Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Not quiet true. Varney the Vampire, for example, which was released in 1845 was had the puncture wounds from the fangs,has hypnotic powers, and has superhuman strength. He appears to have been the source for Bram Stoker's inspiration.

Vampire legends go way way back though, and vary greatly across cultures. The modern concept appears to have grown out of the Victorian era... but to your point authors do shift monsters... but my point is that it is not usually all at once.

No law says he cant try, and its been done before... its his world.
Good point I'd forgotten about ole Varney. There was also John Polidori's short story, The Vampyre which pre-dates even Varney by several decades(1819). The notion of Vampires goes all the way back to ancient Egypt from what I understand and probably to a time even before that. Grave markers in ancient times served two purposes, 1. they kept wild animals from disturbing the remains and 2. it was believed that the weight of the stones on the grave kept the dead from rising and causing harm to the living. So in a way Vampires and flesh eating Zombies could be said to have a common origin. It's just their means of causing trouble that differed. Of course the idea of Zombies also comes from the days of slavery. It probably at least in part came from Africa. What could be worse than having been enslaved in life and then being compelled to continue that enslavement even after death? Back then they were just a reanimated corpse made to work. It was believed that if they were fed something with salt in it they would become aware of their plight and return back to their graves (often after having killed whomever had restored them to the world of the living). No doubt there are a number of twists possible with any fictional monster though. I can imagine a storyline based on zombies right now. In the end (IMO) as long as things are consistent within the story world it's what the writer makes of it that matters, not what came before.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well the main problem with calling them "zombies" and they not being close to the core idea of "zombie" is that your first readers will likely be "zombie lovers" (sounds so wrong!!!) and they may not like what you did to their creatures which could cause bad reviews to hit the initial release of your book which could put it on weak footing for its start. An established author could pull it off much easier then a new indy of course....

Not saying do not do it just that you should understand the risk before you start. I personally stick with my recommendation that if you are going to change something, fold it in to the story/world somehow. These zombies are different because of alien dna, mad doctors potion, mutant pollen, or what ever.

Again, its your world and the key is to be consistent within your world.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Thanks for the input so far, you guys are awesome I wish Dr. Drib (or other zombie addicts) could give his opinion too, as he seem to be a major "Zombie Lover" and I think it would help.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
GFanthome
GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GFanthome can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Actually...

...I once saw a movie where one of the zombies had a sense of humour. Not too much - just enough to make him likable. Mind you, it was a bit of a dark comedy, but it actually worked.
GFanthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #20
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
And here I thought putting your own spin on things was a major aspect of the whole fantasy/specfic writing thing.

FWIW, Discworld has intelligent zombies. I can think of two named ones. One of them is in the police force and an undead rights activist in his freetime, the other's a lawyer.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #21
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
And here I thought putting your own spin on things was a major aspect of the whole fantasy/specfic writing thing.
Yeah I think that too. But some people don't like that we mess with their fictional human like creatures.

But I've already come out with a way to please myself (and my imagination) and the (hopefully) the crowd. It will only exist one intelligent Zombie at the beginning or at max two or three. That can change after a while but it will be well explained.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #22
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
Thanks for the input so far, you guys are awesome I wish Dr. Drib (or other zombie addicts) could give his opinion too, as he seem to be a major "Zombie Lover" and I think it would help.
Send him a message. He probably doesn't look in this group.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #23
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Send him a message. He probably doesn't look in this group.
Maybe I'll do that
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm a relative newcomer to Zombies (books or movies). I was first drawn in by a rerun of the Dawn of the Dead movie and have not looked back since. I think maybe the music might have had as much to do with it as anything in the movie, particularly the Richard Cheese and Jim Carroll tracks.

In my view, there has been surprisingly little develoment in zombie folklore, particularly in comparison to vampires. Apart from some that move more quickly (run), not much else that I have read has changed. In Day By Day Armageddon the irradiated zombies seem to be evolving a little, and it will be interesting to see what JL Bourne does with that in the third volume when that comes out later this year.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #25
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
You might find this useful:

http://bordersblog.com/scifi/2011/06...rs-or-carnage/

http://waynesimmons.org/blog/?p=260

It gives you an idea what sort of reaction you might get if you mess with the standard zombie. And he didn't change them anywhere near as much as you're planning to.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

I actually thought it was rather positive and optimist. But yes I do agree that maybe most people will either love it or hate it. I guess luck has to play it's part too, to be able to get readers that will like it before the ones that hate it. Because seems that starting with 1 to 3 stars is a no-no.

As he says they don't seem like the traditional zombies and even doesn't think in them as such, but there will always be people comparing them. So that will be a lesson for me even if I try to create something new.

But thanks, I saw people talking about those series in the Zombies thread but didn't know much about it, sure it peeked my interest. Thank you for the posts

BTW this story I'm thinking about in my head and that I can't seem to take it out until I put it down on paper isn't only about "zombies", but they're the main part of it and the ones that will suffer more changes from the traditional known traits.

One similarity I noticed is that I was thinking to drop the whole you've been bitten you will become infected thing. People will have to be infected directly from the source in order to be infected. This won't be an epidemic but rather a controlled infection. But I don't want to be given out much more to not spoil the (hopefully) to be book, probably I have been saying much more than needed already.

Sorry for the rather long post, this is really a bad habit of mine, so I hope I won't be making a book of massive size or at least one that isn't boring
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For a bit of light relief, and some food for thought in your search for character development @AkumaTakeshi, see below:

Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	zombie-pinip.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	73907
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
For a bit of light relief, and some food for thought in your search for character development @AkumaTakeshi, see below:

Lol

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Spoiler:
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #29
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Do whatever you want to do with them, but stray too far and traditional zombie fans will hate you just as much as traditional vampire fans hate the sparkly ones. I never really understood this brain eating thing myself, seems a bit far fetched to me when there are much easier parts to get at. That seems to have come from Return of the Living Dead, which was one of the worst zombie films ever.
the trashier, the better for a sickening society. Hey, sick!

If it's for the novelty of it, I'd like to see stories about crackhead zombies or emo vampires with AIDS...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #30
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
Lol

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Spoiler:
Now that is just sick

Tags
fantasy, fiction, traits, writing, zombies