Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Device: none
Is there any 'send to reader' or dropbox-type wireless functionality on the T1?

I was hoping to use the T1 to read some articles off the internet and simple pdfs, is there any easy way to get them wirelessly onto the reader? Some kind of dropbox-style syncing, or whispernet-style emailing, or using the calibre content server, I was thinking.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
You can send things to Instapaper, and download it straight to the T1 for articles.

Syncing isn't built in, but you should be able to download any documents from services like Dropbox that have a web interface.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Instapaper is superb. You can put online articles on it using a firefox applet, then go to the Instapaper site using the T1 browser, and either view individual articles, or download a well-formatted epub containing everything on your to-read list. Only slight issue is they don't have a mobile site, so it is marginally awkward.

For PDFs, upload the file to dropbox, then access m.dropbox.com on the T1 browser, and download to the T1. I'd also recommend Briss to trim margins.

Almost exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the reply.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, once hacked, the dropbox android app is available. And seams to work all right.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-25-2011 at 02:56 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
mrklaw
mrklaw began at the beginning.

no way to send via wifi from calibre? I'd like to avoid needing to connect via USB if at all possible as it'll be for my wife and inevitably I'll end up as IT support
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
You should be able to use the calibre content server, or calibreToOPDS
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, once hacked, the dropbox android app is available. And seams to work all right.
No need to hack, just download from m.dropbox.com.

I do it all the time.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
no way to send via wifi from calibre? I'd like to avoid needing to connect via USB if at all possible as it'll be for my wife and inevitably I'll end up as IT support
As EowynCarter states you can serve books wirelessly from calibre using the Calibre content server.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-31-2011 at 09:07 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
mrklaw
mrklaw began at the beginning.

thanks. That sounds like Calibre sets up a web server which you browse to and download? No way to auto deliver like calibre can by emailing to my kindle?
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
thanks. That sounds like Calibre sets up a web server which you browse to and download? No way to auto deliver like calibre can by emailing to my kindle?
No, the T1 does not have an email address like the Kindle. I've been using dropbox to transfer files wirelessly.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
No, the T1 does not have an email address like the Kindle. I've been using dropbox to transfer files wirelessly.
Dropbox is good, but there is no reason someone couldn't email to any Gmail account and use the T-1 to grab them from the email.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Dropbox is good, but there is no reason someone couldn't email to any Gmail account and use the T-1 to grab them from the email.
Yes, but gmail isn't what mrklaw was referring to. A Kindle has a unique address assigned to it through Amazon. You send a file to your Kindle's email address, and Amazon will wirelessly download it to your device - all automatically. Many people have their calibre libraries linked to this email process. You can even email your Kindle a PDF file and have Amazon convert and download a mobi file. There is no other ereader that has a similar function as far as I know.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Yes, but gmail isn't what mrklaw was referring to. A Kindle has a unique address assigned to it through Amazon. You send a file to your Kindle's email address, and Amazon will wirelessly download it to your device - all automatically. Many people have their calibre libraries linked to this email process.
I'm aware of this, doesn't change the fact that you can setup calibre to auto-send newly fetched news to your T-1 via your own personal email account.

Quote:
You can even email your Kindle a PDF file and have Amazon convert and download a mobi file. There is no other ereader that has a similar function as far as I know.
The conversion is unique, but that's why I have calibre.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm aware of this, doesn't change the fact that you can setup calibre to auto-send newly fetched news to your T-1 via your own personal email account.
Sure, but just because you can auto-send yourself email from calibre doesn't change that fact that it's still not auto-delivered to your T1 like it is with the Kindle. You have to log in to your email account through the T1 browser, find the email, and download it. It just took me 17 sec to fetch one news article and 4 min 58 sec to email it to myself via calibre. That's really slow. I find dropbox to be a much faster method, especially if you have multiple files. Then, all of your files are on a single web page from which you can download, and you don't have to go into each email individually. But, hey, it's good to have choices so people can pick the method that they like best. However, all of these choices on the T1 involve some amount of manual interaction, and it won't just magically appear on your home screen like it does with the Kindle email system.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Actually it doesn't work like that. I tried. A friend emailed me a pdf and when I attempted to download it to my T1, the download would fail. I'm guessing when it's an epub or pdf the device is looking for drm maybe?
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote