Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
cheyennedonna
Edge User

For Anyone wanting to try the emulator

Life hacker posted a great tutorial here http://lifehacker.com/5587260/how-to...buying-a-phone
Have fun!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
walt526
Edge User

For the hundredth time or so, thank you so much, Cheyenne!

Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

Is there a way to get this to work on Mac OS X without running a virtual PC?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Is there a way to get this to work on Mac OS X without running a virtual PC?
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
There is a Mac OS download, and more info here.
BTW - adding Market and getting it to run is another process. The how to Geek will be covering that in a future post if you can't find it on your own.
Plus here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20703...-mobile-phone/ if you have access to an old windows mobile phone.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
robot
Edge User

Note that this will emulate default Android compiled by google but not an custom Android revision actually used on an mobile. It's take much more steps to emulate real device (like eDGe) on AWD.
Also if you just wanna have fun with android. You can search Android for x86 (there's several projects for different devices like eeePC or thinclients).

Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
pat.indie
Edge User

Thanks cheyenne.

As pointed out by others in this forum, there are ways to get market access through the emulator. I have been playing with the emulator with the help of some very friendly suggestions by another kind forum member. However, I have not been able to get the market access to work.
Has anyone had any luck with this?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
OncTech
Edge User

I found this post helpful. It's just a blogspot post: http://tech-droid.blogspot.com/2009/...-emulator.html

Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
pat.indie
Edge User

Thanks OncTech. That worked.
However, all the apps I tried from the marketplace did not install on edge. I wonder why.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Thanks OncTech. That worked.
However, all the apps I tried from the marketplace did not install on edge. I wonder why.
All of them? I have been able to get many apps this way. Most work, but some either are flagged "private" (free apps too, yet still private) which prevents offloading/backup, or when I try to install them on the edge, it says they cannot be.

My prefered method of offloading is to download/install from the market, got to Astro File Manager, back up apps I want, zip all of them into one file, go to dropbox, click upload and chose the zip file. Then when it's done, I shut down the emulator, open my edge and download the zip from dropbox, and install the apks.

Here is a short list of apps I have loaded after obtaining them from the market that work on my edge:
Borders Books
Kindle App
Jorte
AndCAD Demo
Factbook
Epocrates
Google Translate
First Aid
BeamReader Demo
Meebo
CNET Audio
Magic Doodle
HandyCalc

Disclaimer: I accept responsibility for any damage these actions may have on my device (though there has been none so far), as does anyone using the methods I have described. All apps I obtain have been free apps.

Last edited by OncTech; 07-16-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
kdonisi
Edge User

I had to use dropbox to transfer and install dropbox. A little ironic, isn't it?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
canezila
Edge User

I have the emulator working and want to get a market app but when I try it still says I dont have permission to open this page.

market://search?q=pname:com.mobileroadie.app_376

What gives? Is there no way, ever? to get these dumb free apps? (said in anger! it isnt really dumb.. ) Why must they close their apps to everyone. This is crazy!