has a dump of this ROM?)

The Main-CPU is MC9328MXLVP20R2 - a Freescale Semiconductor i.MX Family applications processor with an ARM920T™ core that operates at 200 MHz. Integrated modules include a USB device, an LCD controller, and an MMC/SD host controller.
datasheet at http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit.../MC9328MXL.pdf
(There should be no ROM here)

In terms of internal memory the unit has 2x modules of 64MB SDRAMs (volatile memory for variables and program execution), 1x module of 2MB ROM (main bootloader/"bios" is probably here) and 1x module of 128MB ROM (where the "operational system" and books should be). So, when people say the PRS-500 has 64MB of free space for books they are considering what is left after applications.

Main ICs are:

2x K4M561633G-BN75T - SDRAM 64MB (connected to Main CPU)

S29AL016D90TFI020H-PRS01 - MOR-Flash ROM 2MB - Spansion 16 Megabit Flash Memory manufactured using 200 nm process technology, 3.0 Volt-only Read, Program, and Erase, 90 ns Access Speed, VCC = 2.7 - 3.6V, bottom boot sector device, 2,097,152 bytes (connected to Main CPU) - http://www.spansion.com/datasheets/s...4_e%5B1%5D.pdf
(Someone has a dump of this ROM?)

K9F1G08U0A-PCB0T NAND-Flash Rom 128MB (connected to Main CPU)
128M x 8 Bit NAND Flash Memory - 3.3V device: 2.7 V ~3.6 V, 1G bit with spare 32M bit capacity, 30ns cycle time per byte. Used for large nonvolatile storage applications such as solid state file storage and other portable applications requiring non-volatility.
(Someone has a dump of this Flash Memory? Procedures to restore factory settings should be changing this memory)

AK4365VN-L Audio DAC (connected to Main CPU)

R5C807 SD I/F Controller (connected to Main CPU)

CXD3452GA MS I/F Controller (connected to Main CPU)

APOLLO1-18 Ink Indicator Controller (connected to Main CPU)
S29AL004D90BFI010E-LUT-01 Flash Rom 512KB (connected to Indicator)
2x LY62L12816GL-55LL3 SRAM 1MB (connected to Indicator)

----

To Enter TEST MODE one should insert a memory stick with the following files:
autorun.xml,
icon.png,
key.png,
lut.bin

---

A change of the LUT (Look Up Table) is required when a INK INDICATOR ELEMENT, MAIN BOARD and FLASH ROM (IC1611) are replaced.

Vcom Voltage Adjustment - Vcom voltage for the display panel varies for each panel. Vcom adjustment is required when replacing a board or panel. To Adjust observe the negative side of C1666 on an oscilloscope, and use RV1601 to adjust the voltage that is generated when the screen is changed so that it satisfies the standard (oscilloscope at 500mV/DIV, 400 ms/DIV, must generate 1.3Vp-p between low and high).
rene.delboux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #44
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm where did you get service manual info from? I'd love to have a look at one... And if you have those test mode files it would be great to have a look too.
Dumping the main flash is not hard... on original firmware you could do it with my ebook.py script, with later ones you can run shell commands via autorun hook.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So would this be the battery used in the PRS-500?

http://www.etechtronics.com/catalog/...L-p-35150.html

Also, is the battery used in the 500 the same as used in the 505? If not, what battery is used in the 505?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote