Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Installing PRS-505 Software on Vista64

I broke down and bought a PRS-505 yesterday while I was in Pennsylvania on business. Well, I was in Philly and drove 20 miles to the Sony Style store in King of Prussia.

I just wanted to relate that the installer fails on my brand new 64-bit Vista installation.

I was going to capture MSI logs and maybe open the installer up in ORCA and poke around (since part of my job is writing an installer for an application I develop). But then I decided to just install it in an XP Pro VM and then copy the resulting files. That seemed to work just fine.

I copied the C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Reader. Created a shortcut, and ran it. It worked just fine.

I was able to authorize my computer and my device. Download free books and download a purchased book.

I can only assume that the installer failed because it was trying to load the older driver for the PRS-500 onto the system. I can't say for sure since I didn't get around to any logging.

Anyway, it works and I'm happy.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
Well, I can see my PRS-505 as a drive on my windows X64 system so I can copy books over. But the installer fails. Maybe I can copy the C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader directory from my Vista(32 bit) notebook over to the X64 and see if it works.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The program will work, but the USB driver won't work as it's 32-bit only. There's no 64-bit USB driver. So I would stick with your laptop to run Connect or rather Ebook Library 2.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
Connect's (sony) USB driver does not work with win64, true. But simple transfers to the reader work for me from win x64 using microsoft 64-bit usb drivers, the reader appears as a drive. But I will pretty much stick with the notebook for the store
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you create collections using the supplied software and the generic USB driver?
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
also the books wont be pre laid out.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
MikeF74
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
also the books wont be pre laid out.
What do you mean by that?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't load a book via the Connect software, the Reader has to paginate it the first time you open it, or the first time you select a particular font size. Means you have typically around a 30s wait.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
MikeF74
Groupie

Oh I see... He was talking to those who were simply relying on the USB Mass Storage route. I though I might have been missing out on some benefit in my installation workaround.

If Sony doesn't want to rework the PRS-500 driver for 64-bit, then they should at least rewrite the software installer such that it skips over the installation of that older driver in 64-Bit environments. There was no need for the installer to fail on my PC.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Oh I see... He was talking to those who were simply relying on the USB Mass Storage route. I though I might have been missing out on some benefit in my installation workaround.
That's right, yes.

Quote:
If Sony doesn't want to rework the PRS-500 driver for 64-bit, then they should at least rewrite the software installer such that it skips over the installation of that older driver in 64-Bit environments. There was no need for the installer to fail on my PC.
All Sony need to do is digitally sign the driver. That's the only reason it fails to install on Win64.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually, PSRUSB.sys is signed (see PRSUSB.cat).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm. If that's the case, why doesn't it install, I wonder?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. If that's the case, why doesn't it install, I wonder?
Because it's not 64-bit. 64-bit Windows won't use 32-bit drivers.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you; I wasn't aware of that.
You were partially correct. It has to be 64-bit and signed to be a valid driver.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
vista's requirement for signed drivers means I for one wont be porting libprs500's USB driver to it. I find microsoft's attitude in this to be absolutely abhorrent.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote