Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #46
eltrkbrd
eltrkbrd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Broken hyperlink: Links | Getting Help with calibre

There is a broken link under the section "Links" | "calibre: Getting Started" | "Getting Help with calibre".

The correct URL is (without the / after help): http://calibre-ebook.com/help

Thanks for this super informative howto on calibre!

P.S.
Are there any significant differences between this post and the calibre for Beginners guide at:
http://stu.wccnet.edu/~rprice/Eng218/CalibreHelp?

Last edited by eltrkbrd; 11-01-2012 at 11:56 AM.
eltrkbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #47
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrkbrd View Post
There is a broken link under the section "Links" | "calibre: Getting Started" | "Getting Help with calibre".

The correct URL is (without the / after help): http://calibre-ebook.com/help
Thanks for letting me know about the broken link. Fixed.

Quote:
Thanks for this super informative howto on calibre!
You're welcome.

Quote:
P.S.
Are there any significant differences between this post and the calibre for Beginners guide at:
http://stu.wccnet.edu/~rprice/Eng218/CalibreHelp?
Yes.

"How I Manage…" is oriented toward strategy and workflow, how one calibre user does things. I assume the reader already knows basics about using the calibre Graphical User Interface and any specific commands, or at least can learn such things elsewhere, which is why there is a Links section "calibre: Getting Started". Except for Links, the content is intentionally example-based per one user's experience, strategy, workflow, and setup.

Becca's Help File "calibre for Beginners" is more about basic procedures and their commands, along with some basic tips.

Last edited by unboggling; 11-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #48
JJG
JJG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Calibre Collections

Hi,
Firstly I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but I am new and the forums are as complicated to me as Calibre
I have all my books organized by tags eg: science fiction, non fiction, fiction etc. On my Kindle I have them in the same collections as above, but every time I send a book to the device it always ends up at the bottom of the collections and I have to manually transfer the book into the right collection. I thought it was to do with sort by tags option but this does not work, or I am doing it wrong (more likely). Please help this complete dummy. I just want my book to end up in a collection as it is tagged.
Thanks in advance
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Hi,
Firstly I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but I am new and the forums are as complicated to me as Calibre
I have all my books organized by tags eg: science fiction, non fiction, fiction etc. On my Kindle I have them in the same collections as above, but every time I send a book to the device it always ends up at the bottom of the collections and I have to manually transfer the book into the right collection. I thought it was to do with sort by tags option but this does not work, or I am doing it wrong (more likely). Please help this complete dummy. I just want my book to end up in a collection as it is tagged.
Thanks in advance
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635

Complicated Forums?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #50
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finally deleted the ISBN custom column. Decided I don't need to see ISBN at a glance in booklist, and don't care if ISBN exists, is ISBN10, or ISBN13. Over 99% of my books are fiction and popular nonfiction, as opposed to multiple-edition technical books. Seeing ISBN in Book Details one by one is sufficient for the exceptions.

Last edited by unboggling; 05-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
unboggling
Wizard

I consolidated some columns:
  • Deleted composite column ISBN (as mentioned above); identifiers shown in Book Details.
  • Prepended Notes column data into Comments, deleted Notes column.
  • Added Misc column, appended Kinds and Awards into Misc, deleted Kinds and Awards columns.
  • Replaced Status column with Read column.
  • Replaced People column with Authors2 column, and replaced shared search name with shared search auth.
  • Hid Date column; added Date to Book Details.
  • Deleted composite column Template_Test after realizing the column Formats2 could be temporarily used to test templates.

Booklist looks a little cleaner, needs less space for columns. Order of my shown columns is Author(s), Series, Title, Published, Formats2, FQ (Format Quality), Pages, Size, Genres, Misc, Read, Authors2, Publisher, Source, Updated.

Last edited by unboggling; 05-29-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #52
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
I am using a Mix of the following:

Calibre to Organize on Laptop.
Reading on the iPad.

For reading a mix:
ePub - iBooks + Marvin (some dont work well in Marvin)
PDF - iBooks + Good Reader (Better) (has DropBox, GDrive, SugarSync)
mobi - Have a bunch but not used yet - Kindle App? Any others?

Is there some kind of easy way to PUSH and PULL the books from Calibre to these APPS?

Send to device sends it to iTunes - Books section for Sync. Which is fine.. but what about when I'd like to send certain books to the other APPS outlined above?

Some kind of PLUGIN/ ADD-ON Send to MARVIN, GOOD READER etc would help
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #53
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Is there some kind of easy way to PUSH and PULL the books from Calibre to these APPS? ...Some kind of PLUGIN/ ADD-ON Send to MARVIN, GOOD READER etc would help
As described in Post #1 of this thread, in the section Reading -> Load Devices -> Choose Loading Method, there are a number of ways to push or pull for iPad. I'm not much of an iPad user anymore and not familiar with Marvin app. I suggest you explore each method (USB cable, Web Browser from Server, Reading App from Server (for all reading apps you're interested in), and Dropbox (or alternative) and decide what method and apps you're most comfortable with.

Also you can ask about specific iPad stuff in the Apple Devices forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=170, which has many threads about iPad reader apps including Marvin.

Edit: See the plugin IOS Reader Applications.

Last edited by unboggling; 11-24-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #54
unboggling
Wizard

A couple of general workflow questions for calibre community. I'm curious:

When processing new books into calibre, do you:
1. add books then assess/fix format then download metadata?
2. add books then download metadata then assess/fix format?
3. assess/fix format then add books then download metadata?

I used to do 1, now I do 1 or 2 depending on mood or source. 2 seems most efficient if the formats are generally good. If the formats are often not so good, 1 may be better.

So which do you do?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
A couple of general workflow questions for calibre community. I'm curious:

When processing new books into calibre, do you:
1. add books then assess/fix format then download metadata?
2. add books then download metadata then assess/fix format?
3. assess/fix format then add books then download metadata?

I used to do 1, now I do 1 or 2 depending on mood or source. 2 seems most efficient if the formats are generally good. If the formats are often not so good, 1 may be better.

So which do you do?
I think #1 if you mean by 'fix format', correct/adjust/edit contents of the book.
I want that done before any additional conversion
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #56
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think #1 if you mean by 'fix format', correct/adjust/edit contents of the book.
I want that done before any additional conversion
Yes, by fix I mean fix format problems. I think of conversion as part of assess/fix.

But do you grab (download) metadata before fixing any format problems, or after?

Last edited by unboggling; 12-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #57
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always update the metadata first - so that I can sort and search on it, even if its not 100% (is it ever) its better than nothing.

Then I worry about the content - converting, getting rid of accumulated dross, pettifying [sic] etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Yes, by fix I mean fix format problems. I think of conversion as part of assess/fix.

But do you grab (download) metadata before fixing any format problems, or after?
Before, after: makes no never-mind as long as it is good before conversion.

Modify EPUB is gentle on my adjustments so running that after is still good
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #59
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Before, after: makes no never-mind as long as it is good before conversion.

Modify EPUB is gentle on my adjustments so running that after is still good
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So, clarifying the terminology I used above, you:
add books, then download and edit metadata, then assess/convert/fix format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I always update the metadata first - so that I can sort and search on it, even if its not 100% (is it ever) its better than nothing.

Then I worry about the content - converting, getting rid of accumulated dross, pettifying [sic] etc.

BR
So BR and theducks use choice 2.

-----
General workflow order. When processing new books into calibre, do you:
1. add books, then assess/convert/fix format, then download/edit metadata? or,
2. add books, then download/edit metadata, then assess/convert/fix format? or,
3. assess/convert/fix format outside calibre, then add books, then download/edit metadata?

Last edited by unboggling; 12-03-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #60
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should add, that I do a preliminary assessment before I add material to a calibre library - i.e do I really want to keep this. If not then I usually make a note of its existence in Evernote, often with a clipping and a link to where to get it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre workflow, ebook management strategy, ebook management workflow